Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

She looked at it and said "Is it supposed to look like that?"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She looked at it and said "Is it supposed to look like that?"

Well Lets just say after 28 months of re-building my Evo... from bodywork to Full build, I found myself in a small chain of events that just hit me one... after another.

I finished the build in late November... Early December. I broke in the engine, and a friend referred me to Jestr Tuning to get my baby tuned. So after fixing this leak, that leak, this issue and that issue, the car started to look, drive and feel nice. I started doing highway pulls here and there... JUST ENJOYING THE CAR since it was so long.

I felt as if the street car that I thought I was building will be nice and comfy and I would enjoy taking it on trips and cruises etc. I loved the fact that I can have a FAST car with power steering and a/c. I WAS SADLY MISTAKEN. The Avid Bushing mounts I got makes the car vibrate like a maniac... its loud... obnoxious and its well... lets just say... ITS RAW! I love it... but it is flirting with the whole street car, race car line. I felt as if I should gut it... cage it... and throw on some slicks and make it a nice drag car.

SO HERE IS THE STORY OF WHY IM POSTING THIS!

I had an idle issue... my car just started idling at 2200-2800 out of the blue one day. I couldnt figure it out. The only way the throttle would go down is if I blip the throttle really fast... and then my gas pedal would get stiff and I would have to push it pretty hard for the accelerator to go down. IT WAS ANNOYING.

I decided to replace it with another throttle body I had sitting around. I replaced it and took the car for a little ride. I noticed that if I did a quick shift while in boost the engine would hit rev limiter. When shifting slow it was fine. I didnt know what it was. After I stopped at the gas station, i tried to get back on the highway and my clutch pedal went to the floor. i was officially screwed. I called AAA and got it towed home.

The next few days passed and I attempted to make sure the slave cylinder was the culprit.

I took my intake off to gain access to the slave and thought that there must of been something wrong with it. My Competition Clutch twin disk uses a reverse mount slave BTW. I then said "let me play with the turbo. It is a FP BLACK and only has like 900 miles on it, and I wanted to make sure that it was all good. I noticed a little play going from the hotside to cold side. I began to get worried. I took a video of the play, then I took a second video of the car running at idle, then called FP. I told them the issue and they said the turbo is out of warranty. (I bought the turbo way before I finished the build) YAY ME!!! I put the intake on and left the car overnight.

The next day I went to change the slave cylinder and took the intake off once again. Something told me to play with the turbo again... and IT COMPLETELY SEIZED! That day I saw the a vendor on here (Moore Automotive) was selling a setup for a decent price. It was a Brand new FP BLACK with a Shearer Forward Facing Manifold. The wastegate flapper was welded shut and it required 2 Tial MVS wastegates. So I knew it would require some work... but I was down for it. I love being different and anything to have my car stand out from the rest of the herd... I am all about it!

The car was just delivered to my friends shop (Big Hurt Performance) where he will fabricate the new dump tubes, downpipe, and lines to make it all run. I am pretty excited so stay tuned!!!

Here is a run down of some of the mods before the pics that I have so far,

GSC Built 2.3 stroker
Eagle Rods
Manley 9:1 pistons
GSC S2 cams
GSC Beehives
Competition Clutch Twin Disc

FYI... I have stock T-case, Trans and Stock intake manifold and Throttle body!!!

Here are the pics.

Waiting for the tow truck

AAA is the best investment!!

I jsut had to put the manifold on jsut to see how it looks.

AC out!!!

Turbo mock up

Looks small!!!

THATS ALL FOR NOW FOLKS!!! I WILL KEEP UPDATING!!!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machine coming along really nice Mr. B
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Trevor. I look forward to the completion!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear about the turbo, hopefully this works out better... good luck
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Was it a journal bearing Black that seized?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Was it a journal bearing Black that seized?

i kinda dont wana kno, but my guess would be so
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yes guys it was a journal black... And i replaced it with another journal bearing black becasue the deal was too good to pass up!

To rebuild the current black it is $410 for a traditional rebuild or $1900 to go ball bearing... Ball bearing may be worth it... But not for that price!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

And i hope it all goes well!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:18 PM

Best wishes for the future, hope to see her roaming C-town and scaring kids again soon
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTINAT30PSI
To rebuild the current black it is $410 for a traditional rebuild or $1900 to go ball bearing... Ball bearing may be worth it... But not for that price!
i feel you man, i never imagined the ball bearing upgrade would be so much
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

cartmen... this time it will be sucking up the little children from the cold side. lol
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

I can understand charging me $410 for a rebuild and another $500 for a ball bearing upgrade... NOT 1900.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

sickkkkk....
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Looks good except for that STi mini-wing thing. IMO, looks odd on an evo just like a vortex generator looks odd on an STi. Other than that it sounds like you have a killer set-up.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

looks like its gonna be nice when done, keep me updated. Also how do you like your front Blue cusco bars by your intercooler?
MIKE

Quick Reply: She looked at it and said "Is it supposed to look like that?"