Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Late build: Quest for a 700hp street car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late build: Quest for a 700hp street car

Enjoy,

I bought my car early March of 2008 from dbotkin5 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-interest.html). I remember 2 things while driving out of the apartment complex the day I picked up my new car. I remember looking in the rear view mirror seeing Daniel watching as I drive away in his old car, and I remember making that first left turn as I exited the complex while giving the car a little gas- being sucked into my seat- I could have sworn this is the fasted car in the world. From that moment I was hooked. I also knew what I wanted out of the car as soon a I bought it.

I didn't plan on putting money into the car when I bought it. But I was 20 or 21 then so you know how that goes. One of the first things I did was put a new BR 2.0L block and head after returning from my first deployment to Iraq. The new motor was decided due to the #3 cylinder having considerably lower compression than the other 3. Upon removal it was discovered the #3 piston was actually cracked right down the middle.

Then apun arrival from my first deployment to Afghanistan I upgraded my drive train to BR Bushwacker tranny and Shep Stg. II transfer case with Quaife LSD as well as upgrade my worn Exedy twin disk to a triple disk. On top of that I had the shop install my new BR half rad with -12 upper and lower lines and removal of my A/C, BR ported intake manifold and BR ported throttle body. The triple disk didn't last very long. I think I lasted 3-400 miles. I encountered the same problem as this member was experiencing where there were gouges worn into the friction disks and the hub had grooves worn through them, except mine was worse. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...en-before.html) I couldn't get into 1st without shutting the car off first. I quickly ditched the triple disk idea and went back to a brand new Exedy twin. All is better- or so I thought. Keep reading.

I then move to California.

I wasn't done yet though. There was one more thing I needed to do. Convert to speed density and upgrade the intercooler and a VTA blow off valve. So I contact Robert and Rick at RRE to help me out. They were more than willing to. Now that the motor and drive train were stout and I was now running on speed density I decided to volunteer for another trip to Afghanistan. This is where things get fishy. I left my car with my friend Robert so he can install parts as I bought them while I was still deployed so my car would be done when I return. On the list were BR FF HTA86, BR v-band TBE, ID 2200 injectors, BR double pumper, L19 head studs, STM front and rear bumper supports, JDM rear bumper, as well as some other parts.
Pictures of build updates while I was deployed.

Simple plan right? Well..... When my car was on the dyno Rick was experiencing a fluctuation in RPM at WOT. During troubleshooting it was concluded that my BR 2.0L motor with less than 60k miles on it destroyed a thrust bearing. The block was done. Immediately I knew the culprit. The twin disk that I had converted to a triple disk was the cause. It had to have been. When I still had the triple disk in the car I was experiencing intense bucking and lurching while in the stopped position going into forward movement. I was determined that if I just drove it around for a while longer that it would eventually go away.

Well I had to so something so I bit the bullet. I bought a new block and had Robert rebuild it for me.

I return from my deployment and 3 months later I pick up my car.

I fell in love all over again. It was a new animal and it wasn't even fully tuned yet. My goal now is to break in the motor so I can get it tuned finally on 91 and E-85. Well 265 miles later I find this.

I suddenly get a headache and fed up with the car. It's a money pit and at times it just doesn't want to cooperate. But I still love it. I contact BR and let them know what's going on. They apologize and told me this has never happened before and ensured me that they would either fix it or replace it free of charge. They accepted the manifold back and repaired. Unmatched customer service. While the exhaust manifold is off I decided to take off the o2 housing and dump tube and send them to SwainTech and when my manifold was done I had BR sent it to SwaitTech also. Let me tell you the wait time for SwainTech is long if you're getting the White Lightning done. It's a 3 week process depending on the part. I received the o2 housing and dump tube Monday the 5th and the work they do I amazing. I'm still waiting on the manifold though, I should received it late this week or early next week. I'm not done though. I still need to break in my motor so I can finally get it tuned.

I'm deploying again early next year for #4 and thinking about getting

or a

I'm leaning more towards the Silverado 2500HD. What ever I get next I would like it to be semi-cheap but nice at the same time. I'd also like to get it payed off before December of 2015 since that is my new EAS date and I have no desire to continue this Marine Corps career.

Last edited by ch53avitech; Aug 23, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

I'll try to remember to keep this thread updated as my car comes along.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Holy crap, I have NEVER seen that happen to a manifold before, glad BR fixed it for ya!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I know man, David said he has never had that happen to one of his manifolds before. I'm just really happy he was willing to fix it.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, a lot happened with this car. Glad you are on the right path.

I hate modding cars but cant live without modding them. lol
Old Aug 23, 2013, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Finally!

My exhaust manifold arrived from Swain Tech. Their work is amazing. I am very pleased with the work they do. Unfortunately I had to deface their artwork.

I went to O'Riley's and bought some VHT White paint and went to work. I live in the barracks on MCAS Miramar and I wasn't issued my own paint booth and garage, that was their fault.

I don't have any pictures as I was installing the parts because it was in the dark which wasn't easy as I was using my cell phone light to see what I was doing. I got the exhaust manifold and o2 housing a little dirty as I was installing them but not too bad really. Just needs some touch up paint. I think everything really turned out just fine.

Now my question for everyone is. What color theme should I go with now. Eventually I'd like to have all the hot parts WhiteLightning'd and painted white. All that's left really is the turbine housing and downpipe. I don't know what color I should have the valve cover, wastegate, BOV, and intake manifold powder coated. I kinda want to keep all the hot parts white and all the cold parts a different color. I really like the copper vein powder coat for the valve cover. I don't know how I would like having everything copper vein.

Whatever I get I don't want black. Black has been done time and time again. I want to do something different. Opinions???

Thanks for reading.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:58 PM

Inspiring to say the least
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome build keep up the work!

PS Get the Duramax! I have an 05 and love it almost as much as the evo!!!!!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

FML I need a DD. My car won't start now. The starter clicks but the engine never turns over. When I attempted to jump me car the engine turns over great but never starts. I'm thinking dead battery or cam position sensor. Battery is on order.

Last edited by ch53avitech; Aug 25, 2013 at 05:37 PM.