Notices

Reckon this will work?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:27 PM
eze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reckon this will work?

I been thinking about this for a while, if I took the top off my carby + removed all the intake piping, then put a scoop on my bonnet above the carby intake, will this make a difference to air flow. I reckon it would look pretty nice tho

I'm thinking its probably not a good idea, but I wonder what would happen if I actually did it?

I have a CC lancer with the 4G15 carby
Old Sep 12, 2003, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

It may do *scratches chin*, but all in all.. if i did, i'd source a holley to stick under that air catcher.. i wonder how'd our engines go with a 200 or a 250.. but you'd have to make up a bracket that fits between the orginal carby port..

I've been trying to sit down and work a way using an SU carby( like the mini's sorta) and using a ram air pod behind the headlight like EFI.

If you can get the SU going, you can run a Turbo, using the suck through method (wet compressor) ( this is what i had, but getting it tuned is sooo hard, thats why i gave up), or if you ambigiuos enough, you can set it up for the Blow through (dry compressor) which allows you to run a Blow off valve, and an intercooler.

This is first way is how the old factory Turbo Sigmas and Scorpions were setup..

Pete
Old Sep 12, 2003, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

That is quite interesting Pete, I was not sure how you did set up your turbo on your lancer but now I know...hmm.

I am unsure about you (eze) actually cutting a hole in your bonnet. I did contemplate doing the same thing when I had the CC Lancer but I decided against the idea. I tried a few things with the intake on that car, but they all seemed to work about the same as each other unfortunately. So I would hate for you to cut the bonnet to have little if any power gain.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 02:56 AM
eze

Yeah I didn't really want to put a scoop on unless there was actually a reason for having it. There's a CC bonnet on ebay for $30, but it's off a GSR and I think it only fits the sedan version.

PS rexhunta, did you buy a muffler off that dude on ebay?
Old Sep 12, 2003, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno if that gives you any details, but you can see the SU Carby just in front of the turbo there..

Thats exactly how it was done, but like, the turbo was at the front of the engine bay.. i wonder if it had something to do with the intake pipe being too long, or the way it curved..

One day i'll have another crack at it
Old Sep 12, 2003, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by eze
Yeah I didn't really want to put a scoop on unless there was actually a reason for having it. There's a CC bonnet on ebay for $30, but it's off a GSR and I think it only fits the sedan version.

PS rexhunta, did you buy a muffler off that dude on ebay?
is his nick something like bestmufflers ? if so, yes.. that was him.. after i made a new 2.5 inch pipe, it was great, sounded nice.. atm my mates g/f has 'borrowed' it, on her Mr 2 door, and sounds so nice

I'll get it back hehe
Old Sep 12, 2003, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

Pete thanks for the pics of the set-up on the Sigma.....it makes more sence, and now I can sort of figure out how it would have sat on your Lancer.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 03:08 AM
eze

it's a pity that turbo setup didn't work out, I woulda loved to do that to mine, alas money is in short supply lately + cbf tuning a carby turbo which like you know is an absolute farker.

I am interested in replacing the carb though, are there any cars that they pull straight off and go onto the 4G15 without mods?

and heh, I bought a muffler off that guy ages ago, it's so good, adjustable baffle is great.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

i havent got the adjustable baffle, mines just the normal loud as one which i like !!

I have a spare SU here i want to get rid of, it thinks it is a 1.5 inch, suitable for our engines, i want to sell for 50 bucks..

i bought a spare one, but i just didnt use it.. so its sitting there in my shed

Pete
Old Oct 1, 2003, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Heres another shot of the suck through carby method, this is on my mates l200 ute.. t3/4 hybrid turbo..
Attached Thumbnails Reckon this will work?-turbo-ute.jpg  
Old Aug 6, 2005, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by rexhunta
I have a spare SU here i want to get rid of, it thinks it is a 1.5 inch, suitable for our engines
Pete
Will an SU bolt straight on to the CC manifold or does it need an adaptor?

Cheers!

Jim.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A73 Lancer
Will an SU bolt straight on to the CC manifold or does it need an adaptor?

Cheers!

Jim.

From memory diffintely needs and adaptor.. been a while since i had my lancer to remember.. but i'm sure it does..