Notices

legnum with 4g93 upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
legnum with 4g93 upgrade options

Hi, I've got a 1998 Legnum Wagon with the 4G93 1.8 litre engine in it, with the 4 speed tiptronic gearbox.

My biggest concern is that is just doesn't have enough power in the 2000rpm - 3000rpm range, where I do most of my driving.

It already has a 3" exhaust package on it, which extends right through to the extractors. I don't know if it has had any other modifications.

What would be a good way to go about increasing power in that rev range? The other option of course is to find a 6A12 or 6A12 Mivec engine to swap out.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More power

Brad

Some fundamental mistakes have been made with your car

Firstly a 3" exhaust system will net you a power LOSS, sorry but thats the truth. You need a nice set of headers, then keep most of the system stock until the tailpipe section which should then be 2" with a free flowing muffler. You will have HEAPS more torque and net a power gain above what you have now. The pipe you are running now could possibly benefit if you could get motor to rev to 10 000 rpm

As for the extractor type, you will need an interference set to get some power that low down in the RPM range.

The 6A12 is a waste of time in its stock form. It runs exactly the same times as a 4G93 providing both are stock. Hows that for bad news, some people only learn this after fitting the engine and wonder why there isn't much extra power, then remember the motor they fitted is quite a bit heavier, the actual net gain expected almost becomes a performance loss at the quarter mile