Notices

Car Audio Q's.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2004 | 06:33 AM

Question Car Audio Q's.

Hey everyone. I know I could have searched for another topic like this but parts and components change, so I made a new one.

At the moment Ive got a completely stock standard 2000 GLi 4 Door, and Im now looking to put a sub into it.
Im a student without much moola so I was looking at getting a Pioneer 12" with a 1000 Boss amp, and leaving the rest of the stereo stock.
I know that Boss aren't the best at amps, but they're cheap and pretty damn powerful.

My current line of thinking is this:
Use the 4 inside speakers for treble and mid-way level bass, and use the Sub to really pump up the tunes.

Would this work?
Also, can anyone reccomend a better sub or amp for the same cost as the two items Ive mentioned?

Thanks all.
Old Mar 7, 2004 | 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Hey
Well im not sure how good are the stock speakers on a 2k lancer but the ones in 93 one were shocking. So i got some Pioneers yay! 6" in the front doors and 6x9's in the back shelf.
Got myself a nice head unit also Pioneer 45watt x4 +mp3 one, and does it go well. No amp or anything and its pretty loud.

I was also thinking of getting a sub for that real thump in the back, so i got my mind on a 10", 10 is nice and punchy where as the 12's and over are a deep bass. So u need a good quality speaker+amp to give u a really nice defined low bass, and not just some muddled up distorted "oomping"
So definately stick with pioneers they are great, as for the Boss amp not sure, maybe save up some money and get youself something decent (Alpine, or Pioneer) and it bound to put a smile on your face!
This is me at the moment
Old Mar 7, 2004 | 07:40 PM

Mine came stock with an Alpine head unit and I *think* the speakers are as well.
The current speakers are great, I was thinking about just leaving the stereo stock altogether, becuase it pumps out the sound so much!

Ive seen & heard the Pioneer and Boss amp combo in acion, it sounded really great to me, but if there is anything better out there on the market for the same price let me know.

Oh, and am I correct in thinking:
"Use the 4 inside speakers for treble and mid-way level bass, and use the Sub to really pump up the tunes." ???
Old Mar 7, 2004 | 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Adding a head deck will make the 4 stock speakers really play better and louder and then It will make your sub set up that much cleaner and better sounding! YOu can do that with out a problem and it is how lots of people do upgrade for more bass!!
Old Mar 7, 2004 | 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

I just redid my stereo.

It was a biatch. Someone had wired the security system and the Turbo timer to the stereo system. WTF?

So when I started pulling all these bits out which I had no idea what they did, the car wouldn't start, then wouldn't keep going...

In the end I got it all going.

But anyway, learning from my experience, do you have a RCA non-fading output from the back of the stocker? If not, you might not get the best quality sound by hijacking off another output.
Old Mar 8, 2004 | 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

i got a 94 CC 2 door my system is
Sony Xplode CD 45 x 4 = $220
Kenwood 6x9 2 ways = $80
pioneer 6' = $70
audioline 2 x 200 amp = $80
US audio sub 12' 400watt= $50
box = $50
wire kit = $30
BANG FOR BUCK cause i can tell u now u can hear me commin

as for u using the standard deck BIG NO NO!!! standard decks are ****, they never provide good sound... my uncle bought a new falcon and paid for the 'premium sound package' he was raving about how much he paid and how loude it was... i said get in my car, played Nellyz IZ U... the look on his face was priceless, he looked at his car and ****en cursed all day
Old Mar 8, 2004 | 04:39 AM

Originally posted by oodles
Mine came stock with an Alpine head unit and I *think* the speakers are as well.
From my experience all lancer "stock" systems came with clarion decks & speakers so if u say ur deck is an Alpine then it must be aftermarket. This means that the Alpine head unit has the ability to connect to an amp.
As for ur sub/amp combination it should do you fine. If u are concerned about what speakers to use for what then i suggest u buy a relatively cheap set of tweeter and add one to each of your front speakers this will dramatically improve ur sound quality as u leavee your stock speakers for midbass, your sub for low end and the tweeters will take care of your treble
Kev.
Old Mar 8, 2004 | 03:07 PM

Hmmm forgot what the price of each component was in my car been close to 2 years now but it cost me $2,500 all up with discounts I should of paid $3,000 but I know people in the car audio business.

Just install a new pioneer cd player in my girlfriends car makes a huge different and since my car was off the road for a while I installed my 2 X 12" subs and amp in her car.

I think my subs where around $200 each and the box was free custom made amp was $500 something head unit was $750 and the 6x9's were $200 something and a couple of other things that added up, all the wiring was free top of the line stuff
Old Mar 8, 2004 | 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Kebin

From my experience all lancer "stock" systems came with clarion decks & speakers so if u say ur deck is an Alpine then it must be aftermarket. This means that the Alpine head unit has the ability to connect to an amp.
Im really a noob when it comes to Car Audio, but I do know that the 2000 Lancer came with an Alpine deck, I first thought it was Clarion buts an alpine, I saw one in another same model lancer I was considering when I bought mine.

How would I go about determining if my head unit, or for that matter any other parts of my current audio are what?
Eg: Make, model, Output, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2004 | 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know how much I should be buying an AudioLine AL4200 Amp of a guy for? 4 x 200W, hence the name. He wants $175 but I might be able to get him to $150 ... is this reasonable or not?

And what are good for some quality 6x9's? under $150?
Old Mar 12, 2004 | 07:39 PM

check these guys out: http://www.cpaudio.com.au/ there stuff is rather cheap but i have heard 2x12's running for a low lvl amp and they where bloody brilliant... kicked the crap out of the boss set up next to it....

Last edited by j3bu5; Mar 14, 2004 at 04:26 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2004 | 01:26 AM

Originally posted by oodles

How would I go about determining if my head unit, or for that matter any other parts of my current audio are what?
Eg: Make, model, Output, etc.
Pull the speakers out and inspect them. If they are stock then they wont be anything special
For the headunit you should look out for rca preouts hanging from the back of the stereo The stereo should also have a label on the back/top/bottom somewhere indicating a model number if you can get that then u can most likely search it on google and find specs on it
Old Mar 14, 2004 | 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Also depends on the acoustics of your car, I've seen Identical systems in 2 different cars and they sounded so different...

And yes the 97 Lancer came out on top :d over a bloody Carolla Hatch.
Old Mar 14, 2004 | 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Holy crap.... Mad song for testing out your bass... On Kazaa look for USAC Bass Test - SSS Bass Test. (1,287kb - 1m49s).

It starts at 300 hz and cycles down to 30 hz in steps of 10 hz... its Awesome. Just played it then over my Logitechs, it kicked *** so I put it on CDRW and chucked it in my Bose Lifestyle 25 Home Theater System. The sub on that is Amazing... then again its a $2500 Sound system. My whole house was shaking.
Old Mar 14, 2004 | 09:40 PM

i am using a PPI PCX5800 5ch amp, eclipse CD5423 head unit, MBquart QSD216 compo system, and 1 rockford TRF2212 12'' sub. when you go for speakers, go for quarts, boston acoustics, or focals

Last edited by new_B; Mar 14, 2004 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Audio Q's.