Notices

2011 National Street Tire Challenge - June 4

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011 | 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

2011 National Street Tire Challenge - June 4

The Texas Region is hosting a Bridgestone National Street Tire Challenge event at Mineral Wells on June 4, with a "regular" Texas Region event the following day on June 5. The NSTC is a unique event, so I thought I would explain a bit.

• The event is limited to cars with 140 tread wear or higher tires.
  • There are 5 classes, All Wheel Drive (A), Front Wheel Drive (F), Rear Wheel Drive (R), Muscle (M) think Optima Ultimate Challenge cars, and ST (T) for all SCCA ST classes.
  • Classing is according to SCCA rules.
  • Finishing order is determined by PAX.
  • The overall winner is the car (other than ST class) with the fastest PAX.
  • ST cars can run in ST where everyone is PAXed together or can run in A, F or R on their SP index and be eligible for the overall win.
The following prizes are available: Overall winner gets a set of RE-11s. Also a participant drawn at random gets a set of RE-11s. Class winners receive the following: a $250 Bridgestone tire certificate, an Optima Battery certificate and a certificate worth up to $100 from SPS/Solotime. Second and third place finishers are also eligible for SPS/Solotime prizes.
Old May 17, 2011 | 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

1. SiliconTek
Old May 17, 2011 | 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

1. SiliconTek
2. justin81
Old May 17, 2011 | 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know if another MW event on my street tires would be a good idea, but imma try. Believe that. I suppose I could just go for broke, shred them and leave with some new RE-11's anyway (yeah right).
Old May 18, 2011 | 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WORD
I don't know if another MW event on my street tires would be a good idea, but imma try. Believe that. I suppose I could just go for broke, shred them and leave with some new RE-11's anyway (yeah right).
Sounds like a good plan!!!
Old May 19, 2011 | 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

1. SiliconTek
2. justin81
3. WORD (depends on tires)

I don't think I can resist this one.

Here's the thing: I've budgeted two events per month. Doing this would mean missing ER on the 26th (gf and I are going to New Orleans anyway) and PCA. I had already planned to do BMW#4 on 6/18 (Bus Lot), which leaves me one more event for June .

Ultimately, the deciding factor is going to be my tires' condition after Bus Lot next weekend with NTAXS. I'm extremely impressed with the level of grip from the DW's, but am equally concerned about the chunks missing already after just one MW event. Afterall, I never meant for these to be autox tires.
Old May 20, 2011 | 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

If you have to miss ER anyway you might as well do the tire challenge. I'd skip the PCA anyways since it's only 4 runs, but that's just me.

I'm same as you two a month, except in June I'll hit all 3 (NSTC,BMW,ER) but it's hard to stay away from MW since I only do NTAXS,BMW,ER. August and Novemeber are the only months with no events at MW. I think one MW even a month and your tires will be toast by August.
Old May 20, 2011 | 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

I won't be able to make the ER either, we are having our baby shower. I am going NTAXS and Tire Challenge.
Old May 20, 2011 | 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

If you guys aren't going to ER I'll probably skip it too. The wife would be happy for me to save some money lol, then again I only have 1 I can make in July so maybe i'll do it. The 24th is my Mom's bday so i can't make that ER event.

I was thinking about doing the Texas Time Trials on the July 23rd. I wonder if the TTT would kill my tires too fast. I think they are all at MW. A bunch of laps may eat my R-S3s up.

Last edited by justin81; May 20, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 20, 2011 | 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justin81
If you guys aren't going to ER I'll probably skip it too. The wife would be happy for me to save some money lol, then again I only have 1 I can make in July so maybe i'll do it. The 24th is my Mom's bday so i can't make that ER event.

I was thinking about doing the Texas Time Trials on the July 23rd. I wonder if the TTT would kill my tires too fast. I think they are all at MW. A bunch of laps may eat my R-S3s up.
I wouldn't do any more laps at MW than you need to. Especially, if you don't have funding for a new new set of tires. Running 8-10 runs isn't bad but I wouldn't go there and just do lap after lap for the hell of it, unless they are going out anyhow. I plan on doing a PCA Time Trial when mine get close to giving up the ghost.
Old May 20, 2011 | 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Driving home from MW on sticky tires makes your car sound like a Jeep. They get so torn up out there...
Old May 20, 2011 | 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
I wouldn't do any more laps at MW than you need to. Especially, if you don't have funding for a new new set of tires. Running 8-10 runs isn't bad but I wouldn't go there and just do lap after lap for the hell of it, unless they are going out anyhow. I plan on doing a PCA Time Trial when mine get close to giving up the ghost.
True, I'll do that one with you. I'll bail on the TTT. I might still do the ER now. The wife said she doesn't care if I do 3 in June since I only have one in July.
Old May 26, 2011 | 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

The Foley / Wagner team is going to win the all-wheel-drive class.

No question about it in my mind.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 National Street Tire Challenge - June 4-foley-evo.jpg  
Old May 26, 2011 | 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday

They are winning in FP, so I don't see why not! Very good drivers to be winning in FP with a BSP car...

I am really only going for the seat time and the chance of winning a set of tires (random entrant).
Old May 26, 2011 | 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday

I wonder if they will let me ride for one run.

Is this 4 runs or 8??

Quick Reply: 2011 National Street Tire Challenge - June 4