May 12-13 Grand Sport Speedway
HPDE & Time Trials Only

June 9-10 Hallett Summer Shootout
Time Trials & Racing Only

June 30-July 1 Harris Hill Road
HPDE & Time Trials (no points) Only

Sep 6-9 Mid Ohio Sports Car Course
Time Trial & Racing National Championships

September 22-23 Hallett Motor Racing Circuit (with NASA Central)
HPDE, Time Trials (no TX points), Racing (no TX points)

October 6-7 Eagles Canyon Raceway
HPDE, Time Trials, Racing

Nov 10-11 NOLA Motorsports
HPDE, Time Trials, Racing

for anyone not familiar with NASA or time trialing, even if you have never been on a track before, you are welcome to sign up and have fun. the HPDE are schools going from absolute beginner, to level 4 which run with the time trial group.

we had a good number of evos representing at all the events this year but would love more! two of the events are close to the DFW complex (within an hour), and the rest are scattered throughout texas/Ok

i promise you will never have more fun in your car then at one of these events
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day I would love to come join in on this, I am a few years away though. You guys give'em Hell!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

I'll definitely be making it to the two local events in March and October.

I'm going to try really hard to make it out to Hallett if there is a group heading out there.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for putting up the list, Kevin. I was too lazy to do it.

I'll be making most of the events this year. The only one I know I can't attend is TWS in April. Stupid finals for school. I'll probably try to go down there sometime with Drivers Edge so that I can redeem myself and conquer that track.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Looking forward to an exciting season!!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:41 PM

I'm gonna try to make most of the events as well, and hopefully get TT certified!

Also, Todd educated me on my incorrect math on how points are spent in nasa TT. Turns out I was not including the 5 point penalty for Forced Induction. Unless I run the car with street tires in 245 size, there's no way to run in TTB. So, since then I was thinking over the weekend what makes sense in terms of points in TTA.

With 19 points in TTB for X MR, there's potential to spend 20 points to max of TTA. How does this sound:
11 points for Hoosier R6 class slicks 275 (10 points + 1 since 265 is TTB max size)
5 points for shocks/springs
2 points surge tank (already on the car)
2 points exhaust

or
6 points for Hoosier R6 class slicks in 245 (10 points - 4 for size)
2 points surge tank
2 points exhaust
4 points roll center kit (is this correct, since its ball joint angle +2 and bump steer kit +2)

Instead of the roll center kit, I can also do the HFC and intake (includes UICP and turbo inlet upgrades) and have 2 points to spare for anything else. Not real sure how beneficial the roll center kit is, some ppl rave about them but 4 points is a lot.

OR
just get a tune and run the car with street tires in TTB...

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to share your setup in the open forums... any help appreciated!

Last edited by jtk968; Dec 25, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

I was trying to find the surge tank reference. Couldn't find anything specific. I would try to classify it as a free mod because it isn't helping the performance of the car at all. The rules say you can add a fuel pump for free if all it does is supply the stock pump. If use use two stock pumps, I bet you could argue for it.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jtk968
I'm gonna try to make most of the events as well, and hopefully get TT certified!

Also, Todd educated me on my incorrect math on how points are spent in nasa TT. Turns out I was not including the 5 point penalty for Forced Induction. Unless I run the car with street tires in 245 size, there's no way to run in TTB. So, since then I was thinking over the weekend what makes sense in terms of points in TTA.

With 19 points in TTB for X MR, there's potential to spend 20 points to max of TTA. How does this sound:
11 points for Hoosier R6 class slicks 275 (10 points + 1 since 265 is TTB max size)
2 points surge tank (already on the car)
2 points exhaust

or
6 points for Hoosier R6 class slicks in 245 (10 points - 4 for size)
2 points surge tank
2 points exhaust
4 points roll center kit (is this correct, since its ball joint angle +2 and bump steer kit +2)

Instead of the roll center kit, I can also do the HFC and intake (includes UICP and turbo inlet upgrades) and have 2 points to spare for anything else. Not real sure how beneficial the roll center kit is, some ppl rave about them but 4 points is a lot.

OR
just get a tune and run the car with street tires in TTB...

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to share your setup in the open forums... any help appreciated!

hey Jeff,

for running TTA, i would stick with the R6 for sure. josh runs the 275, but i think he could run the 245 and still be ok (maybe slightly shorter sessions to not overheat the tires).

since you essentially have 20 points to play with, say you do go with the 275 R6, thats 11 points, 2 points for the surge tank (no way around that, however you can now add 1100cc injectors and run E85 for no extra cost in points). if you still have the stock exhaust on, you could leave that on, and just take the one point for the cat delete. thats a total of 14 points. then you could use two points for stiffer springs on the stock struts, and add sway bars, or go with a coilover that doesn't have the eternal resevior.

your going to have a lot of room to reduce weight though, i would focus on that and the free mods before buying parts to max out TTA. 3500lbs with you in it is a lot of weight to come off
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Todd06MR
I was trying to find the surge tank reference. Couldn't find anything specific. I would try to classify it as a free mod because it isn't helping the performance of the car at all. The rules say you can add a fuel pump for free if all it does is supply the stock pump. If use use two stock pumps, I bet you could argue for it.

unfortunately the surge tank is suppling the engine. so we have to take two points for it. but since he takes the two points, it makes running E85 easy, and an extra 30-40whp/50ftlb of torque
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the input!

For weight reduction, I planned on removing the rear seats, rear seat belts, maybe front passenger seat if in TT. But other than that, other weight reduction would cost money also, like lightweight battery. Any other simple places to remove weight without stripping the interior?

I also thought about removing the rear tow hooks, and coilovers would weigh quite a bit less than stock shocks and springs.
My reasoning on the exhaust was, I read that aftermarket exhausts also weigh a lot less, and stock exhaust is so quiet that my in-car videos weren't very exciting

Tires themselves cost about the same for 245 and 275 if I buy used so it makes sense to just get 275s. I know I'm not gonna break any records, but I'm just shooting for not consistently last place

Originally Posted by KevinD
hey Jeff,

for running TTA, i would stick with the R6 for sure. josh runs the 275, but i think he could run the 245 and still be ok (maybe slightly shorter sessions to not overheat the tires).

since you essentially have 20 points to play with, say you do go with the 275 R6, thats 11 points, 2 points for the surge tank (no way around that, however you can now add 1100cc injectors and run E85 for no extra cost in points). if you still have the stock exhaust on, you could leave that on, and just take the one point for the cat delete. thats a total of 14 points. then you could use two points for stiffer springs on the stock struts, and add sway bars, or go with a coilover that doesn't have the eternal resevior.

your going to have a lot of room to reduce weight though, i would focus on that and the free mods before buying parts to max out TTA. 3500lbs with you in it is a lot of weight to come off
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
i promise you will never have more fun in your car then at one of these events
I'm not so sure about that...

But yeah, I'm thinking maybe I'd like to add tracking to my list of hobbies. I just cant get over the thoughts of rolling the Evo. I want to but maybe I should start in a car that I don't love. Like maybe a 90's mustang or 2002 beetle or something.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday

But yeah, I'm thinking maybe I'd like to add tracking to my list of hobbies. I just cant get over the thoughts of rolling the Evo. I want to but maybe I should start in a car that I don't love. Like maybe a 90's mustang or 2002 beetle or something.
I agree but with me I would rather have my Evo on a trailer. There is nothing like being stuck hundreds of miles from home and having to call the wife and let her know you are stranded because your car go boom. When my car is paid off and I can manage to get a tow vehicle, game on!

Having that happen to me recently just 30 miles from home was enough of a pain in the ***.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday

Start out slow on 93 tune and street tires, you'll get the hang of it.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:04 PM

The amount of seat time will make you a junkie and the autocross jitters will make you look like one!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Finally signed up using the money I just got for selling the black Evo IX. Guess I'm going to need a new EvoM name now that I don't own a 06 MR anymore. Haha.

Quick Reply: 2012 NASA- TX Time Trials Schedule!