Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

time to ask

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time to ask

Okay guys, after countless hours of reading forums and skewed opinons about the likes and dislinks of the gt35rl turbo I did notice one thing. The people that liked the turbo most got it from AMS in a kit. Which was good to know considering I have been debateing this kit with another turbo kit for a long time now. I do want to ask ams directly on there time what makes there kit so much better than the others out there.. I mean its obvouse they put the wrench time in but I dont understand why people like there gt35r better than other gt35's whats the diffrence?

Another question I had as of now I have a vishnu stage 1 ++ car and im looking for some ***** to the wall power, however I want to be able to still drive my car everyday of the week. How streetable is the gt35 kit? I have heard from other vendors and companys that the gt35 (without a 2.4 bottom end) wont spool up to a decent boost befor 4500 to 5000 rpms, leaving me with 2k rpms to play with. and you need to be on race gas to have good power anyways. I have also heard read on your page its boosting 20 psi by 4000 rpms = 500 over stock . I just want to understand what im getting into. I guess my dream car would be a car, that if I took it to the track would lay down a sick low 11's high 10s or better time and I could still drive it around town everyday and, still be enjoyable. I know the times have a big jump and driver factor but if I asume a good drive was behind is more fare of a statement.

Well I wont bother you guys anymore. I just wanted to know from AMS what the gt35rl kit is all about and is it as bad as other vendors and people say (bad as in not street usable and that yoou need race fuel to even get a good whp out of it) So I guess all in all Im just asking how streetable is the gt35rl.

Well thanks
cheers
B

Last edited by EidolaDream; Apr 12, 2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, this has ticking time bomb written all over it. LOL

First and foremost I do not want this to start a pissing match with other vendors. Nobody wins when these things start and up to this point in time we have had a very good repore with our competition. There are so many things that make our kit what it is and you could take days to read about it here on EVOM. Really what it comes down to is results. Look at the fastests daily driven evo's out there. You will find one common thread in them....they run our kits. The quality of our kit is bar none better then anything we have come accross here at the shop. Great parts and great fabrication yield a great kit. I will leave the rest of this to our customers to chime in as well as martin himself.

I also want to toss in that I have had more customer referals on this particular product then anything else we have sold here. That really means alot and we thank all of you for that. If it wasnt for you guys I would not have 70 of these kits floating around the world. I do mean world too. we have sold over 20 kits overseas alone. if you have any specific questions on our kit I am deffinetly open for discussion.

Lastly our wholsale market. Nothing puts a smile on our face like hearing "wow, this kit is amazing" or "I have never seen a more well rounded and fabricated piece" hearing it from our customers is one thing but hearing it from our peers really hits home. So ask away and I thank in advance all the things I know our customer will say about AMS products.

Eric
Old Apr 12, 2005, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

For me the price difference between my RNR kit and AMS's was the parts that AMS had to replace or put in originally to get it to bolt up to the car.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for chiming in. I really hope I dont start a war with anyone.. I wasnt meaning to start a car pile up lol. I will go back a edit my post to look a little less like a flame war about to happen.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Wow, this has ticking time bomb written all over it. LOL

First and foremost I do not want this to start a pissing match with other vendors. Nobody wins when these things start and up to this point in time we have had a very good repore with our competition. There are so many things that make our kit what it is and you could take days to read about it here on EVOM. Really what it comes down to is results. Look at the fastests daily driven evo's out there. You will find one common thread in them....they run our kits. The quality of our kit is bar none better then anything we have come accross here at the shop. Great parts and great fabrication yield a great kit. I will leave the rest of this to our customers to chime in as well as martin himself.

I also want to toss in that I have had more customer referals on this particular product then anything else we have sold here. That really means alot and we thank all of you for that. If it wasnt for you guys I would not have 70 of these kits floating around the world. I do mean world too. we have sold over 20 kits overseas alone. if you have any specific questions on our kit I am deffinetly open for discussion.

Lastly our wholsale market. Nothing puts a smile on our face like hearing "wow, this kit is amazing" or "I have never seen a more well rounded and fabricated piece" hearing it from our customers is one thing but hearing it from our peers really hits home. So ask away and I thank in advance all the things I know our customer will say about AMS products.

Eric
thank you for the reply and I went back to edit my post. I do want to point out that when I say the gt35 has been called bad I mean simply the turbo alone. I did however have one last question. Please dont think im doubting your product. Is it pretty consistent on getting boost around the claimed rpms off your website or is there some catch?

Last edited by EidolaDream; Apr 12, 2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

First of all, I can't say enough about these guys. They have provided me with help more times than I like to count. They are always available and on point with the information they give, Eric and Martin especially. And most importantly, they STAND behind their products.

I had the same questions about spool you have when I was developing my road-race solution for my Evo. On a road-course, you don't want to be caught lagging off a corner, so boost response and lag were my largest concerns. Martin spent some of his spare time at Talladega, *cough* Modified Magazine This month*cough* going over boost response for all the various turbos they sell with their kits. It was amazing the level of detail he could recite for all the various recipes of turbos.

Before our discussion, I was leaning toward a 2071 or 3071 turbo, however, now I am rock-solid in my decision for the GT35R. In addition, I am staying with the 2.0L, and not going to the 2.3, because I want to expand the RPM band, and I simply cannot turn a 2.3 more than 7850/8000 safely. With the 2.0L, good internals, and a GT35R kit, I am hoping for a rock solid 400whp at low boost, and a 'usable' RPM band from 2900-8600rpm, which should allow for shift eliminations on some courses. At high boost, I am sure 600+ would be doable, pretty easily

Oh, and for the record, once you drive a big turbo car, you don't want to EVER go back. I can't wait to get mine finished, but with taxes and a wife; well it is going to take some time to add some serious ***** to my track car.

Last edited by Stop&TurnFreak; Apr 12, 2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMS has a great product, and best of all customer service is top notch. The GT35rl kit is very streetable in my opinion, I don't think you really need to do the stroker, it spools up fine. I believe that turbo is well matched to be streetable on top of making some insane power. Once you roll out of 1st it's always got the power right there, not really laggy in my opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

bottom line.... AMS is the **** and if you buy their products and have them tune them you wont have to worry about anything
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Guys thanks for the replys your makeing my step so much easier and lifting my worrys alot.. im glad this didnt turn into a big arguement.
But can some please chime in and explain how the driveability of the car is after the "ams" gt35rl kit. Im at ease in knowing that AMS is great but can I get some details lol.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:43 AM

Thanks you guys for all the great comments, we are happy you guys enjoy your kits. Jim
Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

EidalaDream,

Call them, and ask to speak to Eric or Martin. They both can give you more than enough information. I promise you they will be honest with you. They stake their reputation on Customer Service, I can't stress that enough. They both will be up front and honest, because, as you can easily see, they have alot of 'happy' customers. YOu don't get unsolicited comments like this on a board, selling products that don't meet expectations for both performance and function.

847-709-0530
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EidolaDream
Guys thanks for the replys your makeing my step so much easier and lifting my worrys alot.. im glad this didnt turn into a big arguement.
But can some please chime in and explain how the driveability of the car is after the "ams" gt35rl kit. Im at ease in knowing that AMS is great but can I get some details lol.

Pretty much depends on what system you are using to tune.