Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

2.3 stroker, .040 over pistons, GT35?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.3 stroker, .040 over pistons, GT35?

Martin and Eric,
If I wanted this setup (which I do), what would be the ideal 35R spec for great spool up and a car that could consistently run 11.0 at 129mph? I am in the market.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Boy, word travels fast.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=135776
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IIRC- not too long agao, you just wanted a car that could do 11.9's consistently.....now, you want 11.0 . haha, its cool, I was happy with 13.8, now I want 12.7.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Smog is going for the gold!
Old Apr 27, 2005, 03:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Martin and Eric,
If I wanted this setup (which I do), what would be the ideal 35R spec for great spool up and a car that could consistently run 11.0 at 129mph? I am in the market.
Careful...sometimes you get what you wish for. Nothing more frustrating than a car that runs consistent x.doh's!!!
Old Apr 27, 2005, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drews_WRX
IIRC- not too long agao, you just wanted a car that could do 11.9's consistently.....now, you want 11.0 . haha, its cool, I was happy with 13.8, now I want 12.7.

Well, you have no other choice when your engine pop like popcorn!!.

Smog good luck on your new project I am sure that everything will work out great for you
Old Apr 27, 2005, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Or you could always do things Az3ar's way and have a car that makes no power and is reliable, right?

If you read the subject header, you can see that he's building up a nice stroker.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

DO IT, SMOGGY! Walk into the light..
Old Apr 27, 2005, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
Or you could always do things Az3ar's way and have a car that makes no power and is reliable, right?

If you read the subject header, you can see that he's building up a nice stroker.

Last edited by Derek888; Apr 27, 2005 at 05:42 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO

Another dumb post by you. They keep adding pretty quick
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Go for it Smoggy ... hehe, I know I am

I've got a whole bunch of questions on the AMS GT35 kit running on a built 2 liter vs 2.3 stroker... will post them later.

l8r)
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Just so people know:

The night before a recent California Speedway drag race, I installed a manual boost controller on my car. I had a theory that it could hold more boost than the Xede, which still uses the stock (but modified with a bleeder valve) boost selonoid. At first the MBC seemed to taper EXACTLY like the Xede, so I was kind of happy to see the Xede DOES hold boost well. Anyway, on my second run, I turned up the boost nearly an entire turn. I figured since my car was tuned on VP100 and I was running VP MS109, and since the MBC tapers a lot, I had a little tuning wiggle room. IE Evo now calls these attempts at tuning "SMOGGYSPEC."

My car lost a little power at the end of the run and was running rough in the pits so I pulled the plugs and the #3 plug had half of the ceramic missing from around the electrode and had oil on it. Here is the funny thing though, all of the plugs, including #3, had no visual signs of detonation on them at all. Even the #3 plug was still gapped perfectly. Because of this, Chris and Alfred at Tuning Technologies haven't ruled out simple spark plug failure caused by mild detonation. When the motor was taken apart, it was easy to see the marks where that ceramic was smashed between the head and piston and the crack across my #3 piston starts right where these marks are. The rest of the motor was undamaged.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Apr 27, 2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Just so people know:

The night before a recent California Speedway drag race, I installed a manual boost controller on my car. I had a theory that it could hold more boost than the Xede, which still uses the stock (but modified with a bleeder valve) boost selonoid. At first the MBC seemed to taper EXACTLY like the Xede, so I was kind of happy to see the Xede DOES hold boost well. Anyway, on my second run, I turned up the boost nearly an entire turn. I figured since my car was tuned on VP100 and I was running VP MS109, and since the MBC tapers a lot, I had a little tuning wiggle room. IE Evo now calls these attempts at tuning "SMOGGYSPEC."

My car lost a little power at the end of the run and was running rough in the pits so I pulled the plugs and the #3 plug had half of the ceramic missing from around the electrode and had oil on it. Here is the funny thing though, all of the plugs, including #3, had no visual signs of detonation on them at all. Even the #3 plug was still gapped perfectly. Because of this, Chris and Alfred at Tuning Technologies haven't ruled out simple spark plug failure caused by mild detonation. When the motor was taken apart, it was easy to see the marks where that ceramic was smashed between the head and piston and the crack across my #3 piston starts right where these marks are. The rest of the motor was undamaged.

smoggyspec I miss IE he was funny dude. Smogy stop playing with things keep your hands in your pockets. remember that day in Oakland when you said how much it worries you changing between maps and you were worried about my mbc at the gas station lol. I still remember that day every time I pop the hood.

can we see some pics of the engine please?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Just so people know:

Do you think your mishap with the sparkplug was a result of your turning the boost up, or was a problem you had beforehand?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
Do you think your mishap with the sparkplug was a result of your turning the boost up, or was a problem you had beforehand?
Chris and Alfred feel that it could be simple spark plug failure, but I think the coincidence of the MBC going on just before the failure is too strong to ignore.

Quick Reply: 2.3 stroker, .040 over pistons, GT35?