Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS One Lap of America Updates

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an absolute blast wrenching on the Evo all afternoon yesterday! A close friend of mine had a similar problem last year on his Talon due to a 40psi overboost mishap, that shot one of the freeze plugs out of his block, too. All the work was worth it when we got it back together and Martin and I took it out for some beatdown runs in the paddock area to see if anything else would crop up.

That car at 13psi in the pouring rain (and I mean POURING) is a rather enlightening experience. I couldn't believe how well the tires stopped in the rain/standing water in the paddock area, especially considering the big rotors on the car.

Very cool day. If any of you are even within 2-3 hours of any of the tracks they will be at next, I DEFINITELY recommend checking it out. If nothing else, just for the sheer number of incredible cars there!
Old May 3, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoBig16G
Very nice rims! Anybody know the name of those rims?
Look similar to joe250's https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...vomfeatures/44
Old May 3, 2005, 07:03 AM

They're still in third place in class after yesterday's NHIS events, but not sure what place overall they're in now.
Old May 3, 2005, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are 13th overall, and 3rd in class.
Old May 3, 2005, 07:07 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

So, a truck is winning the event???
Old May 3, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

It is a pretty good race so far. The truck is in the top, definitely, but their is a vette and porsche becoming more consistent as the events rage on. I think he tires on the truck are starting to show wear, he is losing his buffer more every race.
Old May 3, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

It isn't really a truck. It is a tube framed race car with a truck body. Makes a good conversation piece, though.
Old May 3, 2005, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

We have to hope that Subie and that Srt4 are dogs on the drag strip. This is one event that AMS should win outright. Hopefully, there are several really fast straight line mid-priced sedans that can beat the subie and srt4. That could help AMS move up in points considerably.

BTW, last year Vishnu got heckled by some of their ardent detractors when they lost here and there to the same "truck." Comes with the territory I guess.
Old May 3, 2005, 07:58 AM
Account Disabled

As long as they come in first I really don't care. They need to come out in first. I just want them to win so bad. We need someone from Chicago to represent damn it!!!! Go AMS go....
Old May 3, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, first in class would be nice, but that Rota STi is hauling and kicking *** ...whatever setup they're running, it's pretty damn good - gonna be pretty tough to catch. That SRT-4 definitely gots to go though...

l8r)
Old May 3, 2005, 08:47 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
We have to hope that Subie and that Srt4 are dogs on the drag strip. This is one event that AMS should win outright. Hopefully, there are several really fast straight line mid-priced sedans that can beat the subie and srt4. That could help AMS move up in points considerably.

BTW, last year Vishnu got heckled by some of their ardent detractors when they lost here and there to the same "truck." Comes with the territory I guess.
Kinda ironic that an Evo, a car world renowned for its handling abilities, is depending on a drag race in order to move up the leader board. I have much respect for AMS but it seems they either underestimated the competition or just aren't that good building a decent handling car.
Old May 3, 2005, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
Here are some pictures I took of the day's events:
http://www.turbocarz.com/shapegsx/onelap/index.html

ling bling! Doesn't even look like it lost all its coolant, does it?

Great Shots Shape (U got Skilz ), felt like I was there. That NSX intercooler set-up looked interesting, was it supercharged of turbo'ed?

Go AMS!
Old May 3, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
Kinda ironic that an Evo, a car world renowned for its handling abilities, is depending on a drag race in order to move up the leader board. I have much respect for AMS but it seems they either underestimated the competition or just aren't that good building a decent handling car.
IMO it's not that they can't build a decent handling car, but that they probably didn't allow for enough time to dial it in and work out all the bugs. The thing that disappoints me is that they are the only Evo in the race this year. Would have been nice to see more. Someone needs to convice Robi to run OLA next year...

l8r)
Old May 3, 2005, 09:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
IMO it's not that they can't build a decent handling car, but that they probably didn't allow for enough time to dial it in and work out all the bugs. The thing that disappoints me is that they are the only Evo in the race this year. Would have been nice to see more. Someone needs to convice Robi to run OLA next year...

l8r)
I don't know that that is quite fair yet. In their defence they have had problems each time they've gone out so far. There are plenty of events left for them to excel and others to have issues. Keep the good vibe flowin'...

It would take a car beyond Robi's to win, IMHO our OLA car last year was quicker than Robi's car (no proof, just my opinion). His car is the right direction in that it is much lighter than stock. If I could just get someone to lend me the Cyber EVO for a week
Old May 3, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

must be the rotas lol. Rotas rule!

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Yeah, first in class would be nice, but that Rota STi is hauling and kicking *** ...whatever setup they're running, it's pretty damn good - gonna be pretty tough to catch. That SRT-4 definitely gots to go though...

l8r)
oh yeah.. and bring the cyber evo to this even and game over!

Quick Reply: AMS One Lap of America Updates