Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS stage 1 questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS stage 1 questions

I've been doing alot of research about the Evo since I bought it a month ago. I'm interested in eventually doing all the stages at AMS, but probably will do stage 1 before the end of August.

Here are my questions:

1. How much will the installation cost?
2. Are there any people on this forum who dynoed/dragged while stock and then dynoed/dragged it after with timeslips or dynosheets? (I am always weary of hp claims by shops or suppliers, even though I read the stage 1 article).
3. What effect will stage 1 have on my driveability and gas mileage?
4. Do you guys think it is money well spent (from people who've had it done)?
5. How is AMS stage 1 different/better than Buschur stage 1?
6. Will the SAFC constantly have to be retuned, or will the settings remain until other mods are added?

I'd appreciate input from the AMS guys, as well as people who have had stage 1 or similar work done at AMS. From looking at people's mods and hp numbers, I can't help but think that the hp claims on stage 1 are a little high.

I'd like to know approximately what I can expect in hp gains and 1/4 times. If the claims on the website are true, about 310-315 whp and very high 12s, I will be in the shop within 3 weeks.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Dunno about 310-315 to the wheels (probably need cams for that). I'd say you're gonna be looking at something around 270whp or so on your average AWD Dynojet ... BUT ... running high 12's should be no problem at all with an AMS stage 1.

l8r)
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those HP claims are accurate. we did 290 whp with just an AFC.

Installation is $357.00 and the car will drive like stock. we actually lean the car out a little bit so you burn less gas under WOT.

Eric
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

^^ what did the same Evo put down stock on your dyno? I'm not doubting the numbers you got, but dynos do vary afterall.

l8r)
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:56 PM

I've got the AMS stage 1 plus downpipe and test pipe w/resonator and I can surely feel the increase in power. The car sounds great too, I couldn't imagine it sounding better. I love it and can't wait to go back for the rest of stage 2. You won't be dissapointed.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

The upgrades are for real. I have open-tracked my Evo with the Stage one only, and now with the Stage one, plus downpipe, LIC, and Wide-band O2. I added the LIC and downpipe to help with boost response. I can now get full boost @400rpm earlier, and the car streams on the track. With this setup, I have been able to run with Cobras and Vettes at the track (open-track not drag). I didn't say humilate, humble, or suck sideways, but I can run with them without loosing much ground. With the car stock, I would literally loose 5-8 car lengths on the straights to these types of cars.

Get the setup, you won't be disappointed. I have some vids from Little Talledega on this board, if you want to download, you can see my car with just Stage one running on a road-course.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
I have been able to run with Cobras and Vettes at the track (open-track not drag). I didn't say humilate, humble, or suck sideways, but I can run with them without loosing much ground.
good point.

My best friend here has the stage one from ams and loves his setup. Your going to get alot more top end from it 4k and up you will notice the most differance because your not tappering boost. The car will just seem to pull and pull and pull. . . .
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

i think ams has the best exhaust on the market. it sounds like a high preformance machine and not rice at all. my 70-80 year old neighbors don't complain about it and the complain about everything. i have stage II w/o FMIC from AMS and it is great. now i complain that my top end pulls better then my low end. 5k up is great.