Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS GT42 question?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2005, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasil
I do not see a 2.0 hitting full boost at 5.2K now way in hell.
Yeah, me neither. I've seen a Honda B18C stroker (2.0L) fully built, start boosting at roughly 5600 RPMs and didn't hit full boost (24 PSI) until roughly 8500 RPMs; not a streetable powerband IMHO.

Originally Posted by acuracy00
Why in the heck would you want that big laggy *** turbo for the street. That makes absoulutely no sense. A street car needs a "WIDE" power band. Get something that is quick to spool and pulls hard to redline.
I agree 100%. I have a buddy that thinks the 42R is streetable turbo. He thinks that he can handle the turbo lag of the 42R on a stock block... I've been trying to explain to him that a turbo that big on a stock block is kind of pointless. I don't really see him seeing boost until 6000 RPMs or so. Basically, he'll have an N/A Evo8 util 6500 RPMs and maybe a 1000 RPM powerband; pretty useless in my opinion. This is the reason I asked what kind of full boost we're talking about and whether a pump gas setting would be worthwhile....

Originally Posted by XxBLACKMAMBAxX
I think guys are also forgetting the fact that you will lose boost in between shifts while drag racing unless you have a no-lift-to-shift setup with whatever engine management your using. I had a FP Red (60-1) on my GSX and I used to lose boost in the shifts, I would shift at redline and in the next gear I was spooling up again instead of the boost being right back at full, it was very nocticable compared to the quick spool of the L2R I had on it before that.
Boost drop between shifts would be horrible with a 42R. My Red also tends to lose boost between shifts (20 PSI will drop to roughly 5 between shifts) and then would need to re-spool... Doesn't make a very fun street car but is about the biggest turbo that I would consider 'streetable.' I think the 35R is thee biggest turbo that he should consider for his Evo8 but his mind is already set....
Old Oct 8, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yaroslav
Man i have full boost with 2.3+AMS GT35 on 5000RPM
That is not right for sure. Being completely conservative: I'm at full boost in fifth at 3500, in fourth at 3750, and in third gear at 4000.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Too many variables there, but a 42R will be terribly laggy on the street on pump, you will hate it. I want to see a log because they have supras running 42R's and they are not seeing full boost until 5000-5200rpms and they have 30% more displacement. I do not see a 2.0 hitting full boost at 5.2K now way in hell.
Keep in mind they are probably not using the 85 lb/min wheel on a supra. I also doubt they are using the smaller turbine housing.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 05:02 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

I would never recommend the GT42R for a stock motor car, you will never use the full potential of this turbo. FOr someone who has a built motor and has all the supporting mods and want the most power, then this if for you. Of course you have to realize there are some drawbacks, you have to be in the powerband for this thing to spool. You can't just nail it and expect boost at 3000 rpm. In our street video you can see Eric punch it at lower RPM and you can see it takes a while to spool up.
If setup correctly you will not have to do no-lift shifts to be right back into boost. The key here is getting things setup correctly to get the most out of this turbo. The reason our car keeps getting faster and faster is not because we keep throwing more boost at it, it's because the setup is working better. We went from 145mph to 156mph with only 2 more psi of boost! Boost recovery is about .15-.2 seconds between shifts!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Too many variables there, but a 42R will be terribly laggy on the street on pump, you will hate it. I want to see a log because they have supras running 42R's and they are not seeing full boost until 5000-5200rpms and they have 30% more displacement. I do not see a 2.0 hitting full boost at 5.2K now way in hell.
Supra's are known for that so thats not really a comparison even if they do have more displacement. Thats why even a slow apu supra feels fast because nothing nothing then wham and I not saying there are not fast supras out there. You know whats really hard to comprehend is that nobody ever believes me about my 35R spoolup being 35psi by 4K rpm and it was on video LOL and I don't mean to sound like a dick but maybe thats why AMS and their products are so good. I was also going to challenge you (in a good way) and tell you being that you are only like 3 hrs away to come here to pcola and take a ride because my old setup is being bought by a friend here in pcola and obviosly my new setup will be here and you won't be the first person who's mind will be changed LOL. You can come out to car night with us and everything and meet all the people and cars you have seen in certain vids LOL.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've watched the dyno video of your car at least 30 times. It looks like full spool is right where you say it is 4000-4200rpms. That 42R is 30%-40% bigger depending on wheels. I just don't see full boost until 5K, like I said if AMS proves me a liar and you see full boost at 4600-4800rpms.......I'll be in line waiting for that exact kit!!

I would gladly drive 3 hours to see and take a ride in a your car. The wife isn't working much since stupid Katrina hit and work has been slow, so I have a fair amount of free time. Have a good one .....Saints are already getting their **** kicked.