Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

How Low Can AMS Go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2005, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Low Can AMS Go?

Once again I am posting on this forum to complain about AMS products, service, and how they treat their customers. For those of you who do not know who I am, here is a little background with my experiences with AMS, please see the attached link https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=156581.

After I bought my AMS turbo kit, I spent over $1300 dollars in trying to get their faulty turbo kit to work on my car. My car spent over six weeks in a reputable shop, which tried everything under the sun to get the AMS turbo kit that I bought to work. The kit was even partially damaged when I recieved it, which was seen by the shop that installed it and a buddy of mine who goes by the name Smogrunner.

After the AMS turbo kit was removed from my car, my Evo came back to life. I sent the turbo kit back to AMS, which ended up costing me $107 dollars. After AMS received the kit, they started saying that it was all of a sudden damaged and that they were going to deduct $350 from my refund to recover their loses. Sounds like a restocking fee to me.

Here is the real kicker here, which I don't really understand. I lost over $1300 dollars on this turbo kit without AMS even offering to give me one red cent back on the costs I incurred from their bad product. However, AMS gets their turbo kit back and they say its damaged and they want $350 dollars back to recover their costs.

I just want everybody here to know what kind of company AMS really is. They are cheap and expect the little guy like me to pay them back for their damages. It's ironic that I suffered damages, yet AMS does not care about my losses just theirs.

Since AMS is making such a big deal over $350 dollars, I am going to now make an even bigger deal of $1300 dollars. Since AMS wants their money back, so do I. If necessary, I will take you guys to small claims court and we will see who the judge will rule in favor of.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

wow that suxs man. Never heard any complaints from AMS. This is a first. Hopefully u get wat u want, though that suxs payin extra for the stuff to work.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

wow.......i remember this thread a while back. all i can say is, i hope you have the documents for everything.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 03:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
for what it's worth i been turbocharging non turboed car's for close to ten years, and after reading 11 pages of your thread... i still do not believe the AMS kit was responsible.

while i empathize for your situation, one of the things i've learned from being in this industry is that racing is a lot like gambling, and the most you can do is minimize and control your risk.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sucks to hear what happened ...hope everything works out
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
was the turbo damaged in shipping or straight out of the box?
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

was starting this thread again really necessary? If you still have a problem call them and try to resolve it. Trying to start a war on an internet forum isnt going to solve anything
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ibanez_926
was starting this thread again really necessary? If you still have a problem call them and try to resolve it. Trying to start a war on an internet forum isnt going to solve anything
This had been a long , ongoing problem. I'd assume he's called a couple of times. sometimes you need to makes some waves to make progress. Hopefully AMS will want to clear their name of this problem...
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

If you still have a problem call them and try to resolve it.
im sure he already tried that
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

I am sorry to hear your situation, truly, I know I would feel the same way. However, two things. One, as I travel in the air 3 days a week, you could have flown Martin or Eric to your car and put him up for the night for 1300 bucks, two, there is no way to guarantee installation, unless they do it.

I was looking to do what you did, and because of your earlier thread, I have decided to just take my car 15+ hours, to AMS to have my work done. Race parts are built to tolerances, and there are alot of variables to consider. Sometimes, the best folks fro the installation are the ones who built, designed, and tested the kit.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
I am sorry to hear your situation, truly, I know I would feel the same way. However, two things. One, as I travel in the air 3 days a week, you could have flown Martin or Eric to your car and put him up for the night for 1300 bucks, two, there is no way to guarantee installation, unless they do it.

I was looking to do what you did, and because of your earlier thread, I have decided to just take my car 15+ hours, to AMS to have my work done. Race parts are built to tolerances, and there are alot of variables to consider. Sometimes, the best folks fro the installation are the ones who built, designed, and tested the kit.
Same here except I'm going to Buschur. Most shops will guarantee the parts if they break them during installation if someone else does it well.....we all know what happens.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

I'm glad AMS has not posted and turned this into a ***** fight.

Deal with them professionally, expect them to do the same in kind. If that is unsuccessful, follow with the appropriate claim to the appropriate resource (BBB, Small Claims, Judge Judy...)

I hope everything works out for all parties involved. When ever I have had trouble with any vendors from EVOM I dealt with them directly and felt that I was treated fairly. In the end both people will feel like they lost a bit. That is just how it goes some times.

Good luck to both you and AMS. I know they want happy customers and you want to be happy, so it will all work out. It is hard to do, but be patient.

Maybe a group hug is in order?!?!
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was starting this thread again really necessary?
No doubt. Good god man, didn't you get enough attention in your 11 page thread that you now have to start a new one with absolutely no new information other than that you're getting charged for returning installed parts? Duh, you think they'll be able to sell those parts for retail? Look at it from their perspective for a single second.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not just backing up AMS here, and I'm certainly not one to jump to any shops defense just because. I buy my own parts, I install them, and when things go wrong, I accept the blame for my mistakes, I couldn't care who it was, or what part you bought, I'd say the same thing to you, "You should have know what you were getting yourself into. Your lack of knowledge is the problem."

Here are the facts. _You_ bought parts and _you_ are not knowledgeable about installing them. So how can you possibly whine and cry when you (or the professional shop you took them to) can't figure out how to get it to work. You really expect us to believe that a company with a decent (maybe not perfect, but what company doesn't have a single dissatisfied customer for whatever small reason) reputation is totally screwing you over a measly 350? That's not a lot of money man, certainly not worth a shop losing its credibility for. I think it's a credit to AMS that they haven't jumped on here and called you out for the ignorant cry-baby you are. I know how it is to feel like you're on the raw end of the deal when you've paid a good amount of money for what you thought was enough to get your car into the shape you imagined it should be, but you're getting a lot of solid advice here that their parts are not at fault. So let it go man, and look for another solution. Either that, or pursue your means in a less public manner. Libeling another company should be an absolute (and I mean the last possible method conceivable, and even then perhaps not) resort. This is a business and you're impacting these guys’ livelihoods here.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

$1300....lol.....this is why I do my own work.....no freaking way.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

I had a slight Issue with my turbo Kit a year ago when I bought it. AMS was nothing but helpfull with the situation. They did everything in their power to make it right, and I am a continuing happy customer. I've never purchased parts from another aftermarket company that has been easier to deal with.

Sometimes the way you approach a situation makes all the difference in the world...........

Quick Reply: How Low Can AMS Go?