Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Evo IX Stage 1-3 build up!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why no cams?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

How much would you pay for absolute assurance everything is going to be done top notch by a top evo tuner? Its worth it.

........ but then again some people make an air box out of a plastic tub with zip ties
Old Dec 17, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iceman2011
why no cams?
Great question! Throw some big *** 280s in that bad boywhile youre at it! lol
Old Dec 17, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jamevo8
First off, they told me no one makes cams for the 9. Second, I am planning on going with a aem ems in spring when I do the turbo upgrade. Sorry if it makes you jealous that I am dropping more money in mods than what your 9 year old eclipse is worth. Newbie!https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/im...ons/icon13.gif
He said it earlier in the thread
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

No cams developed for evo IX yet
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hks-gst
Lmao how does that make me jealous.... If anything im happy for you but then you had to go dissing my dsm. Isnt is funny that I only have to spend half the money to way faster then you. I think its pretty retarded that ur spending 6k and still have a stock turbo You go spend that money rich boy...
OK, First off I am no rich boy, I work very hard for my Evo as it is my passion. I dont buy fancy clothes, nor do I eat out at fancy restaurants, etc.

I am 30 years old soon to be engaged , own a town house, not a mansion, and work a 50 hour work week. Believe me I am not part of any lucky sperm club who had every thing handed to them all thier life.

Everything I do have, I have saved up and bought my self. I was not dissing your DSM as our cars are technicly cousins.

When I make a post on what I am doing to my Evo IX it is mearly because I see people posting on how nobody has done many mods to them yet. So I thought I would be one of the first.

I am sorry if I have offended you or anyone here, I am not tryig to brag I just thought it would make an interesting read and maybe AMS would post pics etc. on the build up, but I think I will keep it to myself since most people have such a bad attitude and seem to not be to interested.

By the way what would you be putting in your Eclipse for 3K that would make it faster than an Evo IX with 6k worth of mods. Maybe I should have you build up my car? You seem to be a pro!

Any Pro would be able to make good reliable HP! So I am interested, what would you be doing?

Also, I went in to AMS and that is what they recommend I do. Hwever since you seem to be MR. Super Tuner, what would you do differently for the same cost. remember there is labor and tuning of$1700 in there also.

As for anyone else who thinks I am waisting my $6k I would like to hear from you also on what you would do differently, all suggestions will be considered and welcome!
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:41 PM

What I would do is have fun with the car (break it in)in its stock form wait a couple of months till some new parts start poping up. also I dont know if this will work with ur car but have u ever considerd greddy e-manage ultimate... I think it would be a better choice if it works u can control timing and mivec points. As for the setup in my car I am runing dsmlink w/fp3052 (fully built motor) anyway good luck with ur car. and one more thing dsm's are more like brothers to evo's
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by andenbre
for all the parts that are being installed and dyno tuned 1700 is not out of line. sure you may be able to get some of the parts cheaper from other online sources but if something goes wrong will that e-tailer step up and lay their hands on the car to straighten it out. doubt it. AMS has alot of years tuning and are not a nonprofit organization. I have seen alot of their customers cars with cone filters and intakes, however every one I have seen has had ems or other tuning equiptment to run it properly and they also offer drop in filters for those who dont. I say go ahead and do it.

I am not trying to argue but, you know a nonprofit organization still needs to make some profit for their employees from the product they sold or the service rendered? you knew that, rite? Many companies are setup as a Non-profit for the tax purpose. Thus, the way you back up your claim is irrelevant, or I should say "weak".....

I just wanna point this out as an Accounting and Finance major student.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 05:45 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't know where the rumor of us being a non-profit organization came from. We are set up as a normal for profit business just like every other tuning shop. Now we might as well be non-profit trying to compete with internet companies.

M.S.R.P. doesn't mean a damn thing in our industry, and it shows in the profit margins we make and the cars we drive. Honestly Martin and Arne should be driving 50k+ cars like Norris does, but instead we settle with GVR4's and diesel vans.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jamevo8
By the way what would you be putting in your Eclipse for 3K that would make it faster than an Evo IX with 6k worth of mods. Maybe I should have you build up my car? You seem to be a pro!
Well you'd be suprised how much I put into my automatic awd eclipse GSX to get it into low 13's.
It was well below 3000, I'll tell you that. And that's with a 16g....
And it's not really your cousin, more like your older brother. The 1st gen engine is identical to the evolution 3 motor.

But this is what I would of done (actually what i'm going to do with my IX):
1. Blitz SBC i-color electronic Boost controller
2. wideband
3. AEM Standalone
4. Greddy titanium exhaust + 3" downpipe.
5. keep the stock turbo, i perfer it to be a autocross.
It can run 12's already (check the turbotrix page) with minor mods.
6. Upgraded clutch

That should be well below 6000, assuming that you do your own work. I trust my work with engine stuff (except building trannys), been at it for a while already.
The way I would build it is for throttle response, not a drag queen. My gsx is my drag queen with it's GT3070.
I tune the cars myself with dsmlink. Tuning is not rocket science. Actually rocket science isn't too bad, my gf is a aerospace major.

All in all, AMS is a great company and you paid them for their experience and research. Personally I like doing things myself as much as I can but hey.... it's your money.

Last edited by mr96gsx408; Dec 18, 2005 at 07:04 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take mr96's back on this too. Granted, jam doesn't seem to be hating on the o.g. dsm's but it's just a different mind-set you get into when you get seat time in an evo. I know, for me, it changed my perspective about how I approached modding my gsx. Lets just say I've gone back and rethought a few key decisions I've made with my dsm since driving and modifying my evo, and a good amount of knowledge has carried over from dsm to evo for me as well as I continue to progress with that car.

As far as your current situation, Jam, I would personally chose to take things a bit slower and enjoy the car in stock form for a bit longer. Especially considering the weather really won't give you much opportunity to truly enjoy the money you've spent before springtime hits and you're ready to tear into it further. However, I understand that spending a lot at once enables you more of a discount as a package deal with AMS.

If the guy wants to pay for the services of a reputable tuner like AMS, why the hell not let him? Sure, mr96, neither of us would take our car to a shop, but that's no reason to condemn the guy for not wanting to do his own work. If everybody did their own work, I wouldn't take quite as much satisfaction in the money I'm saving by doing it all myself, nor would it fuel these shops that stay open for us to take advantage of at any opportunity for dyno runs or emergency parts.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
M.S.R.P. doesn't mean a damn thing in our industry, and it shows in the profit margins we make and the cars we drive. Honestly Martin and Arne should be driving 50k+ cars like Norris does, but instead we settle with GVR4's and diesel vans.
I completely agree. But customers aren't non-profit organizations either. I mean modifying something that depreciates is horrible investment enough, but I wouldn't want to lose even more $$...
I don't think either side is in the business of losing money. Can't blame anyone for trying to find the best deal.

Last edited by mr96gsx408; Dec 18, 2005 at 07:17 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting, but I guess people are making such a fuss because people really don't ever include the cost of tunning and etc. when it comes to their mod list. So take away 1700 for labor and your right around $4,800. Still I am a little confused how the cost of your modifications comes up to $4,800 and I believe there is stuff that isn't really needed-

AMS TBE w/ test pipe ($950.00)
BPr7ES heat range 7 plugs ($10)
AFCII (Just get a Flash for $500-$700, but if you insist on the AFCII then the price is $335)
MBC ($60-$100)
AMS front mount intercooler (Not sure how good the AMS intercooler is but most stock turbo EVOs do not see huge gains with an aftermarket intercooler. Still a IX did recently install and get tuned with an aftermarket intercooler and pipping and made 13whp and 9wtq, so I guess you can gain some power with an aftermarket intercooler and pipping $700)
AMS Lower intercooler pipe ($225)
DSM 680cc/min inj. ($380)
AMS Evo fuel rail ($150)
Evo/2g cone filter (Just get a K&N drop in and save money, probably just as effective. The only really good intake in my opinion for the EVO is the HKS RS Intake. K&N Filter=$60)
2g filter adapter (What?)
AMS water inj. ($665)
Defi d-series boost gauge (Are you seriously going to spend well over $100 on a boost gauge? I don't know, maybe this unit is very accurate and justifies it's price)
AEM UEGO gauge (for $300 do you really need this?)
2- cf gauge cups ($70-$90)
Forge DV ($50)
ARP 2g head studs ($95)
Walbro 2g 255 lph HP FP kit ($110)

Maybe my math is not correct, but how do you get $4,800 from all this, you should be in the low $3,000 area? Well still with all this done, I will be very interested to see what you puts down. With 26PSI using the water injection, the above mods, and AMS tuning I easily see you making 400WHP on pump gas!
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Two words.....his money. If he wants to do this, don't bash, it is his perogative. If he chooses to spend money at AMS, rather than going other ways, it is HIS decision. I am sure we can all think of other ways to spend other people's money.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 06:59 PM
LSR

Thumbs up

Jamevo8, congrats and good-luck. And although you are getting alot of negative feedback. Please keep us posted as to what power output comes out of your mods. There are more of us curious than made aware of.

I also will be getting a IX soon. I plan on buying a MR in the spring, and very curious as to what tuners like AMS, Buschur, and Al are getting out of the IX's.
Although is has been a slow start with tuners attacking the IX, it as made me a bit anxious as to how much power can be gotten out of the stock turbo of the IX's.

And I am sure AMS has given you some direction as to what they would have done in your case with the IX. And I am sure your mod. list has some order to it. So just overlook the negativity you are getting. Most people have no clue that the IX is not the same as the VIII.

I like yourself can't wait to see what kind of power your car makes.

Enjoy

Quick Reply: AMS Evo IX Stage 1-3 build up!