Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Ams 50 Trim Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcebowl
+1

i thought stock motors cant really go over 450whp??
A frined of mine, Mark Streeter, sn is fre on evom, runs low elevens at mid 120s mph and has around 50,000 miles on one of the first GT35r set ups sold by AMS. Stock bottom end and only head studs and cams. I think he runs about 19-21 psi on a daily basis and does occasional tuning runs and races the hell out of it. His car is still running strong...maybe he is an exceptional to the rule I don't know but his car is an 04. He will drive this car from Idaho to Arizona (Firebird International) and race it then drive home lol. If tuned properly and not abused I believe the motor can take alot of power for quite a while....better than any other four cylinder IMO.

He hasn't dynod the car recently but at full weight with leather and subs etc and him in the car, NHRA hp calculator is suggesting about 500-525 whp according to et and mph. Just my .02.

Last edited by tony gibson; Mar 3, 2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Those numbers are fantastic for a flash and methanol with a turbo like that. Pump gas...

I spoke of a friend, that had problems with his car...turns out it was an oil pump, but pushing those power numbers on pump, even with methanol, just be careful how hard you push the car on a consistent basis.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 600+hp
Whatever AMS currently use , .63 housing that's about all I know.
Anyway, Geoff at full race said the .82 is the most efficient but I don't want anymore lag. I'll gladly sacrifice top end for more low end and midrange where most of my driving are.
.082 it is for me. I am a HWYMAN. I dont care for quarter mile.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

So is it worth switching to the 50 trim BB if you already have the 3076R ? That's the question my previous posts kinda elude to. I was not comparing #s just to compare #s.

Then again with my luck my car will put out even less power.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know what the real answer to that is. Eric and the guys think my car is just a freak of nature. I would hate to see you switch to the 50 trim and loose more power. Are you on methanol and pump? Do you have the VSR Intake? If you don't have the Intake that's what I would purchase. They first dynod the car and it was at 467 horse, and it just kept making power, it was really the AMS intake that helped keep making power.

Those are my thoughts,

Steve
Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:32 PM
Account Disabled

So is it worth switching to the 50 trim BB if you already have the 3076R ? That's the question my previous posts kinda elude to. I was not comparing #s just to compare #s.

No way, they are almost the same size, the GT3076R being more recent design but the 50Trims work VERY well too. If you already have a GT3076R then a swap to 50Trim is useless.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3076R should make more power at higher boost than the BB 50 Trim due to it being able to flow 52lb/min as opposed to the 49lb/min of a 50 trim. I would work on supporting mods to extract more power out of the 3076, because there is definately more power to be had out of that turbo.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

He must have a flux capacitor.

As far as my car goes, it has all the supporting mods w/ the exception of the VSR mani.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you allready have an AMS GT3076R kit I would not switch to a 50 Trim BB.

Eric
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
Id like to know how $4300 comes in.
I'd like to know how any of there kits cost that much. Things just don't add up. I know the AMS kit is top notch but that is still a truck load.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evol_VIII
I'd like to know how any of there kits cost that much. Things just don't add up. I know the AMS kit is top notch but that is still a truck load.
I think it costs to much too but then again you are not really paying for the materials. It's like buying a Drug that costs $200 per bottle. The pills themselves cost penneys to make and the cost is way more then that. My Guess is that AMS is charging for their hard work and time spent making the kit.

If you are upset, talk to Turbo Trixx, they offer a BB 50 Trim for 3600, Buschur has one for $3000 that uses a cast manifold. AMS looks awesome but I will never be able to afford it
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evol_VIII
Low volume handmade
Quality
Demand
Market value
R&D
etc...

Want to play gotta pay and we as HP addict don't seem to mind paying as a whole.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:23 PM
Account Disabled

Low volume handmade
Quality
Demand
Market value
R&D
etc...

Want to play gotta pay and we as HP addict don't seem to mind paying as a whole.
+1 great quality kit and the only one I can think of that uses the support bracket that the stcok unit uses, it's a no brainer. But I can't spend $4200 for a 50Trim kit, it's just crazy.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry to go off topic but this thread wasn't started to bash AMS's prices. If you think they are too expensive then don't buy their products. It's really fairly simple. Ones that have posted other peoples prices, don't you think AMS already knows what their competitor's prices are? You can complain all you want but until no one buys their stuff (or a lot fewer), at that time they'll most likely adjust their price accordingly if they want to have their sales pick up (but i wouldn't hold your breath that that's gonna happen anytime soon ). Otherwise please refrain from bashing them on their own forum section and in someones thread that doesn't even pertain to what you are complaining about.

Anyway, to the original poster, sorry to go but i really get sick of when people do this. BTW, AWESOME numbers!

Last edited by vtsnake; Mar 9, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our products are priced higher because they take longer to R&D and cost more to make. we use better materials, Top notch welding. We really spend countless hours with R&D to make our kit.

in the end they cost more becuase they cost more to make. Our products are also the highest HP producing products on the market. We back up every claim with a dyno sheet while other companies just make "Claims"

As we have stated many times over. Slapping the same turbo in a kit does not make it equal in its ability to make power. That has been proven time and time again on this site. Our Kits simple make more power and stand the test of time.

Eric

Quick Reply: Ams 50 Trim Turbo