Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Will these work on the IX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Will these work on the IX?

Might be a stupid question, but i'm not to smart but definitely no familiar with MIVEC...at all. But i am interested in AMS Intake manifold http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=166

and AMS Ported head http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=166

Will these work (direct bolt)?

If it's a dumb question, i'm ready to get flamed!

But seriously i would like to know so i can waste some money.

Remember... it's for the Evo IX

Oh and BTW, Martin, check your PM...

Last edited by vtsnake; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

I would say so.. However what is your plan of mods?, buying a Intake manifold is kind of odd unless you have plans for a much bigger project.

Carlos
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

AMS makes mostly good stuff but if you want an intake manifold, HKS Kansai Service is the place to call. their manifold also comes with the option of a Nissan Q45 90mm throttle body & it can run addl injectors under your fuel rail...
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I would say so.. However what is your plan of mods?, buying a Intake manifold is kind of odd unless you have plans for a much bigger project.

Carlos
Here's a short list:

AMS 2.3 Stroker
AMS GT37R
AMS FMIC
AMS Fuel System with 1600cc Inj
AMS Meth Kit

Hopefully Cams when HKS releases them (yes i know TurboTrix has them)
Hopefully AEM standalone...

So will these be okay with a ported head and intake manifold?

I'm still really confused with MIVEC
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by housedj
AMS makes mostly good stuff but if you want an intake manifold, HKS Kansai Service is the place to call. their manifold also comes with the option of a Nissan Q45 90mm throttle body & it can run addl injectors under your fuel rail...
Thanks for the advice! But i'm trying to keep this all AMS as much as possible. Their rep is #1 and that means a lot to me! I may mix and match some things but the motor, head, and turbo are definitely gonna be from AMS.... well as long as they cut me a deal! Martin Eric
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

the head will not work with mivec. if ya want to eliminate the mivec ok but the evo 9 head is different in that it has oil gallies for the mivec to be actuated through the cam with oil pressure
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

they may be able to send your head out for similar porting though, call eric and see
hmmm I see you are in cali, you may want to look more localy unless you are willing to pay shipping and have your car down for some time

Last edited by andenbre; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vtsnake
Thanks for the advice! But i'm trying to keep this all AMS as much as possible. Their rep is #1 and that means a lot to me! I may mix and match some things but the motor, head, and turbo are definitely gonna be from AMS.... well as long as they cut me a deal! Martin Eric
their rep is #1 in the US only. they are doing great work for the evo crowd but they are not the only company. i can assure you that very few people in Japan are not buying their turbokits... it's not hating, just merely an observation. & Norris Designs out of the UK actually has a better flowing fuel system.
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by andenbre
the head will not work with mivec. if ya want to eliminate the mivec ok but the evo 9 head is different in that it has oil gallies for the mivec to be actuated through the cam with oil pressure
that's what i thought. but are you sure? i've been told differently and that's why i'm confused...

Originally Posted by andenbre
hmmm I see you are in cali, you may want to look more localy unless you are willing to pay shipping and have your car down for some time
The two i trust with the EVO are back east!! ARG! It's a big project so down time isn't that big of a concern... just me being impatient though really sux

their rep is #1 in the US only. they are doing great work for the evo crowd but they are not the only company. i can assure you that very few people in Japan are not buying their turbokits... it's not hating, just merely an observation. & Norris Designs out of the UK actually has a better flowing fuel system.

well last i checked i live in the good ole USA... not Japan, not the UK. Really nothing against those other guys but AMS is here and their rep is impeccable and if anything goes wrong they are right here, well sorta.
Old Feb 26, 2006 | 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vtsnake
that's what i thought. but are you sure? i've been told differently and that's why i'm confused...

The two i trust with the EVO are back east!! ARG! It's a big project so down time isn't that big of a concern... just me being impatient though really sux

well last i checked i live in the good ole USA... not Japan, not the UK. Really nothing against those other guys but AMS is here and their rep is impeccable and if anything goes wrong they are right here, well sorta.
Not to mention the Kansai mani is close to 2K
Old Feb 26, 2006 | 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

the head on the IX also has revised coolant passages. not sure how much different they are from the VIII head but i know that is one thing that could possibly mean that it wont bolt up correctly. just a thought
Old Feb 26, 2006 | 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

i think if you went with there head evo viii cams & there intake manifold your car would haul *** also you could probably use the aem for the 8's also since you will no longer have mivec....
or you could wait???
Old Feb 26, 2006 | 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

he could use the AEM ems if he switches over to the VIII ecu because the pins are different from the VIII harness and the IX harness. he could use the intake manifold with either head unless they changed something else on the intake side besides the mivec
Old Feb 26, 2006 | 06:00 PM

Why would the Japenese buy all the way from the U.S? Same as why would we want to buy a JDM kit. Would you buy a pizza from Italy if you are hungry now, or go to the corner pizza place? Same great taste, less money, eat in a half hour. Service and troubleshooting would be much better in country. It is only a $800 car carrier ride to have a car in socal to AMS's doorstep if something goes wrong. Want to take a guess how long and how much to ship your car to Japan or the UK? (assuming you could survive the paperwork)

I still don't understand why these other shops were brought up in a AMS forum...