Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Front and Side Motor Mounts Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Front and Side Motor Mounts Review

Installation

Installation wasn’t overly difficult, but plan for a few hours to get it all done. If you want to do this without destroying the stock mounts you will need a press. If not you can pound them out with a screwdriver. A few notes to make the install easier:

1. The easiest mount to install is the mount near the cam gears. This may be a good place to start.

2. The front mount must be removed to install the transmission mount. It is best to do both of these at the same time. I made the mistake of getting the front mount completely installed prior to installing the transmission mount and had to pull everything apart again.

3. Take your time. It will save you a lot of smashed hands and fingers, especially when pounding the stock mounts out with a hammer and screw driver.

First Impressions

The car shakes a lot at idle. Just a little gas and it smoothes out, but the idle is rough. If you turn the A/C on, it gets A LOT worse. My dashboard started rattling so much that I thought it was about to fall apart. This is the only downside to the mounts.

Taking off from a stop is much smoother. The car used to jerk a lot when starting off slowly because of the engine rocking back and forth. This was especially true when starting up a hill. Now the car just goes. The same is true for the 1-2 shift. I’m able to drive a lot smoother now because there is less play in the system.

Long-Term Impressions

Either I’m getting used to the mounts or they have settled in a bit. The vibrations don’t seem quite as bad as they were when I first put them in. The vibrations are almost unnoticeable while cruising. I went on a weekend trip to Cincinnati with the car (~500 miles each way) and the mounts did not bother me at all. The only time I notice them any more is when I come to a complete stop or at higher RPMs. This, again, is especially true with the A/C on.

Aggressive Driving

I’ve noticed my shifting feels a bit more precise during aggressive driving. During straight-line driving such as drag racing, it feels as though the car takes off a little faster after each shift. Basically, when I let off the clutch in the next gear it kicks my head back a little harder than it used to. I think this is due to getting rid of some of the slop in the system. I never had issues with missing shifts during this type of driving, so I didn’t notice a significant change. The biggest difference I noticed was while upshifting and downshifting while turning. I have some decreasing radius turns I like to drive on and I come into them in 4th and have to heel-toe downshift into 3rd while coming around the turn, and these shifts feel a lot more precise. The same is true for increasing radius turns where I have to upshift while still turning. Everything feels like it stays where it should be a little better.

Another thing I noticed during aggressive driving is that there is a lot of extra noise and vibration at higher RPM with these motor mounts. This is especially true while cruising at 5500+ RPM and while decelerating at higher RPMs. It is also very loud. I don’t consider this much of a problem considering the fact that if you are driving at 5500+ RPM, you probably aren’t concerned about noise and vibration at that point.

My Recommendations

I would not recommend these mounts for MOST people that use their Evo as a daily driver. I use mine as a daily driver, but I rarely have passengers and I do most of my driving on the interstate. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, the vibrations will probably start to bother you. A good compromise for those people is to do just the front motor mount, as it will clean up a good bit of the slop without having a huge effect on comfort. For those of you that do not do a lot of stop-and-go driving, get the mounts as the vibration is hardly noticable during normal cruise RPMs.

If your Evo is not your daily driver and you won’t mind some extra vibration, then I say go for it. The shifting feels a lot smoother and much more precise. The only time you’ll really notice a difference is while you’re stopped or at high RPMs.

If your Evo is a track car, you need these mounts. They make shifting a lot easier while cornering and also smooth throttle transitions quite a bit. I HIGHLY recommend them for a track car.

I hope this helps anyone considering the AMS motor mounts for their Evo.

-Paul

Last edited by PVD04; Jun 20, 2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you very much for the review paul. We appreciate your honesty

Eric
Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Thank you very much for the review paul. We appreciate your honesty

Eric
No problem Eric. If anyone has any questions about the mounts or would like clarification on anything I wrote feel free to post up and I will do my best to answer.

Also, after re-reading my post and reading Eric's response it may seem as though I'm not recommending the mounts. It's not that I'm not recommending them at all for daily drivers as my car is my daily driver and I love the mounts. I'm just trying to get across that a lot of people may not want to live with the vibrations on a daily basis and should balance that against the performance gains.

-Paul
Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

pvd04-

sounds like we had similar experiences...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=203447
Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

i just put my front mount on and i do concur that shifting is soooo much smoother now. i could hardly notice any extra vibration unless i was bogging leaving a stop sign, then thered seem to be a little more. or coasting to a stop, a little extra vibration would be felt.

my car is my daily driver ...yet i would like to try the side mounts. possible in the fall/winter months.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Can using these motor mounts lead to increased stress on the transmission/drivetrain since they are much stiffer than stock and allow no flex?

Last edited by RenoEvo; Aug 3, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think this would help reduce the stress on the trany, a preventive modification.