Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Feature on the 'infamous black EVO'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A418t81
Ok, I'm going to go ahead and say it:

Whoever is driving the Evo in all these vids that we watch needs some SERIOUS work when it comes to driving. Honestly, who WOULDN'T brake boost with a turbo of that size and whats up with the missing of gears in nearly EVERY vid that I see.
Dude I would love to see you get in a car of this caliber drive it somewhere between 5 and 10 times in like 6 months or so and do better not to mention it being at AMS for around 6 months also so that would be around a year of not driving the car. Judging from your statement you you've never driven a fast car and my reason for not brake boosting is because I haven't played around with that much and when the time matters I didn't want to screw up trying something new. Also out of 10 to 15 vids (I've lost count) I've missed a gear twice WOW.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HassounEVO
It seemed like in most of those vids, the TT Cobra definitely won. But, there was one race where the Evo seemed to pull on him HARD until he missed a shift? I wonder what was done differently on that race?
Learning a good speed to start from and when I was matching the cobras speed he was going a bit to slow. The good run aside from missing the gear I was at 40mph in 2nd gear and the other runs were around 30.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

serioulsy chris i think they just dont get it. they must not think theres much difference between a 400hp evo and a 900hp evo to say statements like that.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolving-04
Dude I would love to see you get in a car of this caliber drive it somewhere between 5 and 10 times in like 6 months or so and do better not to mention it being at AMS for around 6 months also so that would be around a year of not driving the car. Judging from your statement you you've never driven a fast car and my reason for not brake boosting is because I haven't played around with that much and when the time matters I didn't want to screw up trying something new. Also out of 10 to 15 vids (I've lost count) I've missed a gear twice WOW.
Yeah, I've never driven any fast cars...nope, never How long have you had the car back since the last time it was at AMS?

You should definitely practice brake boosting, it's most definitely worth it in your case and quite easy to do once you get the hang of it. Works quite well on my setup when I race big V8s, they don't run away from me at all on the kick. Also, last time I checked, hp has little effect on shift difficulty.

Regardless, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest. Basically I just hate to see the car perform poorly on the street based on the few vids I've seen personally when all is needed is a bit of polish here and there on the driving. Good luck.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

The problem here seems to be powerband. That 42R is just too big for the 2.3l. The second he starts to pull and make big power, he has to shift. A 2l and 10k rpms is what that car needs. Based off of what I have seen since the car has been back, the 2.3l and the 35R seems to be a MUCH better setup IMO.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1.8t
Based off of what I have seen since the car has been back, the 2.3l and the 35R seems to be a MUCH better setup IMO.
The 35r setup wouldn't touch this Cobra.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

i think one thing is the gear ratio is hard to match other vehicles. i have raced cobra's and other vehicles and if you are in to low of a gear they get a pull on you till you shift then your gone. if the evo had a little taller 2 and 3rd gear would be cool.your car rocks hope to see more of it later.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevPSR
The 35r setup wouldn't touch this Cobra.
Didn't Chris race a 640whp Z06 and beat him with the 35R???? If so, it has been proven time and time again that a Z06 can take down a cobra while having about 50~70rwhp less since cobras are so retardedly heavy while having less cubes so a more "peaky" powerband as compared to the 5.7l
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice runs, anyone have a downloadable version (video keeps buffering)

Yea i've ran a 03 cobra with the HP twin turbo kit also in my wrx. the cobras gearing is alot different than the wrx gearing also. either i was in the perfect rpm and would get a great start while he was too low in one gear or i would be too low of an rpm and lag like crazy while he got the jump.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1.8t
Didn't Chris race a 640whp Z06 and beat him with the 35R???? If so, it has been proven time and time again that a Z06 can take down a cobra while having about 50~70rwhp less since cobras are so retardedly heavy while having less cubes so a more "peaky" powerband as compared to the 5.7l
Yea Chris(on the 35r) edged out the Z06(when the Z06 was making 644).

This Cobra(at 15psi) ran the same Z06 not too long ago(with the Z06 making 712whp) and the Cobra pulled on him.

The Cobra made something like an extra 80whp when it was on the dyno on 18psi as well.

Like I said, the 35r setup wouldn't touch this Cobra.

Last edited by KevPSR; Nov 6, 2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm seems weird that a cobra on 15 psi can pull a 712whp z06. The twin turbo HP cobra i ran awhile back was on 13psi (91 octane and a safe tune since he clutched slipped on higher boost) and I hung even with him from 40-110 then he slowly started to pull away. I was only making 460whp or so though.... was the z06 owner a decent driver or did he have traction issues?

here the video of my car against the cobra. (camera car is a low 12 second single turbo rx7)
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/07...sSubaruWRX.htm

this same car would beat me pretty bad now though. he has a new clutch, better fuel system, etc... and is going to be making 800whp+ soon.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

It's the same driver and car than ran Chris.

This Cobra at 15psi has already yanked a pair of fast KB/Nitrous Cobras as well.

But in the end, the 35r setup wouldn't touch this Cobra and I'm tired of repeating and having to explain that...so I'm out.

Last edited by KevPSR; Nov 6, 2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by dan avoN7
Hmm seems weird that a cobra on 15 psi can pull a 712whp z06. The twin turbo HP cobra i ran awhile back was on 13psi (91 octane and a safe tune since he clutched slipped on higher boost) and I hung even with him from 40-110 then he slowly started to pull away. I was only making 460whp or so though.... was the z06 owner a decent driver or did he have traction issues?

here the video of my car against the cobra. (camera car is a low 12 second single turbo rx7)
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/07...sSubaruWRX.htm

this same car would beat me pretty bad now though. he has a new clutch, better fuel system, etc... and is going to be making 800whp+ soon.

heres a better video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2lFcRd-R4
Old Nov 6, 2006, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rd33964
yea that has the other runs, but as i mentioned in those the gearing is different and he started pretty slow so i wasn't spooled when we got going.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I think a good point to be made is that there are TONS of factors that could explain race outcomes....I believe Chris is still on the stock tranny (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) so for him to miss two gears in all these vids is DAMN impressive. He would have left that cobra had he been able to grab 4th when he LEAPED ahead. I agree with Kevin and it has been proven on the track....The 42r setup would rock the 35r setup end of story lol

Quick Reply: Feature on the 'infamous black EVO'