Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Feature on the 'infamous black EVO'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has chris ever taken his Evo to the strip with the 42r to see how much it traps? with that much power the evo definitely needs longer gears IMO....or like someone said a 10k rpm redline on a 2.0 liter so the Evo doesn't run out of gears so quickly.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fusionchicken
has chris ever taken his Evo to the strip with the 42r to see how much it traps? with that much power the evo definitely needs longer gears IMO....or like someone said a 10k rpm redline on a 2.0 liter so the Evo doesn't run out of gears so quickly.
Can't argree more.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tony gibson
Yeah I think a good point to be made is that there are TONS of factors that could explain race outcomes....I believe Chris is still on the stock tranny (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) so for him to miss two gears in all these vids is DAMN impressive. He would have left that cobra had he been able to grab 4th when he LEAPED ahead. I agree with Kevin and it has been proven on the track....The 42r setup would rock the 35r setup end of story lol
Since KevPSR deletes everything I have posted on *******.com I'll post it here. The owner of the Cobra, his user name is SNAFU on svtperformance.com, said he brake boosted every run except the run where Chris jumped out 1/2 of a car. Which makes sense since every other time the Cobra was 2 cars out from the hit.

The one race where Chris pulled even with the Cobra they were over 140mph and the Cobra owner let off. The Cobra driver agreed to 40-140mph runs and won everytime. This is just a stock blocked, stock trans, stock rear, TT kit Cobra on pump. What happens when he turns up the wick to 23lbs and pushes another 150-200whp?

So, far the EVO has lost to a 145mph trapping and spinning notch, and now a pump gas 700whp Cobra. It's still a great car and fast as hell, but all the defensive he shoulda, woulda, coulda comments aren't valid anymore IMO.

Run what ya brung the EVO lost. This isn't Dan B, Al F, Buschur, AMS or any other 150mph trapping EVO and that 2.3 is definately hindering the topend as is the ability to shift smoothly at the rpm needed to run a 42R to it's potential.

As far as a 42R rocking a 35R at the track that all depends on the setup and the driver. There are no 42R's running a stroker and they have had 3 35R'd cars run 9.97@ 142, 9.95@143mph, 9.46@150mph(Curt Brown). I agree a properly setup 42R like in Dan's car runs what a 9.3@156mph!!!!

I don't think Chris's car is running 9's@140mph the way it sit's, but we will never know unless he brings it to the track.

Last edited by Jasil; Nov 8, 2006 at 05:46 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I think it would trap low 140s. IMO. So you mean if the evo brake boosted he wouldn't pull out a victory? I disagree...but yes he did loose...I understand "run what you brung". That cobra is a bad *** car indeed. As far the car's running nines on 35r setup, well 2 out of three are shop cars and they are the elite example...weight reducted and all. I do agree that the 42r is better suited for a 2.0.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

It may have, but we can't say it definately would have though. He doesn't run at the track, so we will never know.

OT: On a side note people can't play the peak HP should win the race game. It's average HP over the RPM range being used. If you look at that Cobra's dyno it is flatline at 650-675whp with almost equal TQ the entire RPM range the car is run in. Seeing that the boost was hitting 18psi that night and being cool it was probably at 700whp the whole way.

It's all over now good runs.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

I'm glad Jasil can copy and paste what some people say on the internet to make himself feel as if he knows what is going on. You are purely a drama queen, I've told you that in PM, and I'll tell you that on here as well.

All you do is attempt to play online detective about this car so you can be smart about this car in anyway possible, even if the accusations aren't true. Ranging from the claims of me hiding videos a while back of Chris losing races, to your rescent claims that a 'premier tuner' told you Chris doesn't like the car because "too laggy and the powerband is too short". None of which are true, surprise.

Chris was on the track with the 35r setup, but no he hasn't taken it to the track with the 42. If the car wasn't for sale...he planned to once he got a diff tire setup and other little things so he could run the car 100%. Why would he wait? Because people like you, he can't simply go to the track and have a run for fun..because if the car isn't running amazing times...you will jump online and say your typical drama queen nonsense.

You haven't seen any of these cars perform in person, you don't know any of the people personally, and all of your knowledge is based off you hiding behind a computer. Have fun with that.

Take care.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

i honestly love how people bash on other people, ive had my car back for 2-3 months and let me tell you, ive maybe driven it about 6-7 times since then. The car, before ams got their hands on it, made 420 on stock block gt35r and going from driving that to driving a car that makes 600+ hp more is extremly difficult. And yes i have driven cars in the 700-800 hp range(71 blown camaro, single turbo supra) so i know where chris is coming from. Chris your car is simply amazing, you inspired me to take my car to the level it is now.. Good luck with it!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

You are 100% correct KevPSR I was not there and the bottomline regardless of the excuses you and others post daily on every thread concerning this car is it lost again to a stock block, stock trans, stock rear, full weight, pump gas, DD, 8k TT kit Cobra multiple times in a row!! There is always a excuse because it should've won, right?

I love cars man and have been driving sports cars for 15 years. I've wasted more time on car forums then I should because I love cars: Vipers, vettes, mustangs, Evo's, Nsx, Supras, Porsches, F-bods, I read about them all and have driven all of them. I've been a member on some forums longer than you have had a license 1999 and 2000 for some of them. I hang out with real car guys in car clubs regularly the local vette club and Svtchapter. I'm not a 21 yr old kid that lives and breathes vicariously through someone elses car and doesn't even own a sports car.

The minute anyone questions anything about this car you have a problem with it! You can say what you want about a tuner telling me Chris thought the car was laggy. I PM'd Chris didn't I and asked him if he thought the car was laggy Chris PM'd me back and said he didn't think the car was that laggy. What does that have to do with anything?

Did I say you were hiding videos of losses? I said I heard aka another poster said you were hiding videos of a loss when Chris race the Camaro on the old set up. You said you weren't did I make some huge issue out of it? No, I dropped it.

It doesn't matter anyway the car will be sold and all of this drama that you speak of will disappear. Maybe the new owner will take it to the track and see what it really runs!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
Yeah, I've never driven any fast cars...nope, never How long have you had the car back since the last time it was at AMS?

You should definitely practice brake boosting, it's most definitely worth it in your case and quite easy to do once you get the hang of it. Works quite well on my setup when I race big V8s, they don't run away from me at all on the kick. Also, last time I checked, hp has little effect on shift difficulty.

Regardless, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest. Basically I just hate to see the car perform poorly on the street based on the few vids I've seen personally when all is needed is a bit of polish here and there on the driving. Good luck.
Theres a big difference between the 35R and 42R and maybe thats what you're not understanding. I have had the car back for maybe 6 to 8 months and like said previously its only been driven around 6 or 7 times (it's been so long between driving it I've had to jump it off twice because it was completely dead) .

Last time I checked a 35R doesn't go through the gears nearly as fast as a 42R does which might be why it could be a little easier to miss a gear and also for the record I had never missed one gear when on the 35R setup (as you can see on every vid with the 35R).

I don't see where the car has performed poorly at all. You must really be underestimating the cars and bikes I've been racing. I see that you are pretty close and I don't mean this in a dick way but I was going to tell you that you can come down and test the waters with some of the cars down here and see what I'm talking about and also take a ride and again see what I'm talking about.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolved69
i honestly love how people bash on other people, ive had my car back for 2-3 months and let me tell you, ive maybe driven it about 6-7 times since then. The car, before ams got their hands on it, made 420 on stock block gt35r and going from driving that to driving a car that makes 600+ hp more is extremly difficult. And yes i have driven cars in the 700-800 hp range(71 blown camaro, single turbo supra) so i know where chris is coming from. Chris your car is simply amazing, you inspired me to take my car to the level it is now.. Good luck with it!
Then drive it more at the track and learn how to drive it. What trans. were you running in the Camaro what type of blower cog or belt? Did you ever post on Supraforums or personally drive any of the cars at the track?

Driving is driving running a good time is something totally different, but again you haven't brought your car to the track either.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
You are 100% correct KevPSR I was not there and the bottomline regardless of the excuses you and others post daily on every thread concerning this car is it lost again to a stock block, stock trans, stock rear, full weight, pump gas, DD, 8k TT kit Cobra multiple times in a row!! There is always a excuse because it should've won, right?
I haven't offered any excuses.

I love cars man and have been driving sports cars for 15 years. I've wasted more time on car forums then I should because I love cars: Vipers, vettes, mustangs, Evo's, Nsx, Supras, Porsches, F-bods, I read about them all and have driven all of them. I've been a member on some forums longer than you have had a license 1999 and 2000 for some of them. I hang out with real car guys in car clubs regularly the local vette club and Svtchapter. I'm not a 21 yr old kid that lives and breathes vicariously through someone elses car and doesn't even own a sports car.
I very much enjoy cars and more importantly videography. Not sure what the being older has to do with anything with the tactics you pull online. I'm not 21, I will gladly make remarks to anyone if they have something smart to say about one of MY videos, or a car in MY videos.

The minute anyone questions anything about this car you have a problem with it! You can say what you want about a tuner telling me Chris thought the car was laggy. I PM'd Chris didn't I and asked him if he thought the car was laggy Chris PM'd me back and said he didn't think the car was that laggy. What does that have to do with anything?
Because you are making up crap to play your online detective roll, my point exactly. You PMed me as well saying the same thing.

Did I say you were hiding videos of losses? I said I heard aka another poster said you were hiding videos of a loss when Chris race the Camaro on the old set up. You said you weren't did I make some huge issue out of it? No, I dropped it.
My point exactly again. You are copying and pasting just to try and be a smart azz about anything pertaining to this car. You accussed me of hiding runs between him and a Trans Am btw.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Lastly, and I'm done...it's good to see you post Chris. Watching the incar videos of the car it literally fly's through the gears!! I think that is mainly attributed to the stroker 8.5K redline unless you are spinning it higher? Are you shifting at the same RPM as you were with the 35R? I would guess not due to the different powerband. Many people have posted how buttery easy the shifting was with a TRE/Shep trans that may be part of the problem lockout can be a ***** at high rpm on the stocker? In you're defense if you have only driven the car 6-7 times in the last couple of months you I'm sure you are rusty! Good luck with the sale.

KevPSR, it's a forum, people posted a accusation and I asked you about it. You refuted it I dropped it.....there was no drama!! Hence why I PM'd you

Last edited by Jasil; Nov 8, 2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Edit: Nevermind.

See post #60.

Last edited by KevPSR; Nov 8, 2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, this thread turned into a B|tch fest pretty fast.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Wurd. Anyhow..hope you all enjoy the feature.

Quick Reply: Feature on the 'infamous black EVO'