Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Moved my meth nozzle, car now stumbles at WOT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamo3
I agree that the current location close to the throttle body is fine; that is where I have mine. The nozzle is a little big for stock turbo I'm assuming, but all that means is you have to pull more fuel out of your tune and hope your meth doesn't stop spraying. I say keep your nozzle where it is and get retuned for the new placement of the meth nozzle. Don't put the nozzle before the BOV for obvious reasons.
i have the snow perfromance failsafe coming in the mail in a few days so thats going to be installed and save my engine in the event it does stop spraying

the 15 nozzle is insane, the thing sprays like a faucet...6 - 7 wot 1 - 2- 3 - 4 pulls and the thing is low already..maybe i will go to the 10
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ What I mean with the faulty spraying pattern is that you must have a perfect fittment. You might have the nozzle installed and if is not installed leak free it could drastically leak throught the nozzle thread internally and into the inside of the piping(UICP).

You could also have a leak externally thorugh the rubber/metal washer, this could also be originated by not properly tightening the nozzle to the line.

Any of the two discrepancies could alter the flow and pressure making the mixture other than ideal. By not having a nozzle putting real mist and instead pooring methanol inside the pipe(UICP) it will give you the effects you are describing.

It is a similar principle of an obstructed injector, flow is awfull and eficiency is poor.

Above all, I think that one of your problems is that you relocated the nozzle after the tuning.

Carlos
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
i have the snow perfromance failsafe coming in the mail in a few days so thats going to be installed and save my engine in the event it does stop spraying

the 15 nozzle is insane, the thing sprays like a faucet...6 - 7 wot 1 - 2- 3 - 4 pulls and the thing is low already..maybe i will go to the 10
Yeah, thats why I prefer the 7. Good all around, very safe when combined with safe tune, and uses very little methanol. I had the 15 on my car for a couple days.... its ridiculous. No thanks for me. 7 is much more reasonable for my daily driver.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by teknishnIX
Yeah, thats why I prefer the 7. Good all around, very safe when combined with safe tune, and uses very little methanol. I had the 15 on my car for a couple days.... its ridiculous. No thanks for me. 7 is much more reasonable for my daily driver.
i hear ya man..my car isnt a dd, so i can live with it...
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I have another close friend that went from a 7 to a 10 and didnt gain a single whp. I'm more inclined to listen to Al from Dynoflash personally..... why waste methanol if it isn't necessary.
lol

i know carlos

the reason why Al tunes it the way he tunes because of the high failure rates of those smc kits. he wants to ensure that if there is a failure, the engine will "make it thru"............................................. ...........................hopefully

you cant just switch a 7gph jet out for a 10gph and "magically" expects the car to make more power, it has to come from a more aggressive tune - more timing, less fuel - leaner burn.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Are the smc kits that unreliable? I was thinking about buying one.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
lol

i know carlos

the reason why Al tunes it the way he tunes because of the high failure rates of those smc kits. he wants to ensure that if there is a failure, the engine will "make it thru"............................................. ...........................hopefully

you cant just switch a 7gph jet out for a 10gph and "magically" expects the car to make more power, it has to come from a more aggressive tune - more timing, less fuel - leaner burn.
From what I've read, the failure rates of the SMC kits were all mostly the V1 kits. I won't take it to the bank, but my understanding was that the V2 kit has an excellent track record. I know they have the V3 with new failsafes coming soon as well.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:46 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

"Using very little methanol" and running 28psi of boost on pump gas is not a good combo. Can you get away with a 10 nozzle? Probably but I recommend the 15 nozzle to be safe. One of the reasons the car can make so much power is because the tune can be more aggressive with more methanol you spray, also the more methanol you spray, the more torque you make.

I would look at the nozzle assembly to make sure the methanol is spraying correctly. Moving it closer to the TB elbow shouldn't affect it that drastically.

I would also recommend a wideband o2 so you can see what is actually going on.

Regards,

Martin
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:48 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

I would not recomment the 15 nozzle if your spraying a mixture of water & meth (50/50) or windshield washer fluid. In that case it's too much water mixture being sprayed, and you can step down to a 10 nozzle.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMS
"Using very little methanol" and running 28psi of boost on pump gas is not a good combo. Can you get away with a 10 nozzle? Probably but I recommend the 15 nozzle to be safe. One of the reasons the car can make so much power is because the tune can be more aggressive with more methanol you spray, also the more methanol you spray, the more torque you make.

I would look at the nozzle assembly to make sure the methanol is spraying correctly. Moving it closer to the TB elbow shouldn't affect it that drastically.

I would also recommend a wideband o2 so you can see what is actually going on.

Regards,

Martin
thanks for answering, martin

i have a wideband in the car so i will do a few pulls and see what it tells me

i had a friend push the test button on the smc kit and i looked at the gauge on the nozzle and it read 80 consistently..does that answer if its spraying correctly at all?

as far as making sure the assembly is spraying correctly, how do i do that? do i take it out of the uicp and put the nozzle in a bucket and see if it sprays? i obviously wont be able to see it when its in the uicp...

Last edited by saiyanzzrage; Nov 14, 2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS
I would not recomment the 15 nozzle if your spraying a mixture of water & meth (50/50) or windshield washer fluid. In that case it's too much water mixture being sprayed, and you can step down to a 10 nozzle.
=Agree.

Carlos
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

im going to take the nozzle out and reinstall it on friday and see if that makes a difference, im kinda at a loss as to why it would stumble the car as much as it is..like Martin said it shouldnt make an earth-shattering difference moving the nozzle 2 and a half feet upstream...

if not, im just going to put it back where it was, before the bov

i know its not a good place to put it, Martin tuned the car with it there and it hasnt had any problems, and if there were any problems, he would have seen them during the tune

Last edited by saiyanzzrage; Nov 14, 2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

how about the plugs? I am running the denso iridium one step colder plugs gapped at .28 right now with the HKS DLI II...

could the bucking and stumbling be the plugs? (my car has 5,700 miles on it, and the plugs i put in the day of my tune (approx 600 miles on them))

maybe if i shorten the gap? although i hear its a pain in the rear to gap the iridium plugs if you dont know what youre doing...

any ideas about the plugs?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

That seems like an awefully big gap there. Shouldn't they be around .21 to .23??

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
how about the plugs? I am running the denso iridium one step colder plugs gapped at .28 right now with the HKS DLI II...

could the bucking and stumbling be the plugs? (my car has 5,700 miles on it, and the plugs i put in the day of my tune (approx 600 miles on them))

maybe if i shorten the gap? although i hear its a pain in the rear to gap the iridium plugs if you dont know what youre doing...

any ideas about the plugs?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

That seems like an awefully big gap there. Shouldn't they be around .21 to .23??
thats exactly what my friend told me, to gap them to .22 and he said he can almost guarantee it will solve the problem...he was having the same issues as me and when he lowered the gap he was fine

i have the hks DLI ii so i will start working down to .26 first and see what happens...

its strange that it wasnt breaking up during the tune though...

im hoping this is the problem and regapping will cure it, sucks to have to pay for a retune again

Last edited by saiyanzzrage; Nov 15, 2006 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Moved my meth nozzle, car now stumbles at WOT