Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

]AMS MazdaSpeed3 Test: The in's and outs of the MS3 powerplant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats out for torque steer..
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Are people really looking at the info correctly, it seems like everybody is just amazed at the peak numbers and not paying attention to the gains. Peak numbers are nice, but so many dynos read differently.

So it seems like the MS3 will not see great gains with bolt ons, but it was really interesting to see how the stock MS3 falls flat on its face at higher RPMs (need to short shift that bad boy). But it was interesting to see the differences that the boost controller and more boost made, the cars was making around 240whp@6000RPM with BC@18PSI compared to stock 200whp@6000RPM. I think a tune will make a big difference, I am interested in seeing the results.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Are people really looking at the info correctly, it seems like everybody is just amazed at the peak numbers and not paying attention to the gains. Peak numbers are nice, but so many dynos read differently.

So it seems like the MS3 will not see great gains with bolt ons, but it was really interesting to see how the stock MS3 falls flat on its face at higher RPMs (need to short shift that bad boy). But it was interesting to see the differences that the boost controller and more boost made, the cars was making around 240whp@6000RPM with BC@18PSI compared to stock 200whp@6000RPM. I think a tune will make a big difference, I am interested in seeing the results.
Yea, thanks for calling us all morons because we obviously didn't see that.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Yea, thanks for calling us all morons because we obviously didn't see that.
I wasn't calling anybody morons, and I definitly didn't use the word all. If I did I would have started my post with, "Are all people...".

I am sorry if you are potential MS3 buyer and I hurt your feelings, I forgot that the MS3 is best thing to ever hit the car market .
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Nice

These little cars are badass.
I saw one run consistant 13 flat at the track and it was stock.
This is not joke for the $$$$

I wasn't calling anybody morons, and I definitly didn't use the word all. If I did I would have started my post with, "Are all people...".

I am sorry if you are potential MS3 buyer and I hurt your feelings, I forgot that the MS3 is best thing to ever hit the car market .
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yea this cars gonna do some serious damage. im looking for someone in my area so i can check one out up close.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, simply bringing light to the fact that you repeated everything that Chris had already said...so in essence you belittled everyone who's posted in this thread and "insinuated" that some/most of us had no clue what we were looking at.

Carry on
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if this car came out a year ago, would have changed some peoples mind over the IX. Don't get me wrong, I love my IX and probably would have still bought it, but at the time, the MS6 and the STI were my only other choice for what I was after. Both the MS6 and STI, were both around $34,000, compared to the IX's going around $29,$30. It was a no brainer, get more for less, but for $23,$24 for a MS3, for some people that don't use the EVO to it's fullest potential (racing), the MS3 would make a great DD and a great (Bang for your Buck).
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Nice to see some numbers on the MS3. Are you guys going to be testing the MazdaSpeed bolton upgrades? They're allegedly worth some HP...

l8r)
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor

you **** me off.... and from the results i see you produce, any ms3 will stomp you lol

this car's already sick fast... its producing the same numbers a stock evo makes...

and will the 270 whp and 330 tq will crush an evo from a roll, esp with you driving lol

stop insulting other cars, seems like the only thing you're good at.. might wanna practice driving instead of talking
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

congrats on the numbers from just adding a mbc and chopping the exhaust...

any idea what the potential is with a few basic upgrades

tune
mbc
exhaust
intake
front mount
intercooler piping
bpv

plus or minus the list....

cheers!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gusl
These little cars are badass.
I saw one run consistant 13 flat at the track and it was stock.
This is not joke for the $$$$
Sorry, but I find this very hard to believe. Stock?? yeah right.

240 whp + FWD + 3000 lbs = 13 flat??? kinda hard to imagine, especially with a power band that falls flat on it's face after 5500rpm.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
I think if this car came out a year ago, would have changed some peoples mind over the IX. Don't get me wrong, I love my IX and probably would have still bought it, but at the time, the MS6 and the STI were my only other choice for what I was after. Both the MS6 and STI, were both around $34,000, compared to the IX's going around $29,$30. It was a no brainer, get more for less, but for $23,$24 for a MS3, for some people that don't use the EVO to it's fullest potential (racing), the MS3 would make a great DD and a great (Bang for your Buck).
I bought my Evo back in the end of April because I did not want to wait for the MS3 for a comparo. At the time they were expecting the first ones to be in dealerships by September but knowing how far off they were on the MS6 delivery dates, I did not expect that they would be out before December (about the time they came out). Had it been out at the time I bought my Evo, it would have been a tough choice.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Evo and after 10,000 miles and not a thing wrong, I can't complain. But anyone has to admit, for $23,500, the MS3 is a great deal.

Also, great technical write-up. I will be curious to see how much power people start pulling out of the MS3's
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor

I think the largest gains will be seen when the throttle stays open the whole run... Imagine changing everything you can and never seeing any gains because the computer kills it all by closing the throttle plate...

As soon as AccessPort is available for the MS3, the TRUE potential of the car will come to light..
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Actually if you could fine-tune the throttle to account for different tires/weather conditions, now that would be sweet. IIRC Mazda has it detuned in the first 3 gears to help manage wheelspin and torque steer, no?

l8r)

Quick Reply: ]AMS MazdaSpeed3 Test: The in's and outs of the MS3 powerplant