Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS 50 Trim kit plus Torco Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMS 50 Trim kit plus Torco Accelerator

Today one of our customers came into the shop to be retuned. He had a 10 gallon tank of 93 octane and this $13.00 bottle of Torco Accelerator Fuel Additive. Now We dont have any research with this stuff as of yet...so don't go running out to buy it becuase you heard AMS approves. We have some more digging to do but the results are pretty nice.

Typically you can run a little more timing with race gas but the knock threshold didn't change with this additive. We could not put anymore timing at it. Still the HP gains were shocking to put it mildly.

This car has the AMS Stage 1-3 with our 50 Trim ball bearing tubro kit.

The First run is 93 octane and the second run is 93 octane with Torco accelerator additive.

Great Numbers! make me want an AMS 50 Trim kit even more.

The mid range power pickup is GREAT. Close to 50 ft lbs of torque and close to 65 whp.

Again there is no testing behind the Torco additive just yet, I dont know if its harmful to the motor, seals etc. I will be looking into it though.

Eric
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually have used it in the past and it sure gave me some power! But also mucked up and burnt out my 02 sensors. Doh! and boy was I having to change plugs more frequently. But this was not on an evo.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

It was my car and yeah, I'd heard great reviews about the Torco Accelerator product and did some research and everything I read seemed positive, although it was mostly people running it in nearly stock cars. I figured I'd give it a shot, and here's the results.

There is an orangey residue on the plugs, and I have no doubt I'll have to change them more frequently. The car was also breaking up and we had to re-gap the NGK7's to .022-.023??? I believe. You can ask Chris to be certain as he did so and tuned the car.

The boost is spiking to around 28 or so pounds and holds for a bit, tapering to roughly 25psi at redline. the AFR's are 11.0-11.5ish.

I definitely love the car and the tune is great, props to Chris for that.

I beleive Martin is going to do some more research about the accelerator and see what he turns up. Hopefully it's all good, but if not, I was quite satisfied with my pump gas power as well, so we'll have to wait and see.

If I do run into any problems, I'll post up here so you guys can know about it.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Woa, that's almost exactly what I was experiencing- the same residue ont he plugs and the car was breaking up pretty bad. I had a mazdaspeed protege- that was not stock at all and was running much more boost than normal- with some occassional spiking.

I used this for about 6 months before I sold the car. I was having some AFR readings that were a little wacky after a bit (I think the torco additive had burnt my stock O2 sensor and then may have also mucked the sensor connected to the AEM AFR gauge.

But regardless- adds power- that's for sure!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:21 PM
Account Disabled

good stuff...
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smp3000
Woa, that's almost exactly what I was experiencing- the same residue ont he plugs and the car was breaking up pretty bad. I had a mazdaspeed protege- that was not stock at all and was running much more boost than normal- with some occassional spiking.

I used this for about 6 months before I sold the car. I was having some AFR readings that were a little wacky after a bit (I think the torco additive had burnt my stock O2 sensor and then may have also mucked the sensor connected to the AEM AFR gauge.

But regardless- adds power- that's for sure!
I see. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on everything that's for sure. My rear 02 sensor is junk already I beleive and I'm running an o2 sim to stop the CEL.

Hopefully everything will be fine. I'm running 1 quart per 10 gallons. If you don't mind me asking what mix were you using in the MS Protege?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Oh gosh I don't remember- I think 1 qt (can/bottle) per tank which was like 14 gallons. But I never really regulated it- I was young and dumb and single lol. It was actually not an MS protege but a boosted Mazda MP3 (version right before MS protege without the turbo but advanced timing) - I was using a T303 Garret turbo and an MPI tuner for EMS.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

ah I see. I plan on just filling up exactly 10 gal everytime instead of a full tank and then rockin one of those and hopefully I won't have any problems haha!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
what were boost numbers before and after?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

I currently run this in my car to get 93 octane and have been for over a year and half. Where I live we only have 90 available which sucks! I mix 11oz with 10 gallons but when I want a higher octane I use more. I noticed it gain in power and there are alot of subies that use this where I live and they also had Cobb make them special maps for the torco.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

what did you change tune wise between the two runs?

BenjyJ- what are your full supporting mods??

Thank you!!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just gonna stick with meth injection
Old Feb 8, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I ve already used a whole box (6 cans) of the torco stuff... the car can easily take more boost without knocking... i would spike 26psi on my defi without any problems... never experimented with adding more timing...

Orange residue on the plugs is confirmed. I have 5500 miles and still on the stock plugs but i am changing them this saturday... no ill effects thought...

Currently i am trying and testing the Klotz HitRate, which works similarly to the Torco additive...

Adding 1 gallon of Klotz in 9 gallons of 92+ octane you get 103-105 (r+m)/2 rating. I contacted Klotz and made lots of questions about their product... Again It seems that the car can easily handle 26psi spikes and the car feels much more smooth...When i have time i will go to the dyno (much safer than the road) and make passes while increasing boost to see how the car reacts...the worst knock counts that i ve seen are 1s and 2s while overboosting... anywhere else 0s...

I ve already tested my car with 7 gallons of 93 and 3 gallons of C16, which according to me calculations equals to a bit over 100 actane rating (m+r)/2 and would easily handle 30psi spikes... so Klotz (and that i was told from Klotz people too) could easily handle same boost easily...

Anyway... Torco and now Klotz are definitely worthy products and THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CRAPPY OCTANE BOOSTERS that you can find in various stores...
Old Feb 8, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

One of my buddies runs the torco stuff in his 03 cobra with a whipple blower and all the supporting mods. Has never had a ill affect with it yet and hes been running it for a while.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Let me get this right, the only change made was adding the Torco product? Same boost same timing same AFR's?

Quick Reply: AMS 50 Trim kit plus Torco Accelerator