Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

So Much For a BaseLine Dyno Run

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry So Much For a BaseLine Dyno Run

Called in to AMS today and spoke with Santiago. I ask if there is any availability to do

some base line dyno runs this weekend. He says there is not. I asked when it will be

available, let set up an appointment. He says he doesn't know. Ok, Who can I talk to that

will? He says the sales staff. Eric gets on the phone, I ask him when the dyno will be

available for a base line dyno run. I want to know what my car will put down in the winter

months and in the summer months before I start modding or tuning. He says it is booked

for the next three - four weeks. Some of them have come from out of state and are

sitting in the parking lot. OK, great you guys are doing well, lets set up an appointment

after that for a baseline dyno run, I can wait. We dont have time. Wait, you don't have

time for a customer who wants to use the dyno, a service advertised on your site? I

can't make an appointment for the future. Only tuning going on, indefinitely?

WTF is this, they don't want to put a car on the dyno because he doesn't want a tune, just a base line.

So, if I wanted to spend more money on a tune, I could get an appointment on the

dyno for a few weeks from now? He said it was not about money. (But I can set an

appointment for a tune 3 - 4 weeks from now, but thats not what I want.) But

what else is it about? If you offer a service, and then tell a customer that you can't schedule an

appointment for them because its booked, with customers waiting for tuning, which is a

service. And I call in to set up an appointment for a base line run, and am told they

cant set an appointment when it is available! Way to alienate your clients. I planned on

Dynoing this winter and again the the summer before I begin to do any modding. I was

looking at the AMS TBE and the FMIC Race Kit and tuning afterwords. And if I do any dyno testing, tuning etc.

I want to do it on the same dyno so I don't have to calibrate the results for each dyno I

test on. Makes sense. (that was not a question) If others have experienced this type of

treatment from AMS, please feel free to post your thoughts and concerns. Other wise,

you were not on the phone with Santiago, Eric, or I, so dont waste time clarifying what

they clearly state is a service on their web site. Being treated as if my desire to do a

base line run is unimportant and tedious defeats the purpose of having it as a service

on your site. If you don't want to perform the service because you can make more

money from tuning, then don't advertise the service. Dont forget how you got to this

point AMS, customer relations are important. If I were traveling in from out of town to

do some tuning/dyno runs and I read this thread, I would think twice. I hope

someone at AMS reads this.

Here is a link to their site where they have DYNO RUNS advertised.

http://www.amsperformance.com/dynotuning.php

Last edited by Masanari; Feb 22, 2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Call up again and just say you are schedualing a dyno run or 2> Stop your whining you girly-man!!!!!!!!!! yerrrrrrrrrggggggggggg!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First I have to apologize for the misinformation on the website. I am in the process of taking that down. During the slower months it was not that difficult for us to get a car for three pulls. The problem now is that we do not have slower months. Anyone that has visited us knows there is a long list of cars waiting to get on the dyno for tuning. We made the decision mid last year to close down the dyno for people wanting to do base runs. Scheduling simply became too difficult.

When we book a car for a tune we obviously set aside a certain time block for us to accomplish this. The problem lies in the fact that not all cars that make an apointment for a tune are ready for a tune. When this happens the rollers have to stop turning and we have to fix the issue. This just adds to the number of cars already waiting for a tune. Its a pretty nasty snowball effect.

when you make a dyno tuning apointment at AMS you don't do it for a certain hour of the day. Its more like a 3 day window. That way we can take into account the problems that are going to pop up with that car and other in house builds that are awaiting a tune. If we were to allow for cars to come in for three pulls it add to that already long line of cars that have to see our dyno. This is why we can't book baseline pulls. I simply can't guarantee when we can do them. Who wants to drop there car off for a few days to get a baseline dyno pull?!

Myself and Santiago were very pleasant to you on the phone and tried to explain the situation as clearly as possible. We even gave you the name of a local shop that has an AWD dynojet so you can do some base numbers. We refer almost all people in your shoes their way.

I understand your position and what you want to accomplish but I have to do what is best for our entire customer base and this is the best course of action. Once we can get a larger facility and some more room and time I am sure we will be able to open our dyno up for baselines again.

In the meantime I can offer you the following:
We plan on having a Dyno day for Evo's and Subaru's in the next 4-8 weeks here at the shop over the course of a weekend. When that does happen please ask for me personally and I will get you three pulls for NO CHARGE we don't want to see any customer walk away unhappy but sometimes you can't please everyone. I Hope you accept our apology and to see you at a dyno day in the near future.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Feb 22, 2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, complaining on the internet about not being able to get baseline pulls when they clearly told you that the dyno was completely booked up for the next few weeks just seems a bit ridiculous and childish. I can tell you for a fact, coming from a customer stand point they do all they can and MORE to help their customers in any way shape or form and there is no other shop that i would have work on my car but them.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

There you go; AMS is Awsome!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:30 AM
Account Disabled

AMS ftw...
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

In response.

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
First I have to apologize for the misinformation on the website. I am in the process of taking that down. During the slower months it was not that difficult for us to get a car for three pulls. The problem now is that we do not have slower months. Anyone that has visited us knows there is a long list of cars waiting to get on the dyno for tuning. We made the decision mid last year to close down the dyno for people wanting to do base runs. Scheduling simply became too difficult.

------Good to know it is being changed, since mid last year?-------

When we book a car for a tune we obviously set aside a certain time block for us to accomplish this. The problem lies in the fact that not all cars that make an apointment for a tune are ready for a tune. When this happens the rollers have to stop turning and we have to fix the issue. This just adds to the number of cars already waiting for a tune. Its a pretty nasty snowball effect.

------I can understand this effect---------

when you make a dyno tuning apointment at AMS you don't do it for a certain hour of the day. Its more like a 3 day window. That way we can take into account the problems that are going to pop up with that car and other in house builds that are awaiting a tune. If we were to allow for cars to come in for three pulls it add to that already long line of cars that have to see our dyno. This is why we can't book baseline pulls. I simply can't guarantee when we can do them. Who wants to drop there car off for a few days to get a baseline dyno pull?!

------Had I known there was a window of time as opposed to an appointment, I would understand a bit more, but the information is still dated and expect that things are up to date when a business advertises it's services.----------

Myself and Santiago were very pleasant to you on the phone and tried to explain the situation as clearly as possible. We even gave you the name of a local shop that has an AWD dynojet so you can do some base numbers. We refer almost all people in your shoes their way.

---------You were pleasant, but from my point of view I had information based upon data on your site, and to ask to set an appointment, then be told that I can't is discouraging and begs the question, what is their motive? As well I am interested in a tune but not before having a base line done during the winter and summer. Thanks for the reference. I have been to their shop for a dyno day in the past. Great place.-------

I understand your position and what you want to accomplish but I have to do what is best for our entire customer base and this is the best course of action. Once we can get a larger facility and some more room and time I am sure we will be able to open our dyno up for baselines again.

-------Sounds good---------

In the meantime I can offer you the following:
We plan on having a Dyno day for Evo's and Subaru's in the next 4-8 weeks here at the shop over the course of a weekend. When that does happen please ask for me personally and I will get you three pulls for NO CHARGE we don't want to see any customer walk away unhappy but sometimes you can't please everyone. I Hope you accept our apology and to see you at a dyno day in the near future.

------Had you mentioned the Dyno day on the phone I would not have posted this thread. As I stated my goal is simple and not outside of what was defined on your site in terms of services. I appreciate your offer for 3 Free pulls, it is very kind of you. Pleasing everyone is impossible and suicide at the same time, I do not ask for special treatment, just that you honor the services listed on your site. Glad I called first. Apology accepted, thank you for extending it to me.--------
Eric
Overall I know AMS does great work, I met someone in Houston who trailered his Evo up here for a plethora of performance add ons. I see the results of your work, and know it will be worth every penny, but it is not my fault that the site has not been updated since mid last year. How am I to know. Then to call and be treated as if I am unimportant because other people are getting tuned? I have no problem standing in line, and am willing to wait, and presented with up to date information I can make a decision as to where I want to go.

To help me understand the process a bit more.....

A tune requires what? The car is strapped down to the Dyno and a computer is hooked up to it, pulls are done and things are tweaked,pulls are done again, and then more tweaking, then the car is pulled off the dyno and another car gets on. Why does it matter if the car is just doing base line pulls or being tuned. Does the dyno need to be recalibrated each time a car gets on it for tuning, and again for base line pulls? Does the Dyno know if the car is being tuned or just having baseline numbers established?

Again thanks for updating the information, I hope I can come to the Dyno Day when it happens.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by redevo58
Wow, complaining on the internet about not being able to get baseline pulls when they clearly told you that the dyno was completely booked up for the next few weeks just seems a bit ridiculous and childish. I can tell you for a fact, coming from a customer stand point they do all they can and MORE to help their customers in any way shape or form and there is no other shop that i would have work on my car but them.
---Comprehending information isn't your strong point is it. No worry I will reiterate. It wasn't a question of it being booked, I can wait, but to be told I CAN NOT set an appointment for a future date to perform a service listed on their site is like shooting yourself in the foot, what else has changed that would affect a decision by anyone wanting to have work done at their shop? I am sure they go out of their way, they have kept their establishment open past the first year of business, which is a feat in itself considering how many business go under within the first year. I applaud their work and it is fantastic. But again, information is what decisions are based upon.---
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WaxThis2005
Call up again and just say you are schedualing a dyno run or 2> Stop your whining you girly-man!!!!!!!!!! yerrrrrrrrrggggggggggg!
Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

A tune requires what? The car is strapped down to the Dyno and a computer is hooked up to it, pulls are done and things are tweaked,pulls are done again, and then more tweaking, then the car is pulled off the dyno and another car gets on. Why does it matter if the car is just doing base line pulls or being tuned. Does the dyno need to be recalibrated each time a car gets on it for tuning, and again for base line pulls? Does the Dyno know if the car is being tuned or just having baseline numbers established?
thank you for understanding Let me go into a little more depth on our little scheduling dilema:

When a customer calls to make an apointment for a dyno tune we book a block of time aside. We do this because we are not sure when the car will exactly be able to put on the dyno. Every morning the order changes based on availability and if the tuners are able to get it on and work there magic while jugling their other duties. It is for that reason I cannot make an appointmend for pulls, I honestly dont know when im going to have a window. Even if i were to schedule you it might coincide with a car allready here to be tuned or some other car that was allready on the schedule for tuning. Its not a money issue it just really throws off our abilty to get cars back in the hands of the owners as fast as possible. The only time we really have a chance to do baseline pulls are on dyno days.

I have nothing to gain from doing this, in fact im losing money from not taking in dyno pulls. But in the end our customers that are here for builds and retunes get their cars back in a timely manner. The downside to this is that the few people that want to do baseline pulls are left unserviced. You can't please everyone and this is a perfect example. Again once things get a little more situated here I hope to allow baseline pulls again. Untill then we have to result to dyno days when we have the chance.

I hope clears up any questions you may have.

Eric
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Does the dyno need to be recalibrated when a car is being tuned as opposed to when it is just putting down a base line?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

sounds like AMS needs to enact the "right to refuse service to anyone"..

to the original poster-
please refrain from demanding service from AMS and putting out your frustration on the internet. it doesnt need to happen. IF they are busy, they are busy. simple. they also gave you several explainations why they dont have time, and quite frankly-your one of them. INSTEAD of tuning a car and getting a job done, he is posting here giving YOU an explaination of what they do for scheduling. AMS is a great shop and has given us in the EVO community vasts amount of information, awesome tuning, and some FAST AZZ CARS. please respect Eric and the rest of the AMS crew...they can only do so much as they are an elite team.

as a side note: he even offered you THREE FREE DYNO PULLS. i think that is customer service enough...

AMS, keep up the outstanding work.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
...............In the meantime I can offer you the following:
We plan on having a Dyno day for Evo's and Subaru's in the next 4-8 weeks here at the shop over the course of a weekend...............
Eric
I'm eagerly awaiting some quick dyno tuning in March!!!

I understand your pain, I've been pm'ing Eric every few weeks to see when I can get in!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats some bad *** customer service right there from Eric!!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Masanari
Does the dyno need to be recalibrated when a car is being tuned as opposed to when it is just putting down a base line?

Thanks
No it does not but alot of the cars here that get strapped on the dyno have to have the bumper taken off, Gas drained and of course strapped down. Having to do all the twice Really takes up time. Again its nothing personal but we simply cannot do it at this time.

Eric

Quick Reply: So Much For a BaseLine Dyno Run