Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS VSR Stock Turbo Results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS always makes top notch products
Old Mar 1, 2007, 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Kee1pride
get out of here. stop ******* on ams's product's. i see what you're doing and you're pretty much talking shi* about their products without being blunt.

the point of the thread was to show the gains of their product on a stock turbo, not to appease your quirks and put downs.

you want some testing done, do it your self. it's their time and money to do this for us. grow up
I never questioned the quality of their products. I believe they are top notch. Relax fanboy. Actually keep on talking, you entertain me.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 04:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
There are some connections on the stock intake manifold that can't be connected to the VSR, correct? Maybe EGR? Is there any way around setting a Check Engine Light by putting on this manifold, if you are still running the stock ECU?

midwestmonster ran a UTEC, so he could just shut off the CEL light through the UTEC, but that wouldn't help anyone without a UTEC and, even if the light were off, the car would fail an OBD-II emissions test.

Does AMS have a workaround solution for these issues?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
Ported stock intake manifold for the win for the stock turbo.
you might not be talking $hit about it but you're implying that people shouldnt buy it for this setup when it clearly makes power.

Do you guys really want to lose 60 foot pounds of torque at 3500rpm and gain 11 horsepower and 4.5 torque up top? Spool up time will also be 600rpm slower. This product is totally not worth it for the price if you still have the stock turbo.
still being negative about something that you don't have all the facts on

Okay, guys. Prove me wrong.
now ams has to proove them selves to you? yah ok.

That's much better. Now, how about a ported stock intake manifold test?
why? so it could prove their product inferior or something?

Of course it will make more power, but how much more over the ported stock intake manifold with the stock turbo is the question and topic here. We need to establish the cost effectiveness of the item.
like i said. that was never the topic. the topic is not "appease vigos intake manifold needs". it's not AMS's fault that you're a cheapskate. go buy some ebay intake manifolds.

I never questioned the quality of their products. I believe they are top notch. Relax fanboy. Actually keep on talking, you entertain me.

every one of your posts hasn't so bluntly said this product is a waste of money, but it has implied it in one way or another.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Of course it will make more power, but how much more over the ported stock intake manifold with the stock turbo is the question and topic here. We need to establish the cost effectiveness of the item.
I dont wanna drag this whole thing out longer than it needs to but, seriously guy...Its an intake manifold. It's known that intake manifolds are not cost effective(relatively). They all go for aroun 700-1000+ for the good ones(that work how they say they do) and all only make better power in the upper rpm ranges. This manifold, and most others, doesn't claim to be an all around bang for buck HP producing product.
Your wrong, theres NO need to establish the cost effectiveness of the item. With most manifolds, yes, you will lose spool, yes, you will loose low end, but thats what happens when you go from long narrow runners to short wide(or VSR) runners. I think you and Warrtalon would make good friends .
Old Mar 2, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

A ported stocker has already been tested by Buschur. For AMS to test one would be a waste of time. Their VSR is superior.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

that might be why buschur sells ams's vsr on their website. never thought i'd see the day where ams's products were on buschurs site but that just goes to show how much faith he has in their product.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
Account Disabled

At Kee1pride! You have accomplished nothing with your illogical posts.

Last edited by Vigo; Mar 2, 2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mhgsx
A ported stocker has already been tested by Buschur. For AMS to test one would be a waste of time. Their VSR is superior.
The only thing I've seen Busc hur post is that the ported stock intake with a 65mm throttle body makes a solid 15 whp with no losses anywhere. Without seeing the total curves for both manifolds, it's hard to say much about how they compare.

For this comparison here, was there a stock unported throttle body bolted up to the VSR? That seems kind of silly if that was the case, but then so does a 9.8 hotside with the VSR
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

stuff
k. if you say so.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LetItBreath
I dont wanna drag this whole thing out longer than it needs to but, seriously guy...Its an intake manifold. It's known that intake manifolds are not cost effective(relatively). They all go for aroun 700-1000+ for the good ones(that work how they say they do) and all only make better power in the upper rpm ranges. This manifold, and most others, doesn't claim to be an all around bang for buck HP producing product.
Your wrong, theres NO need to establish the cost effectiveness of the item. With most manifolds, yes, you will lose spool, yes, you will loose low end, but thats what happens when you go from long narrow runners to short wide(or VSR) runners. I think you and Warrtalon would make good friends .
Thank you for your kind words. As always we aim to please

Your information is just a little off though. On the AMS VSR Stock Turbo test we lost almost ZERO Hp, Torque and spool. There really is no negative to putting this on the car.

Eric
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I wanted to follow up and ask about the various (EGR & MDP specificly) emissions hookups and what, if any solutions AMS has/provides to combat them. Just as EVO8LTW asked.. I didn't want his valid question to be missed in the chatter.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
The only thing I've seen Busc hur post is that the ported stock intake with a 65mm throttle body makes a solid 15 whp with no losses anywhere. Without seeing the total curves for both manifolds, it's hard to say much about how they compare.

For this comparison here, was there a stock unported throttle body bolted up to the VSR? That seems kind of silly if that was the case, but then so does a 9.8 hotside with the VSR

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
We started testing throttle bodies last week. I posted the results. I WAS DEAD a** WRONG ABOUT THE RESULTS. I don't know if I was seeing what I wanted to see or what. I had the two dyno charts flipped. In other words the last one was on top and the first one was on the bottom. This lead me to believe there was NO gain from the throttle body bolted to the stock intake. I WAS WRONG. I read the chart wrong. The 65 mm throttle body, both ours and Works, did gain HP. No peak HP was gained but it smoothed out the dips in the run and in those dips the gains were 3-5 whp. This is even with the stock hole still in the intake. Sorry for posting the wrong information.

Next thing we wanted to try was the Extrude Honed intake with the 65 mm throttle body. This is when the testing went down hill and has cost me 5 nights of sleep. The power dropped. The boost dropped. I had the intake off the car 3 times, the throttle body off atleast 8 times. No matter what I did I could NOT maintain more than 16 psi of boost at redline. EVERYTHING was checked or eliminated. The only change was the intake and throttle body. The low end tire spinning monster was gone. The car was lazy to spool and had no boost at redline. Before the intake we were able to hold 19 psi in the 7,000-7500 range. Now max boost in that range was 16 psi. Power was down but I have to attribute this to the dropped boost as I know the Extrude Honed intake will make more power. Ended up no matter what we tried all we could make was 356 whp and 359 ft lbs.

We then decided something was terribly messed up. I bolted on our sheetmetal intake (Magnus builds it for us) with the 3" throttle body. Results were the same. 16 psi of boost at redline and even less power than the extrude hone with the 65mm!

Put the Extrude Honed intake back on and bolted the stock throttle body to it. With the intake hole opened up it made the 65 mm throttle body perform even better. 8-10 whp across the board was lost using the stock throttle body.
Looks like 8-10 HP w/ a ported TB. This AMS test doesn't mention anything about the TB so I supposed we can assume they used the stocker. Makes you wonder how much more HP if they coupled the VSR with a 65 mm TB (extra 5-10 hp??)
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

January 13, 2007:

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The stock ported with our TB is worth a solid 15 whp on a decently modified EVO and has NO losses ANYWHERE in the power band. That is VERY important.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
January 13, 2007:
That's interesting; I must have missed that. When did he re-test and are there any links??

Quick Reply: AMS VSR Stock Turbo Results