Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Power steering delete kit: Is it worth the trouble for a street/highway car?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMS Power steering delete kit: Is it worth the trouble for a street/highway car?

I was looking at AMS's power steering delete kit.

1) How easy is the install?

2) Is the installation process easily reversed? if I wanna go back to stock?

3) Is it a messy process to install? P/S fluid splashing everywhere

4) whats the estimated WHP gain?

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2007, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the HP gain is going to be equivalent to that of a lightweight pulley, not a whole lot. Its more of a weight saving thing. The install isnt too hard and so long as you are careful you wont make that big of a mess.

Eric
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
for a street car I would recommend against it. I'd consider it a racecar(drag, road) only mod.

Try this, turn your key on but do not start the engine, turn your steering wheel. Thats what its like, lol.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
for a street car I would recommend against it. I'd consider it a racecar(drag, road) only mod.

Try this, turn your key on but do not start the engine, turn your steering wheel. Thats what its like, lol.
yeah that would suck....especially if i had to make an illegal u-turn
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man i drove a evo with this kit on it it was not fun at all. It was real hard to turn i took one turn at 35 almost hit the curb im pretty strong but this is one hell of a work out even if you get use to it. This is forsure a drag car mod not a daily driver.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Hey man i drove a evo with this kit on it it was not fun at all. It was real hard to turn i took one turn at 35 almost hit the curb im pretty strong but this is one hell of a work out even if you get use to it. This is forsure a drag car mod not a daily driver.
I see I see...its kinda wierd since I removed my P/S system out of my 95 Integra GSR and never really had any big struggle with it... but I guess for the sake of having a comfortable street/highway car, I'll keep my P/S system intact.

Thanks for everyones input
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'd go against it too if its more of a daily driven car for you, I'd only recommend it for straight up drag racing only, cuz all you gotta do is go straight and that's it. Driving without ps is a *****, trust me.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
I see I see...its kinda wierd since I removed my P/S system out of my 95 Integra GSR and never really had any big struggle with it... but I guess for the sake of having a comfortable street/highway car, I'll keep my P/S system intact.

Thanks for everyones input
Keep in mind that the Integra is a whole lot lighter. Tire width also makes a huge difference.

A bit off-topic, but I drove a Zanardi edition NSX yesterday, and it was surprisingly easy to manuver around a parking lot even with no power steering.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

I have a manuel steering rack in my 1G and once ur going 2mph it turns easy as butter. I have a freid who just took off the pump and looped all the lines and its hard as hell to turn at speed.

Last edited by whitey4d; Apr 21, 2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The big problem is you really need a manual rack also, a power rack doesn't have the mechanical advantage required for it to be easy to turn without the assist.

I don't know of a manual rack that even exists that would work for the Evo, especially one with the right ratio and turns to lock.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The big problem is you really need a manual rack also, a power rack doesn't have the mechanical advantage required for it to be easy to turn without the assist.

I don't know of a manual rack that even exists that would work for the Evo, especially one with the right ratio and turns to lock.
interesting point
Old Apr 21, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
interesting point
the reason the evo is so much harder is b/c of the steering ratio, the weight, and the tires. Teg/civic are pie with no p/s, even with my h22 in my ek coupe no p/s it still wasn't too bad. Evo however a diff story