Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Help! Engine diagnosis wanted before appointment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS Help! Engine diagnosis wanted before appointment

AMS Guys-

I am thinking I need to make an appointment to have my car checked out with you after I had it at the strip this past weekend. I was wondering if you could take a look at this video I made of the issue where it limps for a second around 40000 RPM when I go into WOT. I am thinking it is either the plugs as opposed to a boost leak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDj7q4nVoFM

You can see how the RPM dips down a second then back up when I try to quickly accelerate. If I accelerate slowly I do not run into this issue at all. Hopefully you guys can let me know what I can do prior to taking it to you for a further inspection. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you running a stock turbo and pump gas? That is a lot of boost for a stock turbo on pump.

For me, the video does not give me enough information to lean towards any specific issue. Please call the shop and get on the schedule so we can take a look and get your issue sorted out.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

You shouldn't rev it to 40,000 RPM anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spikedlee
AMS Guys-

I am thinking I need to make an appointment to have my car checked out with you after I had it at the strip this past weekend. I was wondering if you could take a look at this video I made of the issue where it limps for a second around 40000 RPM when I go into WOT. I am thinking it is either the plugs as opposed to a boost leak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDj7q4nVoFM

You can see how the RPM dips down a second then back up when I try to quickly accelerate. If I accelerate slowly I do not run into this issue at all. Hopefully you guys can let me know what I can do prior to taking it to you for a further inspection. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Its really hard to tell by the video, bring it on by when you get a chance and we will take it for a test drive really quick. The boost seems a little high but I cant guarantee the accuracy of a cobalt guage.

Eric
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

My guess would be clutch, how many miles on your stocker, Have you been doing a lot of 2-steps lately..
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Are you going WOT every time you accelerate or are you slowly pushing in?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by I-Dom-In-8
My guess would be clutch, how many miles on your stocker, Have you been doing a lot of 2-steps lately..
If it was his clutch the RPMS would go up but his speed wouldnt.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

If you watch the vid again at about 25sec he hits the gas it looks like the speedo isnt going but the rpms jump, guess we will see soon enough.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think its the clutch, thats going bad. Are you still on the stock clutch? mine finally gave up after 46k ;-d Still can go WOT in 2nd 3rd, just no launching.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the clutch slips for a second then grabs. Do a pull in a higher gear I think you'll find more slip. Bend over and hike the wallet.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Apr 24, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Juat a few things in response to everyone since I was at work all day and couldn't respond:

1. A 2-step has been performed on the car a total of 5 times. 3 a while back to practice, and twice at the track during my first two runs. The last two runs were done without it.

2. I am definitley not pressing down all the way on the gas, but I do slowly push more to accelerate over 3000 RPM and it does it's limp thing around 15 psi and then continues on so I have not tried to fly forward in any certain gear. At this point I am not even going to attempt to test the thing anymore until it is inspected and have rarely even gone over 5 psi of boost on the road.

3. The RPM's defintley just dip down a second as opposed to revving up, which is why I did not think it was the clutch. The car has a little over 23K miles on the stock clutch and stock turbo. So far I have put about 14K miles on it since I purchased it with 9K and have babied it up until this weekend really since it is my daily driver to and from work every day.

4. The car had the BCS modified by AMS to allow for more boost when I had the downpipe and fuel pump installed there, so there is no MBC in there currently. I know Autometers tend to read high so I do not think I am actually running as much boost as it says. In 5th gear in high RPM's it says 25 psi but that is the only time it really ever gets that high is in that gear.

I have already booked an appointment with AMS as soon as they open next Monday and I will post what the final results are...hopefully not an expensive one! Thanks for everyone's feedback and for AMS getting me set up for inspection.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:27 PM

Timing might be getting pulled at that much boost on pump gas. If you know anyone that can datalog a couple pulls, that may give us a better idea of what is going on.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Does it get worse in higher gears? It does sound like it could possibly be a sipping clutch.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

could very well be plugs, had a 2G car on c-16 stop in its tracks when it would go into load and wouldnt go over 7psi because of plugs, swaped them out, ran 30psi just fine. But that is c-16 eats stuff up after a while. just might be it..
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

I would say it is worse in lower gears.