Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Stock Turbo E85 Tuning

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2007, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock Turbo E85 Tuning

The E85 buzz has started to get pretty crazy over here. Martin has been running it in his evo and ever since I have always wondered what a stock turbo Evo would do on this lovely Corn mix.

Over the past few months we have been soaking several components of the fuel system to test how they react to E85 and its potentially corrosive effects. Chris just recently pulled these pieces to check for Wear, breakdown, swelling and general decomposition. The results came back good so we decided to toss it in my car for a real world test. I drive my car daily so it was important to us that we have it used day in and day out for testing. I was very pleased with the results.

The car has currently the following for modifications:

AMS Turbo Back exhuast
AMS Front Mount IC
AMS MBC
AMS LICP
Blitz drop in filter with the stock airbox
GSC Stage 1 cams
AMS 880CC injectors
Walbro Fuel Pump

Pretty basic power mods.

I like to road race my car so torque was the most important thing to me, It had to be safe and it had to make good low end power. The results were GREAT!

Now the E85 was acting more like E70 so I think I might of gotten a winter blend at the station i went to. We got the gas late march so thats pretty likely. but you cant argue with close to 380 ft/lbs of torque on the stock turbo.

boost Spikes to 28 psi and falls to about 21 near redline, as expected with the stock turbo. A better actuator and or controller might make that taper less aggressive but again, I use it for road racing so a conservative tune is very important to me.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; May 4, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old May 4, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice numbers, so the stock sending unit and fuel pump exc are ok with E85?
Old May 4, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you using the stock injectors?
Old May 4, 2007, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

no, I completely forgot to add what I put in the other night. 880CC injectors and a walbro

Eric
Old May 4, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

can see the graph
Old May 4, 2007, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05graphiteMR
can see the graph
works fine for me.

Eric
Old May 4, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

I have pretty much the same exact mods down to the cams and I was going to pick up a set of 780cc injectors. The 780s would put me at 40% over stock, but I am overrunning the stock injectors on 25 psi tapering to 22. What are your duty cycles on the 880s? And about how many miles to the tank are you seeing in daily city/higway stuff? I would like to run the E85, but we don't have as many stations selling it in OH and I might have trouble finding it near my local road courses.
Old May 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

well I just put it in last night so you have to give me a little while to research MPG.

We are close to maxing out the 880's. I would of gone 1000's but I didnt want to have any driveability issues with the stock ECU.

Eric
Old May 4, 2007, 09:14 AM

That guy in the front seat looks familiar? Oh yeah, he tuned my car last Saturday. I always thought that stock injectors were fine for the stock turbo. If I would have know that, I would have put in some 720's or 880's myself.

Looks good. Keep up the great work AMS.

Jason
Old May 4, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

So with the E85 its more or less running a cheaper race gas, right?

Although you benefit from the inital lower cost of the fuel and ability to run more boost. The draw backs are that not only does E85 naturally burn faster, but you have to nearly double the injector to supply enough fuel to maintain a safe a/f ratio. And can you play with timing more to increase power, or just throw more boost at it. Cause i know that Torco stuff that Benji brought in, only allowed him to increase the boost but there really wasnt room to play with the timing safley.

Im just curious cause I intend to road race my evo as well and want to keep a conservative tune. But im not quite sure im ready to leave the ever so available 93! lol, But you cant argue with the numbers! Eric we might have to do alittle cruising on i290 during or after the Swap Meet!
Old May 4, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
well I just put it in last night so you have to give me a little while to research MPG.

We are close to maxing out the 880's. I would of gone 1000's but I didnt want to have any driveability issues with the stock ECU.

Eric
Do you scale the injectors cc/min back in the ECU 30% or do you put in the actual size?
Old May 4, 2007, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Nice numbers Eric, Good ol Chris black doing what he does best , When i get my full tune im making sure Chris does it.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Since when did a header fall under turbo back

Scorke
Old May 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
That guy in the front seat looks familiar? Oh yeah, he tuned my car last Saturday. I always thought that stock injectors were fine for the stock turbo. If I would have know that, I would have put in some 720's or 880's myself.

Looks good. Keep up the great work AMS.

Jason
Ethanol needs a different air-fuel-ratio (much richer). In other words, it makes good power, but your gas mileage will take a noticeable hit, since you have to burn more of it. If you plan on running E-85, then you will need to upgrade the fuel system (i.e., bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors).

I'm afraid to ask what a fully built 50 trim setup would require to run E-85...

Gonna be a pretty even match up at the next track day if you show up with E-85 in the tank, Eric.

l8r)
Old May 4, 2007, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scorke
Since when did a header fall under turbo back

Scorke
That is a stock turbo header we made for testing. It made no additional HP, TQ or quicker spool. IT would be the same as a stock unit which is why I did not include it in the mod list. Also it was on for the base line test as well.

Eric

Quick Reply: Stock Turbo E85 Tuning