Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

cam install and tune

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The difference in the cam install is not just an extra cap to remove. There is a second cam position sensor that needs to be swapped on the 9. The design of the MIVEC gear makes it difficult to remove without having the exhaust cam gear also off. This makes it especially important to be careful when swapping as the belt can move on the oil pump or crank pulley. The cap on the MIVEC gear keeps oil inside the mechanism and when removed spills oil all over. You have to be prepared with rags to catch the oil and clean up that mess when done. You also have to be very careful when reinstalling the MIVEC cam gear to get the pin lined up correctly in the gear. You cant see the pin or the hole in the gear so you kind of have to do this by feel.

Basically, the 9 cam swaps suck. LOL
Old Aug 5, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

I think I'm going to have to make an appt to come down to AMS and get a tune as well.

I went to get a tune after my cams were installed and I made 0 WHP Gain and +10Tq over my previous tune. We took off the cam gear cover, set the crank at BTDC and the cam gears lined up TDC. Also pulled off the valve cover and made sure that everything looked alright, which it did.

The guy who tuned my car said that EvoScan keeps logging numbers which are inconsistant with the numbers showing up on my maps. He also mentioned that my fuel is maxed out down low and we can't get the AFRs to run any richer than 12:1. I don't know how my fuel can be maxed out if I'm running a Walbro 255 with stocker injectors and my mods.

Anyways he basically said that my car is logging timing from out of no where and he would need to research it more. For now I'm running a real ugly tune and I make no more power than I did with the stock cams.

Mod list is in my sig and I'm making around 300 WHP and 280-290ish tq on 92 octane. The dyno is also a mustang dyno. Something is definitly wrong.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Qatar_Evo
cams install the price i know 300 to 500

and flash is about 400$ but that will be in the best shop ever so it can be for 200$ or around
umm sean ivey quoted me 450 on the phone?!? i know hes a really good tuner but for this price imma be going to dynoflash Al for half the price.. yeah his customer service isnt top notch but for 200 dollars cheaper, i could live without it
Old Aug 6, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Itchy
umm sean ivey quoted me 450 on the phone?!? i know hes a really good tuner but for this price imma be going to dynoflash Al for half the price.. yeah his customer service isnt top notch but for 200 dollars cheaper, i could live without it
They are talking about Full Custom Dyno Tune, Al charges about the same tune+dyno time.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

if you have springs and retainers installed with the cams and take the head off do you have to replace the gaskets?