Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS project 07 STI Small bolt ons, HUGE GAINS!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by funevo
Nice gains, but looks like the TQ falls off quickly. Shouldnt the 2.5 hold that TQ better?
Originally Posted by Blue04
The power falls off like that b/c of the smaller turbo. Its pretty simple

Funevo, its the same as if you stroke an EVO to 2.3L on the stock turbo. Boost will drop harder, torque will decrease harder. Here you have smaller than EVO turbo on a bigger motor. Thats why it makes big initial torque that falls hard.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsxtremedsm
Impressive numbers, I do like the 07's more and more. Still, we have seen plenty of IX's making 330+whp and similiar torque with just a TBE, intake, boost controller, and tune... So its not that crazy....

Good job.
You might of seen dyno graphs that say the torque is higher but keep in mind that we are comparing these to our dyno here. We have NEVER seen an evo VIII or an IX on pump gas and the stock turbo kit anywere near this Torque number. Again im not downing on the EVO's at all but when you compare numbers like this you have to do it on the same dyno.

Power does fall off but that is function of the turbo. keep in mind that STI's have the bigger motor but they have a smaller stock turbo then an EVO

Eric
Old Sep 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Is there any video of a subaru with vibrant exhaust?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 07 sti's are freaks if i were doing it again that is what i would get
Old Sep 5, 2007, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
I think those are great PEAK numbers and great PEAK torque. This would make an excellent auto-x car for sure.

However, for drag racing, the power looks to be pretty weak dont you think? Its making peak power at 5500RPM then falling off hard and is only making roughly 280whp at 7000RPM. If you launch the car and never go below 5500rpm, you wont even be getting near 300whp.

EDIT, I was going to add what the guy said above. We have seen similar if not better power from IX's with very similar mods. However, the IX's power doesnt fall dramatically after 5500RPM like the STi's.

i agree... torque doesnt matter in this case... its completely useless actually...

im sure it would be a very fun daily driver or any type of racing that requires lifting off the gas.

Cheers!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Why would they put a smaller turbo that an Evo when its got 500 more CCs of engine?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is a great comparison guys.

This is my evo with the following mods compared to my STi

2006 EVO IX SE
Boost: spikes to 23 drops very quickly after that
AF: low 11's

AMS Turbo Back exhuast
AMS FMIC
AMS LICP
Blitz panel filter
AMS MBC
GSC 272 exhuast cam (back when the IX cams were not out yet)
Megan O2 housing
AMS Flash

You can see where the bigger turbo comes into play on the evo. It tapers off as well but not nearly as bad as the STi. Torque is leaps above the EVO though. In the future I plan on putting an FP green on it until we get our turbo kit established.

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Sep 7, 2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:04 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

If the STi only had a slightly larger turbo

The EVO holds the cards when it comes to drag racing and top end power. The larger turbo definitely hold power better up top. We'll be playing around with some other turbo's to see how they work on the STi, like the EVO 16G & 18G's.

We've tuned a few '07's and from what we see there is not some huge difference in power on the newer to older STi's. Our shop STi is a freak if anything, that thing makes ridiculous power!

Guys, we're not putting down the EVO at all, we're just showing the potential of the Suby. Having taken a closer look at the internals of the EJ25 shows big potential for HP, I'm just confused why Subaru paired a short stroke, big bore block, with good heads and a tiny turbo & long runner small plenum intake manifold. It seems like the recipe for a great high rpm motor choked down by intake & exhaust.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

the sti has no top end though. Plus there are tons of evos makin 340+ with tune and ebay exhaust on pump gas.

My friend:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=267392

On the other hand the sti does make tons mor torque, which would make it a fun drive.

Last edited by Vishnu_Evo8; Sep 5, 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about all the 07's I keep reading about on Nastysack (nasioc) blowing their motors and how crappy the oem tune is on the 07s?? I guess it knocks really bad in the low end and still has boost spike problems. Seems like no one is modding their 07's very much from what I read.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMS
If the STi only had a slightly larger turbo

The EVO holds the cards when it comes to drag racing and top end power. The larger turbo definitely hold power better up top. We'll be playing around with some other turbo's to see how they work on the STi, like the EVO 16G & 18G's.

We've tuned a few '07's and from what we see there is not some huge difference in power on the newer to older STi's. Our shop STi is a freak if anything, that thing makes ridiculous power!

Guys, we're not putting down the EVO at all, we're just showing the potential of the Suby. Having taken a closer look at the internals of the EJ25 shows big potential for HP, I'm just confused why Subaru paired a short stroke, big bore block, with good heads and a tiny turbo & long runner small plenum intake manifold. It seems like the recipe for a great high rpm motor choked down by intake & exhaust.
But Eric did compare it to a AMS stage 1 Evo IX in one of his post. Which I believe only consist of a boost controller, tune, and catback. Not a really good comparison when one car has a down pipe and the other doesn't.

Sure STI's are great cars. They spool fast and have good low end torque. But I rather stick with my IX over the 07 STI. The STI's rear end is way to happy @ high speeds, and the limit of room and head space the STI has makes me like my IX better.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:33 PM
Former Sponsor

I am not comparing it to a stage 1, I am comparing it to almost a stage III Evo. Its just an intake cam shy of being that.

I loved my evo and was honestly sorry to see it go but for the good of the shop we needed some test cars.

There is no need to be sensitive here guys, we were just posting up some results on a really stout car. The EVO is a great car as is the STI. As I posted earlier the STI makes great torque but the evo is killing it in HP as the graph tells. Now the EVO is more modded but that stock STI turbo doesnt have much more left in it.

Eric
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Lets see some pics with mods!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome gains Eric, I bet that thing is gonna be fun in the snow once the winter hits, j/k keep it safe!!!

Congrats to Martin and Chris for extracting these amazing numbers on the 07 STi with some basic mods!!!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

These probably the most HP gain ive seen from a IHE in any car.

Very impressive, and amazing.

Quick Reply: AMS project 07 STI Small bolt ons, HUGE GAINS!