Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS project 07 STI Small bolt ons, HUGE GAINS!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Last night Chris and Martin over here at AMS were finally able to get my 07 on the dyno for some testing. The car had made some decent power in stock form but we really wanted to see what our new bolt ons did and how well it would react to a good AMS Tune. The results were GREAT!

The car in stock form made a peak of 252 WHP and 266 Ft/lbs of torque. About on par with a stock EVO IX here.

We then added our stage package which consists of a Vibrant Catback and Turbo XS downpipe along with an AEM Cold Air intake.

Lastly I threw on the vibrant tubular Exhuast manifold.

The gains were REMARKABLE. Peak numbers were 320 WHP and 357 ft/lbs of torque with an astonishing 100+ ft/lbs of Torque gained at the heart of the power band!She also picked up over 80 whp right in the middle of the powerband!

Vehicle: 2007 Subaru Sti
Boost: Spiking to 21 and tapering off quickly after
A/F: Low 11's

Mods:

AMS Flash
AMS Boost controller
Turbo XS Downpipe
AMS adapter pipe
Vibrant Catback
AEM Cold Air Intake

And here is the graph. I still smile when I look at the jump from just some basic mods. This is roughly the HP our stage II package would do to an EVO IX for more then twice the price and about 30 less Ft/lbs of torque. STI FTW!

I am going to have them tune it on 100 octane and take it to the track to see what she can do in the quarter, then dial it down and take her to autobahn for some turning the wheel kind of racing

Eric

I'm sorry Eric and AMS, I have mad respect for your company, but the STI I hate with a mad passion. So when I see BS spilled out especially with the STI, I have to correct. First thing first, STI FTW, never ever is a STI FTW Puhhhlease I know you own a STI now, but please don't become like them and start spooling up bullsh*t. Those are nice numbers and probably one of the strongest STI's you've dynoed so props, but as you have already stated the average is lower and you have dynoed some very powerful IXs, so for fair comparison compare apples to apples. Also twice the price for stage II, last time I checked (5 mins ago) on your website the stage II package was $1,300 so you got all those parts on the STI for $650, I mean wow and I thought the Vibrant Catback a lone was like $500+. Also even if the 07 STI and EVO IX were making somewhat similiar horsepower with a few bolt ons, the STI stock turbo is already pretty much done with those mods, even 100 octane won't yield you huge gains. While the EVO stock turbo is just starting to wake up. Sorry STI never FTW, ok I'll take that back the STI may come out on top on some situations, but it's not because the STI won it, it's because the EVO lost it.

I guess there is new type of racing coming out for the 07 Cars such as the STI and 335i, it's called dyno slip racing. The point is to try to scare your opponent with dyno numbers and hope they back down. Never mind that the 07 STI struggles to hit mid 12s and the 335i just can't seem to trap higher than 110mph, the dyno slips will get you. Thank god it's almost 2008 and there will be a new EVO.

Last edited by 3000ways; Sep 9, 2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1312689
22k hits on that one... its several pages deep but everyone chimes in on their low compression and blown pistons.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1116946&page=2
This is the one for the low rpm bogging, 50k+ hits on this thread
Whoa, thanks for these. 4G63 FTW, I guess.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

^ No, no lol 4G63 FTMFW
Old Sep 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Why did the power fall off like that? Nice numbers though. That power comes on quick. I bet it feels like a rocket from the line!
Old Sep 9, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

not bad for a subbie
Old Sep 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

why are you guys stressing? if you know how to read a dyno graph you will see the evo is not really threatened at all....the STi with 500cc more makes more PEAK torque and maybe nearly as much PEAK horse power...but look at the power/torque curve difference between the 2 and you will see that the Evo still has much more area under the curve up top...

if 07 Sti is ftw, the Evo IX is ftmfw

serioulsy though the 07 Sti is a great beast, i'd love to drive an AWD car with that much torque, must be fun as hell!!!!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 3000ways
I'm sorry Eric and AMS, I have mad respect for your company, but the STI I hate with a mad passion. So when I see BS spilled out especially with the STI, I have to correct. First thing first, STI FTW, never ever is a STI FTW Puhhhlease I know you own a STI now, but please don't become like them and start spooling up bullsh*t. Those are nice numbers and probably one of the strongest STI's you've dynoed so props, but as you have already stated the average is lower and you have dynoed some very powerful IXs, so for fair comparison compare apples to apples. Also twice the price for stage II, last time I checked (5 mins ago) on your website the stage II package was $1,300 so you got all those parts on the STI for $650, I mean wow and I thought the Vibrant Catback a lone was like $500+. Also even if the 07 STI and EVO IX were making somewhat similiar horsepower with a few bolt ons, the STI stock turbo is already pretty much done with those mods, even 100 octane won't yield you huge gains. While the EVO stock turbo is just starting to wake up. Sorry STI never FTW, ok I'll take that back the STI may come out on top on some situations, but it's not because the STI won it, it's because the EVO lost it.

I guess there is new type of racing coming out for the 07 Cars such as the STI and 335i, it's called dyno slip racing. The point is to try to scare your opponent with dyno numbers and hope they back down. Never mind that the 07 STI struggles to hit mid 12s and the 335i just can't seem to trap higher than 110mph, the dyno slips will get you. Thank god it's almost 2008 and there will be a new EVO.
WOW

Lexapro, Buspar.....all acceptable solutions.

Last edited by Blue04; Sep 10, 2007 at 06:57 AM. Reason: 3000ways is psycho
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blue04
WOW

Lexapro, Buspar.....all acceptable solutions.
+1

also..
Also twice the price for stage II, last time I checked (5 mins ago) on your website the stage II package was $1,300 so you got all those parts on the STI for $650, I mean wow and I thought the Vibrant Catback a lone was like $500+
In order to get stage II you have to get stage I....because they are STAGED. A stage II car has stages I and II!!!

So those two stages equal about $2,550 divided in half and thats $1,275 dollars to spend, not $650. I think that buys you a little bit more than a vibrant catback.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, you are just a little bit sensitive. Is this graph threatening or something? I just don't understand all this animosity towards a dyno chart. We are working on several cars not just the STI. The EVO is a great vehicle and nowhere in this post or ANY OTHER do we say anything otherwise. Why can't this just be a post about a nice car? I don't see why it has to turn into this. We are all in this for the same thing, we like cars. A little friendly competition is healthy.

As someone has already stated our staged packages are building blocks, you cannot have one without the one prior to that. So you would need to add the price of stage one and stage II. In the sti in parts right now I have about $1600.00 so Its not quite half of stage II but its not too far off.

We have tuned alot of EVO's and we have some seen some really strong ones. I can tell you that we have never seen one make this much Torque on pump gas with the stock turbo. This is to be expected though as we are working with an engine that has half a liter more displacement. As we also stated prior in this post is that in a drag race the Stage II evo would more then likely win due to the extra HP that is carried up top. On a road course however that extra torque would give the STI an advantage depending on the track.

As far as the Stock turbo goes you are right, the STI stock turbo is tiny and on pump gas it is close to its limit, but thats why we are doing this... to find out. On 100 octane though it does have a bit more left in it. If i remember correctly (going off memory) our shop 05 STI did over 400 ft lbs of torque and over 350 whp.

Our numbers of this car are not really on the high side. We have tuned quite a few in the past months and most are on par with what my car did.

The EVO is a great car and in many ways has the upper hand over the STI. The Top mount on the STI stinks and the FMIC of the EVO is far superior. The turbo on the evo is also much bigger then the Scant STI unit as can be seen on the dyno comparison. The iron block of the 4G63 is hard to beat with any other 4cyl. These are just a few off the top of my head.

In the end we are all car guys and we thought you guys might find it interesting what ams can do with cars from the other side. If this post bothered anyone in anyway or if I came off too strong I apologize, I was just proud of what we did with another car here at AMS.

Eric
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

I think its great that you guys are trying other cars and i think its even cooler that you post it up here i mean some people are crying and quick to pick out the flaws of another car. but thats how its gonna be. but im in for more info keep up the good work
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

cant everyone get along?....lets just say the new sti is better tehn past sti's...good work eric
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

I would like to see what ams could get out of the cosworth block and heads.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOL2003
cant everyone get along?....lets just say the new sti is better tehn past sti's...good work eric
Im saying the exact opposite of that. For a top tuner like AMS its no issue because they can tune it correctly. For the average Joe who buys an 07 though, I feel bad for him.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

i guess you can't be proud of your car or your hard work anymore. good job eric.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

i am impressed and i own a evo 9 mr. nothing to be ashamed of.

Quick Reply: AMS project 07 STI Small bolt ons, HUGE GAINS!