Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS recommended driveline fluids....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some evos- mainly the ones that have higher mileage and are used to stock fluids do NOT like redline fluids

Look at my old posts, i had a big problem with my rear differential binding up after having AMS put in redline fluid. They swear by it- put it in their race and TA car....but those cars see 3-5 mile spurts at most, and do not see the daily driving most of ours do.

I didnt think the redline was the culprit at first, until two or three evoM members popped into my thread and said they experienced the SAME problems.

Its JUST SOME CARS that do NOT like redline fluds, i am NOT saying there is any foul play on AMSs part. They are just recommendeing something they use themselves- and its not guaranteed your car will react the same as theirs.

And mine definately did not!

I tried putting in a friction modifier....didnt work

I tried putting in another friction modifier with new redline.....didnt work...made it worse...(i think the first time there was still a lil of the 'good' stock fluid left dilluting the redline a lil)

I tried changing the fluid with MObil1 .......AND THE BINDING STARTED TO STOP!

I changed the fluid again with mobil 1 (to get all the redline out) and the binding completely stopped!

Look up pictures of redline ....i think a friend of mine posted up his fludi.......IT WAS SCARY....IT WAS A FOAM CONSISTENCY when he drained it! IT took him like 5 flushes of new fluid and he STILL has red blobs of foam in it.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by red evo8
they are in fact only recomendations , no on put a gun to your head and ya they do know alot about evos, but mitsu knows a thing or two themselves that's why they have fluids for the car at mitsu....don't be ignorant
First of all learn proper grammar and learn to type please. Especially if you are trying to get a point across.. Second of all how am I being ignorant? I clearly stated that I only blame myself but question AMS as to why they recommended in the first place. Plain and simple!

After all I am a customer and will continue to be....
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RED DEMON
Some evos- mainly the ones that have higher mileage and are used to stock fluids do NOT like redline fluids

Look at my old posts, i had a big problem with my rear differential binding up after having AMS put in redline fluid. They swear by it- put it in their race and TA car....but those cars see 3-5 mile spurts at most, and do not see the daily driving most of ours do.

I didnt think the redline was the culprit at first, until two or three evoM members popped into my thread and said they experienced the SAME problems.

Its JUST SOME CARS that do NOT like redline fluds, i am NOT saying there is any foul play on AMSs part. They are just recommendeing something they use themselves- and its not guaranteed your car will react the same as theirs.

And mine definately did not!

I tried putting in a friction modifier....didnt work

I tried putting in another friction modifier with new redline.....didnt work...made it worse...(i think the first time there was still a lil of the 'good' stock fluid left dilluting the redline a lil)

I tried changing the fluid with MObil1 .......AND THE BINDING STARTED TO STOP!

I changed the fluid again with mobil 1 (to get all the redline out) and the binding completely stopped!

Look up pictures of redline ....i think a friend of mine posted up his fludi.......IT WAS SCARY....IT WAS A FOAM CONSISTENCY when he drained it! IT took him like 5 flushes of new fluid and he STILL has red blobs of foam in it.
Yeah I understand. My car was purchased new in December of 2005 so it's only 2 years old with 25,000 miles. It's not an old car by any means but I completely understnad you point. I just hope I can somehow flush it out. I wonder if AMS can do this? A proper flush should get all of it out.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Well that's exactly my point. Why is AMS recommending these fluids in t/c's??? I'm sure some people do fine with it but if there is even a slight percentage of t/c's going out because of the stuff then why recommend it to customers? Am I missing something? I use my car to drive to and from work, the only thing that puts a smile on my face is being able to take a spirited corner here and there and being able to feel the power up until 3rd gear. I don't use my car to autoX and I've taken it to the drag strip once and ran three times. That's the most abuse the cae has ever received! I just like the power of the stock car and I bought catback so I can hear a nice tone, that's it!

I feel like I paying for another persons mistakes, however in the end I only blame myself. I'm thinking about purchasing some diaqueen and putting it in there and driving it for another few thousand miles to see if the sound goes away. If it does then I should be good. If it doesn't then I may be able to bring it to the dealer since the factory fluids are now in it. I bought the car in Wisconsin and that's where I take it all the time for service. My question is will Mitsu be able to tell there was other than diaqueen in it at some point in time?

Where in wisconsin did you buy the car? what color and year is it? Know who you bought it from? Does it have a ralliart LSD? it an 03?

What dealer do you take it to in Wisco? there are some mod friendly dealers- and some VERY not mod friendly- IE they will void your warranty on the spot for like a effin JDM BOV or asthetic mods (visual/appearance mods).
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:31 PM

TURN UP THE RADIO!!!!

Cars react differently to the same type of fluids. It is what it is. I would just leave the t-case if i were you, unless you do want to change back to the OEM Diaqueen. Either are fine. As far as the whine, just leave it alone untill the diff breaks. Either way your gonna have to yank it out. Mine has been whining for about 7 months now. still going strong. but its all up to you.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^ wow..... "Turn up the radio" ... I don't even know what to say to this response...

dude.. just get it COMPLETELY flushed out like I told you to do.. and put the OEM good stuff in it.. and see how it runs after that!

Good luck bro!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

In Puerto Rico most local shops use Redline for TC and rear diff, that what Colo(the guy that works on my tranny) recommended and thats what he uses in some of the fastest EVOs, I havent heard any bad things about it. I know everyone in EvoM paranoid about changing the fluids, but after 5 month a lot of things can happen, take the car back to AMS and let them take a look at it.

Also, I have a whine too in my TC for the last year and a half or more, after many miles and many 10 second passes at the track, I am not worried anymore.

But seriously, take the car back to them and explain the situation.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I will. Thanks for all the advice guys!

I would still like to hear AMS chime in though....
Old Dec 4, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have known people to use Redline products and have notchy shifting and TC whine. I would either use stock Mitsu products or what has worked for me is Pennzoil Synchromesh in the trans and Mobil 1 in the TC/Differential.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

i have used redline many times, and it seems like it breaks down quickly. That is just from my experiences. would love to have it tested...
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
we have used redline fluids for years. I hate to break it to you guys but the mitsu fluid is nothing special its just rebadged with a mitsubishi logo on it. Some cars do react a bit different then others. Some T-cases whine while others don't and there is no real reason as to why. Some will whine forever with no signs of wear or anything. You can try putting in the thinner diaqueen but the redline fluid does offer more protection. The thinner Diaqueen might make the whine go away.

Oh and the shop time attack car has almost 3000 TRACK MILES on the car. I think its safe to say its seeing more abuse then any daily driver. The transfer case is as healthy as can be.

Let us know if you need any help. If you needed to Im sure we could get you in and swap in a lighter weight fluid for you.

Eric
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

I just wanna know why you didn't CALL AMS first before this post. I will tell you from first hand experience that AMS is NOT a company that will tell a customer, "sorry buddy, sucks to be you." They have some of the best customer service I've dealt with not just with performance shops, but with any company. Makin a post about your issue to try to get people to place blame then askin for AMS to chime in is just not cool. A simple call to AMS explaining the situation would have remedied your situation in no time. In the future, don't do business like this.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LetItBreath
I just wanna know why you didn't CALL AMS first before this post. I will tell you from first hand experience that AMS is NOT a company that will tell a customer, "sorry buddy, sucks to be you." They have some of the best customer service I've dealt with not just with performance shops, but with any company. Makin a post about your issue to try to get people to place blame then askin for AMS to chime in is just not cool. A simple call to AMS explaining the situation would have remedied your situation in no time. In the future, don't do business like this.
I don't see anything wrong with the original post. He wasn't attacking AMS or anything. In fact, he stated that he will continue to be a customer. He was just trying to get other opinions is all.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry if I came across as blaming AMS. I wouldn't blame AMS even if they put tranny fluid in the t/c and told me it's ok. I would only blame myself for being so nieve. I wouldn't trust any other shop out their but AMS. As far as warranty work goes I bring it to the dealer (because I have to), everything else is AMS territory.

I started a thread like this because this exactly what it's here for!!! I could have just posted it in Evo General. This is AMS's own personal forum...

Anyways on a side note everyone has brought up some interesting points. I'm not opposed to redline in my t/c or rear diff. But I wonder if the cold weather has any ill effects on it since it has a much thicker consistency. In the summer it seemed to be fine but now it's is more noisy since the cold weather arrived.

To AMS.. Do you think that someone can take it for a drive that knows what to look for? It will create the sound each and everytime. Also if I do in fact swap out the fluids is there a way you guys can clush the t/c and rear diff. before putting the oem in?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Give us a call at the shop and we'll get you scheduled in quickly. We'll test drive it at no charge to you and try to determine if the whine is in fact from the transfer case. We'll help you weigh your options at that point. Thank you.

Quick Reply: AMS recommended driveline fluids....