Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS recommended driveline fluids....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well? wha happen
Old Dec 7, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I personally like to deal with Santiago. Everyone at AMS is nice but I think Santiago has the friendliest personality. Just my opinion
I agree.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Ok I thought i'd post an update. I went to AMS yesterday. Their new shop is actually a little closer to me than their old shop and I live in Hoffman Estates. First off all I can say is that their new shop is extremely nice and much larger than the old one!

Anyways I brought the car in and they test drove it and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, said it's not the t-case. I have pretty sensitive hearing and I can pinpoint sounds that were not their before which now leads me to believe it's my winter tires making the noise. I had them change the fluid anyways because it was close to that time again. The technician called me into the shop (which I felt honored to be able to see the new shop for myself ) and showed me both drain plugs from the rear diff. and the t/c. Both plugs were absolutely clean so the t/c is perfectly fine, made me feel much better!

However when they drained the tranny fluid the plug has some normal shavings but it also had a few small chunks probably due to misshifts. I'm glad he showed me all the plugs but the tranny plug is going to make me change my driving style. I sometimes get a 3rd gear grind which I force in from time to time which I won't do anymore. The evo has a tricky tranmissions and sometimes you just have to be patient and not force it. (Learned my lesson!)

I had them put the Diaqueen in the t/c and rear diff. I think this will be better for me in regards to warranty purposes but I have nothing against Redline. There is too many horror stories of redline fluids in the t/c but it has nothing to do with the fluid (unless it the wrong fluid) it's driver error. The redline that was drained out was still thick in consistency and bright red in color so it does not break down as people say it does. You just need to use the right combo. If Mitsu wasn't so **** about fluids I would have left it in there.

I was at the shop for about an 2.5 hours which would have sucked in their old shop but the new shop has nice leather chairs and large flat screen tv with some good old racing videos playing. I was actually quite entertained for the entire time I was their!

I just want to say that Santiago, you have excellent customer service skills and really know how to make someone feel like home. Thanks again to AMS they have pulled through as always and made the customer 100 times happier! I will be back in the future!
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

i like ams and plan do do all ams upgrades but they live so far away from me... not like major i guess.. but i will probably just get bolt on and when i plan to do more just take a road trip// chicago is the only shop in usa?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Winter tires as in snow tires? You bonehead. JKM
Old Dec 8, 2007, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah well I thought Advans were supposed to be the loudest tires out there. I ran Hankook Icebears last summer and they were by far the best snow tires for the buck and they were damn quiet too. I sold that set earlier this year and bought a set of snow tires in better shape and they already had Continental WinterContacts on them with less than 2000 miles. THe tread design is similar to the Hankooks but apparently they are much louder! Funny thing is that they are a dedicated snow tire but they are not rated with the snowflake symbol while the Hankook's were. Weird....

Hey atleaast it's not my t/c!
Old Dec 8, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad it wasn't the TC. I wouldn't use anything else than the Diaqueen in a stock TC/Rear Diff.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
First of all learn proper grammar and learn to type please. Especially if you are trying to get a point across.. Second of all how am I being ignorant? I clearly stated that I only blame myself but question AMS as to why they recommended in the first place. Plain and simple!

After all I am a customer and will continue to be....
lol ya well actually you said you don't know who you should be mad at read your first post.

Last edited by red evo8; Dec 8, 2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
How much is the fluid change for the t/c, rear diff and trans? Does anyone know how much just the fluids are from Mitsubishi?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
How much is the fluid change for the t/c, rear diff and trans? Does anyone know how much just the fluids are from Mitsubishi?
I paid $69 for a 4 liter jug of Diaqueen LSD gear oil from the dealer. From the looks of the jug and what's left it will change the t/c and rear differential twice through.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

So if the T/C was fine, why didn't you just run the same fluids again? I'm not understanding why after having AMS check it out that it didn't dispel your analism (a word I made up). I would have just stuck with what was already in there since it wasn't causing any issues in the first place.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

what about trans fluid?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

i use redline in my car for the last half year and have used it in my tranny and t-case and haven't had any problems with it....I actually love it!
Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

so the trans, transfer case and both front and rear diffs us the same fluid?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
So if the T/C was fine, why didn't you just run the same fluids again? I'm not understanding why after having AMS check it out that it didn't dispel your analism (a word I made up). I would have just stuck with what was already in there since it wasn't causing any issues in the first place.
You obviously didn't read my previous posts so here I go once again...... (This actually might be the third time i'm saying it.)

It was due a fluid change anyways and since my car is basically stock I am trying to keep my warranty. I have a good relationship with my dealer and everything that is on my car is dealer friendly. I didn't realize until after the fact that what was in my t/c and rear diff. will void my warranty if either the t/c or rear diff. goes out. I'd rather have it repalced for free if it does happen to ever break....knock on wood.

I did have them put Redline MT-90 in the tranny because it is 75w-90 GL-4, exactly what Mitsu calls for.

Quick Reply: AMS recommended driveline fluids....