Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS recommended driveline fluids....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
so the trans, transfer case and both front and rear diffs us the same fluid?
No...The t/c and rear diff. use the Diaqueen or HW shockproof, whichever you prefer and the transmission uses transmission fluid, like MT-90....
Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

The dealership CANNOT void your warranty over fluids. Moss + Magnuson Act. I understand now, but still its all good. I'm doing Diaqueen in my T/C and Diff. Not sure what I want to use in the Tranny though as the dealership tried to argue with me that it REQUIRES 80w90 when I told them I can use MT-90 which like you said is 75w90.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
The dealership CANNOT void your warranty over fluids. Moss + Magnuson Act. I understand now, but still its all good. I'm doing Diaqueen in my T/C and Diff. Not sure what I want to use in the Tranny though as the dealership tried to argue with me that it REQUIRES 80w90.
I think I also said this before. Your right they cannot void your warranty for not using stock fluids as long as those fluids meet the manufacturers specifications. HW shockproof and LW shockproof have very vague labels and they do not have a GL-4 or GL-5 rating. Although the HW from what I was told is actually similar to a GL-5 but just not rated that way.

If you look at the owners manual it states 75w-90 or 80w-90...It's a preference.

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Dec 8, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

I think somebody owes AMS an apology.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
The dealership CANNOT void your warranty over fluids. Moss + Magnuson Act. I understand now, but still its all good. I'm doing Diaqueen in my T/C and Diff. Not sure what I want to use in the Tranny though as the dealership tried to argue with me that it REQUIRES 80w90 when I told them I can use MT-90 which like you said is 75w90.
Yea technically they cannot but they will anyway. And what are you gonna do take em to court.....you'll spend more money and time in the long run.

sorry that was OT, but Ive seen that done nonetheless.

I use Redline in the tranny and Diaqueen elsewhere.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

O yea my t-case used to whine like a sob after ams put redline in it when they did my clutch, but it didn't harm anything....
Old Jan 1, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

first hand experience... the dealership CAN AND WILL void your warranty over fluids, came in for tcase problems, they saw i had redline fluids, voided my warranty and i tried to fight it but lost .
Old Jan 1, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

They would have found a reason anyway you just made it easier for them.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
we have used redline fluids for years. I hate to break it to you guys but the mitsu fluid is nothing special its just rebadged with a mitsubishi logo on it. Some cars do react a bit different then others. Some T-cases whine while others don't and there is no real reason as to why. Some will whine forever with no signs of wear or anything. You can try putting in the thinner diaqueen but the redline fluid does offer more protection. The thinner Diaqueen might make the whine go away.

Oh and the shop time attack car has almost 3000 TRACK MILES on the car. I think its safe to say its seeing more abuse then any daily driver. The transfer case is as healthy as can be.

Let us know if you need any help. If you needed to Im sure we could get you in and swap in a lighter weight fluid for you.

Eric
AMS recommended me to put redline in also and I have had no problems what so ever (going 8 months or so). I also call Shep trans up and ask them they told me it was fine and that actually it was over kill for my car (meaning better than stock but not needed).
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i put in redline shockproof in the rear diff, noticed my rear diff was binding when making low speed turns. Talked to Tim at AMS, he said to put in LSD additive and should go away. I switched back to stock since I had some laying around and couldn't source the lsd additive, and the binding went away. I agree with Eric, some cars act different than others, I have used redline in the rear diff before with good results, just for some reason my daily driver didn't like it
Old Jan 2, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fimotorsports
i put in redline shockproof in the rear diff, noticed my rear diff was binding when making low speed turns. Talked to Tim at AMS, he said to put in LSD additive and should go away. I switched back to stock since I had some laying around and couldn't source the lsd additive, and the binding went away. I agree with Eric, some cars act different than others, I have used redline in the rear diff before with good results, just for some reason my daily driver didn't like it
I recently had the same problems. I think mainly since I moved back to the cold. The binding in the rear end went away when I switched back to the Diaqueen.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 07:27 PM

Is the binding bad for the rear diff? Or is it more of a daily driver type of annoyance and not really harmful to the clutches and what not?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xXxJIGGAxXx
Is the binding bad for the rear diff? Or is it more of a daily driver type of annoyance and not really harmful to the clutches and what not?
it can't be a good thing. It almost sounds like there is no fluid in the rear diff.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Any GM dealer will have the stuff you only need an ounce or 2 and it works as soon as you add it.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:01 PM

This works great in the Trans: Yes it is GL-4 I have used it for 4 years with no issues.
NISSAN Manual Transmission Fluid
NISSAN Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF). NISSAN HQ Multi 75W-85. Use where NISSAN 75W-85 MTF is required in NISSAN, INFINITI, and other make vehicles. Check your vehicle's operator's manual for manufacturer's service recommendations. SHIPS UPS GROUND ONLY. IF ANY OTHER METHOD IS CHOSEN, ORDER WILL BE CANCELLED.
Click the large image for a more detailed view.
http://www.mynismo.com/images_products/3919.jpg

Part No. Application Weight Price
999MP-MTF00P ALL 75W-85 $7.50

Last edited by RIKKER; Jan 6, 2008 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: AMS recommended driveline fluids....