Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS recommended driveline fluids....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS recommended driveline fluids....

Ok so about 5 months ago I was looking to replace my driveline fluids. I initally was going to bring my car to the dealer except they wanted to charge me nearly $600 for a full driveline fluid change!!! Needless to say I brought my car to AMS because it was going to be much cheaper. I was hoping that they stocked the factory t/c and rear diff. fluids but they didn't. The guy I spoke to at the shop told me that they recommend redline fluids. I was a bit hesistant at first but since I know that AMS has more experience than pretty much any shop around I trusted their judgement. They said that they would put Redline MT-90 in the transmission, lightweight shockproof in the t/c, and heavyweight in the rear diff. the also added a lsd additive to the rear diff.

I was still hesistant because of Chicago's cold winters coming up and they told me that it would be just fine and they have many people who have done it in the past. So my car has been perfectly fine and shifts exactly like it did before, I really did not notice much of a difference. However flash forward 5 months later I know am experiencing a slight t/c whine which comes on around 50-65mph on very light thottle or almost decel. It's started getting extremely cold here in Chicago and that's exactly when I started to hear the whine.

I don't know whether I should be upset at AMS or myself, i'm kinda both. I'm trying to keep my warranty because the car is stock except for a catback. I know that Mitsu will void my driveline warranty once they drain the redline fluid out. I should have done the fluid change myself but I was in the process of moving at the time and did not have a garage to use. What should I do?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmmm.... This is a TOUGH subject bro! This is the reason why you are ONLY supposed to use OEM fluids in the T-case!!!! Redline is okay to use in the Tranny, but NOT in the T-Case... Your Transfercase is done now! The only thing you really can do is buy a new T-Case.... Mitsubishi is NOT going to warranty your car with the Redline fluids in there.. This is a good time to ship your transfercase to Shep if you want to go that route...

I'm really sorry about this bro!!! Let me know what you decide to do!

Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Well that's exactly my point. Why is AMS recommending these fluids in t/c's??? I'm sure some people do fine with it but if there is even a slight percentage of t/c's going out because of the stuff then why recommend it to customers? Am I missing something? I use my car to drive to and from work, the only thing that puts a smile on my face is being able to take a spirited corner here and there and being able to feel the power up until 3rd gear. I don't use my car to autoX and I've taken it to the drag strip once and ran three times. That's the most abuse the cae has ever received! I just like the power of the stock car and I bought catback so I can hear a nice tone, that's it!

I feel like I paying for another persons mistakes, however in the end I only blame myself. I'm thinking about purchasing some diaqueen and putting it in there and driving it for another few thousand miles to see if the sound goes away. If it does then I should be good. If it doesn't then I may be able to bring it to the dealer since the factory fluids are now in it. I bought the car in Wisconsin and that's where I take it all the time for service. My question is will Mitsu be able to tell there was other than diaqueen in it at some point in time?

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Dec 3, 2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I just drove my car on the highway to get a feel for where the sound is coming from. It's been making this sound for 2 weeks (since we got below 30 degree temperatures) and it has not gotten worse but it is definitely the t-case! I can hear it predominantly at 55mph but really anywhere between 50-60mph. On full throttle I can't hear a thing, I have to have the right throttle position to hear it. At first I thought it was a sound that was always there since I bought the car but now i'm convinced it was never there before, it's actually quite annoying.

The sound does speed up when going 60mph as oppsed to 50mph but I can barely hear it at 70mph, I think I can hear it faintly in the background but it's hard to tell.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:19 PM

5 months later and you are trying to blame AMS, Im confused.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by quickgti18t
5 months later and you are trying to blame AMS, Im confused.
What are you confused about? The car only has 25,000 miles and yes the driveline fluids were changed 5 months ago by AMS. Cost me $182...

What's your point?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

If the whining of the transfer case gets louder and louder.. than yes, your t-case is f*cked.. You could always try the diaqueen idea and see if it works ( : I would rather my car be warrantied then to pay that much for a t-case.. and you don't even need a built t-case from shep if your case is stock, except for a catback... especially if you just drive it for fun and don't track it.

I would try the diaqueen idea and see what happens through mitsubishi.. I'm sure if you flush it out COMPLETELY then you should be fine.

and this guy is just asking why AMS would recommend a fluid that has a possibility of later on messing up the transfer case period.... Of course it is going to take TIME for the transfer case to start whining... 5 months is not that much time... so it is AMS's fault for telling him that Redline is similar to the Diaqueen that is MEAN'T to be used in the t-case...
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to buy some Daiqueen tomorrow. I'll see if the local dealerships have it, if not then I'll buy from lancershop.com. I wish someone could tell me if it is the t-case. It does not get louder and louder. It sounds like it's moving faster at 60mph as opposed to 50mph but at 70mph it's almost non-existant. I dont' know if it just the cold weather or what. It's only 26 degrees around here so it does play it's toll and at this temperature all the little sounds seem to get louder on the Evo if you know what I mean!

I heard a youtube video of a t/c on it's last legs and mine does not sound anywhere near as deep or bad, mine is more high pitched. You can almost talk over the sound and the radio will definitely tune it out. If it is the t/c which i'm pretty sure it is then it's just reaching the beginning stages of going out.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

You probably just have the pre-symptoms of the t-case.. I bet as you put more miles on the car.. it will eventually get louder and louder.. most of the ones you hear on youtube.. are t-cases ABOUT to go out..
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

I would like AMS to chime in at some point...

However I would like to say that I DO NOT blame AMS, i blame myself for taking AMS's word and not doing some simple research myself. This is my first brand new car so I figured that if AMS recommended it then it must be ok for the car. Little did I know after the fact that only the MT-90 meet Mitsu's specs of what they want in the tranny. Lightweight and heavyweight shock proof are not even close to their specs and I later found out that Mitsu will void my warranty if that stuff is found in there.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
You probably just have the pre-symptoms of the t-case.. I bet as you put more miles on the car.. it will eventually get louder and louder.. most of the ones you hear on youtube.. are t-cases ABOUT to go out..
Well I have found that other Evo owners who used redline in the t-case have found their t/c to be louder. Once they switched back to Diaqueen it became quiet again. I'm hoping that will be the case.....
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

I want to see AMS opinion.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i would always use the stock fluids man. i use the redline in my black evo the one i use to have and had nothign but problems!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

How can I make sure that the old stuff is flushed completely out? I'd really like to do it myself this time but i'll have to bring it to a shop. It's way too cold outside to be climbing underneath a car. Maybe i'll bring it to AMS so they can listen to it, then I'll have them flush and fill the t/c and rear diff. I like the MT-90 in the tranny and Mitsu can say thing because it's GL-4 just like they recommend.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

they are in fact only recomendations , no on put a gun to your head and ya they do know alot about evos, but mitsu knows a thing or two themselves that's why they have fluids for the car at mitsu....don't be ignorant

Quick Reply: AMS recommended driveline fluids....