Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

what would you like to see from AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting up on the cutting edge of stock ECU tuning: closed loop boost control utilizing the JDM MAP sensor, MAF-less (speed/density) mapping, working out how to utilize an ethanol concentration sensor to interpolate between a 93oct map and an E85 map (Oh yeah, Evo ECUs have enough memory in them to hold multiple maps sets...), meth failsafes based in the ECU to cut boost & retard timing(...or switch to "safety" maps)...and on, and on.

What I'm getting at is this: there are HUGE developments being made in stock ECU tuning...looks like in the near future this thing may be capable of many functions that used to be stand-alone territory, all with factory cold start/hot start, idle, and most importantly for us saddled with OBDII smog scans, the ability to pass those scans.

Offer these types of tuning services for those of us who don't have time to tinker for hours on end and/or are not tuning geniuses, but want to reap the rewards of these developments.

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Jan 5, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah but I have seen most tuners/Shops knee-jerk for the standalone because it is 99% of the time above the head of the customer and therefore must have their hands and wallets held. Also above all they are venders and if $2000 can be added to a bill, so be it. I also feel the engine pops easier with a standalone, in my experience way more stand alone Evo's have poped then Stock ecu which is a HUGE credit to the OEM ECU. Most tuners then simply state that it is the fault of the driver or another tuner. This stuff is way too expensive to pay around with and when an engine lets go the owner is almost ALWAYS left to blame.

The STOCK ECu really must be utilized, Maybe incorporate some GM MAF's, Vette's make sick power, why not Evo's?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

as a small idea.... making a front license plate bracket for an evo 8 that utilizes stock mounting points and moves the plate out of the way of the intercooler
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

More street Videos!!!!!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I for one would like to see a little better quality control on your 2.3L stroker motors. I deal with certified aviation parts on a daily basis and I can say that every part we ship out is flawless. I know you can do the same.

I just pulled this one apart. It had 30Kmi on the build.
All of the squirters were broken off. I didn't even find the 4th one. Every piston had a dent on the bottom of the skirt from where they made contact until they eventually broke off. I'm not going as far to say it caused the broken crank. However, judging by one of the oil jets, somehting got bound up.

I didn't post this to start any s**t. I just wanted to bring it to your attention so you could relay this to the ppl that assemble the engines and stress the importance of checking tolerances.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; Jan 5, 2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
I for one would like to see a little better quality control on your 2.3L stroker motors. I deal with certified aviation parts on a daily basis and I can say that every part we ship out is flawless. I know you can do the same.

I just pulled this one apart. It had 30Kmi on the build.
All of the squirters were broken off. I didn't even find the 4th one. Every piston had a dent on the bottom of the skirt from where they made contact until they eventually broke off. I'm not going as far to say it caused the broken crank. However, judging by one of the oil jets, somehting got bound up.

I didn't post this to start any s**t. I just wanted to bring it to your attention so you could relay this to the ppl that assemble the engines and stress the importance of checking tolerances.

[knee-jerk]

....You gotta pay to play...

....TOO much boost.....

....You can't drive, over rev.....

.....Poor tune........

[/knee-jerk]
Old Jan 6, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

High,
This is expected from a nutswinger.

paid the first time.
18psi - 50 trim
I've been driving turbocharged mitsus since '91.
rev limiter 7200
Tune was very safe.

Any other useless info that you would like to add?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Useless? Serach the forms, count the blown motors. Not singling out any tuners but what I have described is actally common.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

D@mn did that crank actually break?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That's some damage 30k of abuse
Old Jan 6, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

I think ppl are missing the point of the post. It was just to let mgnt. at AMS know
that this happened. Posting it here, they can't miss it.

Pistons are never to contact the squirters. These jets help cool piston as well as lube the wrist pin bearings. When they broke off, there went the cooling and lube. It was only a matter of time. The bearings were still tight so the crank couldn't have moved enough to cause it if it broke first.

The motor was daily driven and tracked a few times. Not drag raced. Oil/filter changed regularly.
I've had over 100K on a stock block and was tracked more so than this one.
When I pulled the motor apart at 170K after a spun bearing, the squirters were fine, as they should be.

I know being a stroker that you have to "modify" the squiter tips and its a tight fit.
My guess is that they were not modified correctly, or bent enough. like I said before, there are dents on the edge of all four skirts from where the piston came down and hit the squirters. It was not put together to begin with.

Now, If I tore it apart only to find a broken crank, It would be a different story.

Hell, I buy and will continue to buy AMS products.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Man that sucks, talk about painful.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

That is definatly the first broken 2.4 Evo style crank I've seen to date.

Its very hard, almost impossible to get up in there and clearance the squirters when the motor is assembled. The amount of space between the piston skirt and the crankshaft counterweight on a stroker is about the width of the squirter tube itsself.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Is it possible to make the skirt shorter? They were Ross pistons, BTW.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by smurfsevoIX
I would love to see you guys ship your car to Japan and race in tsukuba super lap battle and whip some ****!

agreed!

Quick Reply: what would you like to see from AMS?