Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

what would you like to see from AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1- Exhaust headers with dump pipe.
2- evo 9 interior work. gauge panel.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:31 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
I think ppl are missing the point of the post. It was just to let mgnt. at AMS know
that this happened. Posting it here, they can't miss it.

Pistons are never to contact the squirters. These jets help cool piston as well as lube the wrist pin bearings. When they broke off, there went the cooling and lube. It was only a matter of time. The bearings were still tight so the crank couldn't have moved enough to cause it if it broke first.

The motor was daily driven and tracked a few times. Not drag raced. Oil/filter changed regularly.
I've had over 100K on a stock block and was tracked more so than this one.
When I pulled the motor apart at 170K after a spun bearing, the squirters were fine, as they should be.

I know being a stroker that you have to "modify" the squiter tips and its a tight fit.
My guess is that they were not modified correctly, or bent enough. like I said before, there are dents on the edge of all four skirts from where the piston came down and hit the squirters. It was not put together to begin with.

Now, If I tore it apart only to find a broken crank, It would be a different story.

Hell, I buy and will continue to buy AMS products.
I spoke with Tim this morning and we space the squirter's down by using a washer, and the assembly is rotated on the stand to make sure there is no contact. Did you buy the assembled engine directly from us or did someone else put it together? Very curious about the broken crank, that's the first 100m crank we've seen break. Even if the squirter broker off the only thing that will happen is the piston won't be cooled by the oil (which can stress a piston under severe conditions). If the whole squirter assembly came out (unscrewed) then you' loose the restriction in the squirter and the oil pressure would drop and you'd probably spin a rod or main bearing. Looks like you're bearings were ok from what you're describing though. How do the piston skirts look out of curiosity?

-Martin Musial
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

The AMS t-shirts in a log sleeve version

Tom
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom W
The AMS t-shirts in a log sleeve version

Tom
Hey Tom, we actually do have those for sale. Stop by if you want to pick one up...
Old Jan 7, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to see a TS AMS Manifold.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Martin,

The pistons look skirts look great. No scuffs. The cylinder walls still have the cross hatching. The motor just smoked badly (worn rings), probably due to the lack of cooling from the tips being broken off.
The motor was bought directly from and installed by AMS, TMK, into a Galant VR4.
The squirter bases were still in place. Just the tube that sticks off of them were broken off.
There was one washer on top and one under the squirter bases. I'm pretty sure that's the stock setup. They're approx . .03125" thick (1/32").
There was no extra washer or thicker washer under the squirter base.

I have all the replacement parts. I'd like to call and ask a few questions before I reassemble this thing. Is Tim the guy to talk to?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about an AMS license plate surround?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:42 PM
Former Sponsor

EVO8emUp. Ah its a 6 bolt 2.4 crank! Now I've seen plenty of those break. Yes Tim would be the man to talk to. If he is unavailable, you could ask for myself Eric Jones.

Kins we have those in stock! Come by and pick one up!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsnt
EVO8emUp. Ah its a 6 bolt 2.4 crank! Now I've seen plenty of those break. Yes Tim would be the man to talk to. If he is unavailable, you could ask for myself Eric Jones.

Kins we have those in stock! Come by and pick one up!
Cool how much are they?
Can you send me pics?
karlrichardson1@hotmail.com

What did you guys think of my anodizing option for intercoolers and piping? I didn't see a AMS reply on that one.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:56 AM

how about some ams cams or cam gears?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:10 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Martin,

The pistons look skirts look great. No scuffs. The cylinder walls still have the cross hatching. The motor just smoked badly (worn rings), probably due to the lack of cooling from the tips being broken off.
The motor was bought directly from and installed by AMS, TMK, into a Galant VR4.
The squirter bases were still in place. Just the tube that sticks off of them were broken off.
There was one washer on top and one under the squirter bases. I'm pretty sure that's the stock setup. They're approx . .03125" thick (1/32").
There was no extra washer or thicker washer under the squirter base.

I have all the replacement parts. I'd like to call and ask a few questions before I reassemble this thing. Is Tim the guy to talk to?
Ah... 6 bolt (1G DSM), ok now we've seen and heard of those breaking. I would think you'd see some skirt scuffing from lack of cooling from the broken squirters, that would be the first symptom. I spoke with Tim and that was probably built a few years ago, back then we didn't use the washers to space them out and just bent them down a bit for clearance. Feel free to call and ask for Tim and he'd be happy to give you some help during your engine build.

-Martin
Old Jan 11, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

cf hood that is lighter than the stock one! undertray that can be removed, tubular manifold for the stock turbo. rear diffuser for the jdm bumper, maybe canards, rear wind shield wiper delete, etc,etc
Old Jan 11, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

oh and o2 housings with optional external wastegate dump...
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by smurfsevoIX
I would love to see you guys ship your car to Japan and race in tsukuba super lap battle and whip some ****!
+1,000,000,000
Old Jan 12, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is the motor failure from abuse or from building error?

Quick Reply: what would you like to see from AMS?