Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS help: My AMS exhaust silencer doesnt fit in my AMS Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
Go around the circumference of the silencer, trying to yank it out. Little by little where you pull the silencer will move back, keep doing this and it will come out, trust me that's the way I do it even when mine went in all the way; and by all the way I mean that the hole in the silencer and the one in the muffler would line up. Be patient, don't get scared or anxious, the silencer will come out.
Ohh ok, but how long does it take you to get it out?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it would go all the way in, it usually took me a couple of minutes 2-3 minutes I would say.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could try a propane touch and heat up the outside ...causing it to expand...if its cold out the silencer will be constricted.....this might get you the movement you need.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your responses....

the silencer does silence the car a whole lot.....which is nice, but I did notice a loss of low end power....so it seems according to the butt dyno.

I cant wait to get this thing out....as right now.. it sucks...
Old Jan 26, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

worst comes to worst you can get a slide hammer with a hook on the end, put it through the middle and pull it out. As long as the hook is small enough to fit inside
Old Jan 26, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

wow...I'm surprised there's so much trouble with an AMS product, I mean especiallly a silencer lol...I have a full 3" ebay exhaust and I love it, and the silencer goes in and out in 2 seconds, and tightens up perfectly, but anyways just take some vice grips and yank the **** out of it and it'll come off, and have the car running too, that'll make it easier to come out!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sekula
wow...I'm surprised there's so much trouble with an AMS product, I mean especiallly a silencer lol...I have a full 3" ebay exhaust and I love it, and the silencer goes in and out in 2 seconds, and tightens up perfectly, but anyways just take some vice grips and yank the **** out of it and it'll come off, and have the car running too, that'll make it easier to come out!
Yeah, maybe I'm weak or need to get better tools lol.....

I will look on the bright side and be glad that nothing worse is happening to my EVO right now....

although after putting the silencer in I feel like the car lost its "wild side" and sounds rather tame
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS makes the best exhaust for an evo period, matter of fact they make the best everything!!!! No Bull****.

Sean
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Ok ok everyone, I got it out.... I used my torque wrench that I normally carry under my front seat by my feet to get it out. I stuck it in and used the ratchet end to pry it out.... got it out in less than 2 minutes....

Thanks to the guy for the line hammer idea