Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS help: My AMS exhaust silencer doesnt fit in my AMS Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMS help: My AMS exhaust silencer doesnt fit in my AMS Exhaust

I just got the silencer in the mail today. By the way, thanks, you guys do great packaging work...

Now to the problem....

I cant get the silencer in..... the Vibrant muffler tip is way too tight....

can you help?

Last edited by Blue Evo 8; Jan 25, 2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who needs a silencer
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jbergmeier
who needs a silencer
Read this thread by the OP and you will see that He Does
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=320033
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One the exhaust get some heat through it, it can change in size and shape a little bit. What I have done in the past is taken a brillo pad and cleaned off the inside of the tip really well. That should be enough to get it in. Also keep in mind its going to be hard to get it out as well. Some people have had good luck modifying the silencer a little bit to make it easy to put in and pull out.

Sorry for the pain, we just never really designed the system to every have to put a silencer in it. Sucks you even have to write this post as our system is pretty quiet. Lovely local police forces.

Eric
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
One the exhaust get some heat through it, it can change in size and shape a little bit. What I have done in the past is taken a brillo pad and cleaned off the inside of the tip really well. That should be enough to get it in. Also keep in mind its going to be hard to get it out as well. Some people have had good luck modifying the silencer a little bit to make it easy to put in and pull out.

Sorry for the pain, we just never really designed the system to every have to put a silencer in it. Sucks you even have to write this post as our system is pretty quiet. Lovely local police forces.

Eric
Yeah I think your exhaust system is awesome, but to satisfy the cops around here... I gotta be able to put this thing in.....

I'll try the idea with the brillo pad...

how do people modify the silencer to put it in and get it out easily?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

another thing you could try is to put the piece in the freezer, when it gets cold it will contract(get smaller) and maybe make it easier to put in. The only problem with that is once it expands it might be in there to snug to get out
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, I got the silencer in, now what are the tricks on getting it out?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I always take mine out with a bit of force and some pliers, it never refuses to come out. The silencer can be modified very easily, all you need to do is grind a bit of material out of the OD of the silencer until getting it in and out its a bit easier, however consider friction as your friend here, as I did this mod to mine and I never use the retaining screw that came with the silencer. I just let friction do its job!!!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
I always take mine out with a bit of force and some pliers, it never refuses to come out. The silencer can be modified very easily, all you need to do is grind a bit of material out of the OD of the silencer until getting it in and out its a bit easier, however consider friction as your friend here, as I did this mod to mine and I never use the retaining screw that came with the silencer. I just let friction do its job!!!
You use long needle nose pliars right? 2 of them?

Thanks for the tip.....
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
You use long needle nose pliars right? 2 of them?

Thanks for the tip.....
Yup, use some needle nose pliers and go around around the circumference pulling the silencer and it will come out.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

I would grind the OD on the silencer to make it fit since your saying its hard to force it in...
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

To take it out, just take the screw out and drive around at WOT in every gear. Eventually it'll come out.

Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
To take it out, just take the screw out and drive around at WOT in every gear. Eventually it'll come out.

Been there done that, (not with the purpose of making it come out), once it hits the read it will be out of round, then it is a pain to get it in and out, hahaha, so not a lot of WOT runs if you run it without the securing screw!!!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
Been there done that, (not with the purpose of making it come out), once it hits the read it will be out of round, then it is a pain to get it in and out, hahaha, so not a lot of WOT runs if you run it without the securing screw!!!
I'm in a jam now.....

I just spent the last 20 minutes outside in the cold trying to yank it out with 2 needle nose pliars and the silencer is not budging. I am not happy at all as I would expect the part to slip in and slip out in less than 30 seconds....

What now then? I'm not sure what else I can do to yank the thing out. I dont see where I could get enough leverage to take it out...

help me out guys
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Go around the circumference of the silencer, trying to yank it out. Little by little where you pull the silencer will move back, keep doing this and it will come out, trust me that's the way I do it even when mine went in all the way; and by all the way I mean that the hole in the silencer and the one in the muffler would line up. Be patient, don't get scared or anxious, the silencer will come out.

Quick Reply: AMS help: My AMS exhaust silencer doesnt fit in my AMS Exhaust