Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Remote Start & Alarm??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start & Alarm??

This past Christmas my fiance bought me a Viper car alarm w/ remote start (the most expensive one). My future brother in-law works at Best Buy where my fiance purchased the alarm and he was told by one of the install techs. that they would be able to install it on my car with no problem. So just out of curiosity I called my brother who was an installer at Best Buy in Ohio, and he told me that they weren't allowed to do manual trans. cars due to the fact if someone was stupid enough to leave their car in gear they could hold best buy liable for the damages. So after hearing this from him, I went to the Best Buy in Chicago where my fiance purchased the kit, and the tech. that was there said the same thing as my brother did.
So my question for you guys, do you guys or would you guys install a Remote start w/ alarm system? Just having this car in Chicago w/out anything on it, scares me a bit, when it's getting so bad that they try to break into your car just for your freaking radar detector.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Why don't you just install it without the remote start? Is it really needed?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

no offense to ams but it would be pretty expensive for them to install the alarm if they charge you their normal labor rates. why not try a stereo/alarm install shop. there are still a few around.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We would not do it here but I'm sure there are plenty of back door places that could take care of it for you.

legally they will not do it but i'm sure someone does side work that can take care of it for you.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awdwannabe
This past Christmas my fiance bought me a Viper car alarm w/ remote start (the most expensive one). My future brother in-law works at Best Buy where my fiance purchased the alarm and he was told by one of the install techs. that they would be able to install it on my car with no problem. So just out of curiosity I called my brother who was an installer at Best Buy in Ohio, and he told me that they weren't allowed to do manual trans. cars due to the fact if someone was stupid enough to leave their car in gear they could hold best buy liable for the damages. So after hearing this from him, I went to the Best Buy in Chicago where my fiance purchased the kit, and the tech. that was there said the same thing as my brother did.
So my question for you guys, do you guys or would you guys install a Remote start w/ alarm system? Just having this car in Chicago w/out anything on it, scares me a bit, when it's getting so bad that they try to break into your car just for your freaking radar detector.
A good alarm system should not be able to even be started with the car in gear.

Anyways, they are easy to install yourself, just get a wiring diagram and match up the colors pretty much, I've done several Compustars.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bosox28
A good alarm system should not be able to even be started with the car in gear.

Anyways, they are easy to install yourself, just get a wiring diagram and match up the colors pretty much, I've done several Compustars.

I've already pulled a wiring diagram, and read the instructions.. For what it is, it sounds pretty easy, but I just wanted someone to do it, that has done it before and knows what their doing.. so it's hassle free for me.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:41 PM

I have remote start installed on my car. There are couple of quick steps that have to be done before you get out of the car to make sure that the car is not in gear when it starts back up.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 05:31 PM

Even to do the install yourself, you'll have to have an ignition bypass. It's part number should be 556U if my circuit city roadshop memory serves me right. It's really not that smart to do a r/s in a manual; they do make neutral safety switches that the remote start's brain checks before ignition, but they are prone to failure. The Viper system that she bought you is the best DEI makes and has a ton of auxillary features that you can use.... eg. auto window roll-up on arming, window roll-down when a sequence of buttons are pushed, sunroof too. Plus the improved shock sensors and broken glass sensors and motion sensors can all be added to the base module.

I say do it if you must, but it will be the one time your e-brake needs adjusted so you put it in gear and forget about it that will make you regret it. But if you put it on for the just the alarm and auxillary functions, it will be well worth the money spent.

Oh, almost forgot.... if best buy won't install the alarm portion for free, return it and go to Circuit City and get the Python 990XP (still DEI brand, and functions exactly the same) plus circuit's price includes install labor. They still won't do the remote start portion, but the alarm and keyless entry will be free install.

Just food for thought.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 05:40 PM

I assume that you have the Viper 7900. I have one installed in my car with remote start hooked up. It requires a clutch interlock which is extra. The way it works, you put the car in neutral, release the clutch, and then set the E-brake.
Now you press the remote start button twice to set-up for remote start. When you remove the key the car continues to run. When you close the door the engine shuts off. The alarm now knows that you have exited the car with it left in neutral.
The car will remote start. If you break the cycle by opening a door, the car no longer knows if it is still in neutral and will not remote start. It sounds more of a hassle than it is. I am used to the procedure and very happy with it!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by DarkEvoIX
I assume that you have the Viper 7900. I have one installed in my car with remote start hooked up. It requires a clutch interlock which is extra. The way it works, you put the car in neutral, release the clutch, and then set the E-brake.
Now you press the remote start button twice to set-up for remote start. When you remove the key the car continues to run. When you close the door the engine shuts off. The alarm now knows that you have exited the car with it left in neutral.
The car will remote start. If you break the cycle by opening a door, the car no longer knows if it is still in neutral and will not remote start. It sounds more of a hassle than it is. I am used to the procedure and very happy with it!
How much is the bypass, cause if its reasonable I'm gonna be buying me a remote start....... damn unpredictable Indiana winters....
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alarm

I have had mine installed since 2004 because i was in alaska who the hell wants to go outside to start your car at 0500 in morning at freKIN 40 OR 50 BELOW zero. So with that there is nothing wrong with installing it the problem would is it one designed for a manual tranny. You have to put your car in neutral press a button for three seconds and then get out wait for the alarm to do its things (takes a couple of seconds) and the narm the alarm. No big deal but if yours isnt designed for manual then you have an issue with there being a possibility with it starting if someone else drove your other than you. Also on one designed for a manual you cant open your doors, hood, trunk without starting your car and doing the ritual reseting of the auto start and alarm. If its not designed for a manual then dont use it.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

had a buddy who had it installed on his corvette, left the car in gear and jumped it over a 4 foot cement wall totalling his car. CF vette vs cement wall... u can guess the winner. espically with all that torque, that thing launched when he tried to start it lol
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

I always leave my car in neutral with the parking brake on. As far as the neutral safety switch, or additional component needed it was also purchased on the side as well.. sorry I forgot that little bit of info.
But I can say that if this does get returned, I won't purchase another like it. Because the normal MSRP of the kit I have I believe is $400+ and my fiance bought it with her brothers (works at best buy) discount, for just over $100.. I'd say there's only a "little" mark up there.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have a turbo timer you have to leave it in neutral anyways so it should never be a problem.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:39 PM

I work at best buy as an installer and yes it's a Liability issue, now a days nobody wants a lawsuit or bad press. For a DEI product (viper) you need a DEI 689n or m can't remeber. It's a nuetral safety device for a manual. It makes you do the sequence posted earlier. If done right it can be very safe however if not installed properly can lead to costly accidents. I had a frat brothers car plunk a nother car when remote started in a parking lot. His insurance didn't cover it because it wasn't safe.

Oh am yes theres mark-up but remember when you buy it retail price it comes with install included. You may have got it for 100 but to take it there and have it installed starts at 200 plus your bypass stuff.

Quick Reply: Remote Start & Alarm??