Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Now Available: Push Style EVO Clutch Kits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a more detailed instruction set that comes with the clutch/clutch kit itself? The PDF is a little on the vague side, missing torque specifications, and exact assembly of the extra plate. Not being familiar with a push style clutches and knowing how the Exedy pull style works its drawing a slight blank on the complete assembly of this clutch kit.

I am guessing if I had it in my hands it would make better sense, but I am sure others will have the same questions.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Czubaka
Sorry for the potentially dumb question: Outside of removing the chance of popping off the clutch fork, what advantages do the push-type clutches offer?

Back in my Suby days ('99) we envied the JDM versions because the pull-type were supposed to offer better clamping force with lower pedal effort.
Im also curious
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you guys decide to copy the same design from QuarterMaster lol jk

Im talking about the TOB
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Sorry for the potentially dumb question: Outside of removing the chance of popping off the clutch fork, what advantages do the push-type clutches offer?

Back in my Suby days ('99) we envied the JDM versions because the pull-type were supposed to offer better clamping force with lower pedal effort.
The main reason for the swap is to resolve the issue with popping clutch clips.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by itzwolf
Is there a more detailed instruction set that comes with the clutch/clutch kit itself? The PDF is a little on the vague side, missing torque specifications, and exact assembly of the extra plate. Not being familiar with a push style clutches and knowing how the Exedy pull style works its drawing a slight blank on the complete assembly of this clutch kit.

I am guessing if I had it in my hands it would make better sense, but I am sure others will have the same questions.
You get install instructions for the clutch install in the box with the Exedy clutch. The instructions linked by the OP are for the AMS portion of the kit.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240
You get install instructions for the clutch install in the box with the Exedy clutch. The instructions linked by the OP are for the AMS portion of the kit.
I've installed several twin plates so I am familiar with how they go together. When I referred to the extra plate i was looking at the ring in the picture below the pressure plate and miss read it not thinking of the actual additional starter plate. That part makes sense now that I read it again.

What torque should the AMS adapter and AMS TOB be?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome.

Last edited by Wheatley; Mar 20, 2008 at 04:43 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:45 PM
Former Sponsor

I installed our new push style clutch kit on a customers car today and decided to take some pictures of the install.

This is what you get from AMS when you purchase a full push style kit.

We also sell an upgrade kit for those who already have Exedy dual and triple plate pull style clutches.

If you are upgrading your clutch, you need to remove the clutch cover, fulcrum ring and first plate on your old kit (pictured here)

Those three pieces will be replaced by a new one piece plate / fulcrum ring and a new push style cover (pictured here)

After removing your transmission, clutch line, slave cylinder and clutch assembly, the fist step is to add a second separator plate to the back of your motor. This gives added clearance needed for the new assembly. (not pictured)

Disassemble the clutch assembly by removing the 6 allen bolts from the cover. Remove the plates and disks as an assembly and keep them oriented. Using Loctite, bolt the flywheel to your crankshaft. Torque specs can be found in the instructions provided by Exedy.

Install the plates and disks as an assembly using the provided clutch alignment tool. When installed correctly, all of the blue painted line on the Exedy clutch assembly will line up.

Install the clutch cover using loctite on the 6 allen bolts. Exedy calls for 23 lbs as the torque spec for these bolts. In this picture you can also see the second spacer between the motor and flywheel.

You are now ready to convert the transmission from pull style to push style. Remove all of the factory TOB assembly including the fork, rod, and sleeve the TOB rides on. Also remove the top rubber vent tube to make room for the new clutch lines.

Before

After

Assemble the fittings and lines on the new TOB as shown here. Tighten fittings securely.

Clean the area where the stock TOB sleeve was removed and then using loctite on all bolts, install the new TOB adapter and TOB to the transmission with the lines pointed up and routed out the hole you removed the vent tube from.

After installing the transmission, route the clutch line (longer line) to the clutch master and attach with factory banjo bolt and new supplied crush washers. Bleed the clutch and then route the bleed line to any convenient spot. I chose to use a wire clamp to attach it to the water neck.

Button up the rest of the car and you are now ready to break the clutch in.

The feel of the clutch pedal is amazing. Its heavier than stock but lighter than any aftermarket performance pull style clutch. Because its direct acting, it has a very precise feel to it. The feel of the clutch engagement will depend on the clutch you chose.

Enjoy.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the life span of the throw out bearing? Will it be sold seperately in the future? If so what would the general cost of replacement. Just wondering as I daily my car and just have to think about cost of replacement parts when the time comes.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Whats the life span of the throw out bearing? Will it be sold seperately in the future? If so what would the general cost of replacement. Just wondering as I daily my car and just have to think about cost of replacement parts when the time comes.
That is a very good question. I know that we ran the clutch on our 8.5 second drag Evo and also tested the clutch for thousands of street miles and many outings to the road course on Martin's Evo. I will try to get more info on that for you tomorrow.

As far as replacement, the part is available separately but I do not know pricing on it. It may even be serviceable. Again, I will work on getting more info for you tomorrow.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Again, another dumb question from me. I've heard of the clip popping off on the pull-style clutches; but, how often does that happen and what causes it? Is it usually a result of improper installation (i.e. someone other than AMS installing it), or do you run into problems when you start running stronger pressure plates? Or is it more of a crap-shoot, some people get lucky, others don't?

I defintely like the idea from a bullet-proof reliability standpoint.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240

The feel of the clutch pedal is amazing. Its heavier than stock but lighter than any aftermarket performance pull style clutch. Because its direct acting, it has a very precise feel to it. The feel of the clutch engagement will depend on the clutch you chose.

Enjoy.

I will second Ivans comment on how much better the clutch feels, it is a much smoother more precise feel. Great write up!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Again, another dumb question from me. I've heard of the clip popping off on the pull-style clutches; but, how often does that happen and what causes it? Is it usually a result of improper installation (i.e. someone other than AMS installing it), or do you run into problems when you start running stronger pressure plates? Or is it more of a crap-shoot, some people get lucky, others don't?

I defintely like the idea from a bullet-proof reliability standpoint.
To be honest, crap-shoot is probably best describes the situation.

Its an issue in the design of the clip combined with the design of the Evo drive train. I have seen bone stock cars that have popped clutch clips. There is a thread in "8/9 General" right now about a stock car that popped the clip.

Subaru uses the EXACT same TOB and clip and I have yet to see a Subi with a popped clip.

Improper installation can cause issues. Stronger pressure plates seem to increase the frequency of the issue. Worn / older parts seem to increase the frequency.

ACT has their TOBs machined with square cut grooves (stock is rounded) to help with the issue. Adding extra wavy washers behind the clip seems to help. Unfortunately, nothing you can do will guarantee that you wont pop a clip...... till now AMS push style clutch FTW!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Nice write up.

I am very glad this option is out there now for the Exedy clutchs since in my eyes have proven to be one of the best all around clutches that have good longevity. I am already sold on it so in due time I will put an order in, just waiting till the Twin HD needs replaced with a triple.

Quick question, what is the clamping force of this pressure plate? Is it the same as the SD or HD, or is it totally different rating altogether?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

How would you rate the feel of the clutch pedal on the push style versus a pull-style Exedy Twin HD?

l8r)

Quick Reply: Now Available: Push Style EVO Clutch Kits