Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Now Available: Push Style EVO Clutch Kits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
In the old picture can you see this clip that pops off? Im not sure what you are talking about here. If you cant see it do you have a picture of this clip?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
That's a dang sexy engine bay! Nice choice in strut tower bar too! Now you just need to slap a 42R on that bish!!
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think they sell 42R's to people with gold fetishes However, I'm glad to see this going on there!

what all clutches does this product work with?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had a clip pop. Most people can accept the fact when they blow a motor or destroy a clutch and just have to deal with it. When its a few cent part that lets go leading to hours of work and being stranded at the time of failure. its almost embarrasing. I honestly dont enjoy pulling my tranny and since its currently out and in need of new disc set, I think this will be a purchase in the next few days. Ivan, is this an off the shelf TOB nothing that was special made for this product?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
In the old picture can you see this clip that pops off? Im not sure what you are talking about here. If you cant see it do you have a picture of this clip?
The clip in the center of the pressure plate snaps into the groove in the TOB locking it together. For some reason, the clips disengages from the TOB and pressure plate and your clutch no longer works. When it pops off, it falls off the basket and ends up inside the clutch. No way to get it back on.

Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Liqquid
I don't think they sell 42R's to people with gold fetishes However, I'm glad to see this going on there!

what all clutches does this product work with?
Exedy multi plate clutches only.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240
To be honest, crap-shoot is probably best describes the situation.

Its an issue in the design of the clip combined with the design of the Evo drive train. I have seen bone stock cars that have popped clutch clips. There is a thread in "8/9 General" right now about a stock car that popped the clip.

Subaru uses the EXACT same TOB and clip and I have yet to see a Subi with a popped clip.

Improper installation can cause issues. Stronger pressure plates seem to increase the frequency of the issue. Worn / older parts seem to increase the frequency.

ACT has their TOBs machined with square cut grooves (stock is rounded) to help with the issue. Adding extra wavy washers behind the clip seems to help. Unfortunately, nothing you can do will guarantee that you wont pop a clip...... till now AMS push style clutch FTW!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to explain! You definitely have a first class solution here!