Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

I think I need AMS's expertise again...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I need AMS's expertise again...

Ok here's the deal I bought Tein Flex coilovers off a member on here with only 1500 miles on them. Coilovers look basically new. I've had them on my car for about a month and love them expect for one thing, the rears make a slight clunk sound over the slightest bumps and cracks in the road. The noise is not loud by any means but it makes me wonder if something is wrong. I've double and triple checked everything. Preload is perfect, just to the point where the spring is not jiggling around, upper bolt is tight, nothing seems to be loose. However it makes a stenage clunk. If I bounce the rear of the car I can hear a slight squeek from the outside but really no clunk. the solid upper mounts seem to be transmitting the noise much more in the cabin. I usually don't like to do this but i've come to the point where I need expert advice. I'll probably call you guys tomorrow but if could give any insight it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Have you tried adjusting the dampening to see if the sound changes or goes away?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Sometimes coilovers with "hard" top hats ie. JIC/Tein/BC/Megan/etc (pretty much anything considered "cheap") tend to do that. When I had my JIC FLT-A2 coilovers, they made the same noise.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240
Have you tried adjusting the dampening to see if the sound changes or goes away?
You know what as stupid as it sounds I haven't tried that yet and did think of that today. Right now I have it set right in the middle so I was going to try the softest and see how that goes. It's such a PITA so do the rears because I have to take out the trunk liner and I also have an SSL so I also need to take out the sub. I will try that tomorrow and see if that helps.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Sometimes coilovers with "hard" top hats ie. JIC/Tein/BC/Megan/etc (pretty much anything considered "cheap") tend to do that. When I had my JIC FLT-A2 coilovers, they made the same noise.
I guess I don't mind the noise as much as constantly wondering if everything is ok. Last thing I want is a failure in that department. The car seems tight and handles very well to my liking but it's just the noise that kills me. I know Megan's are known for a loud clunk and mine is not lthat oud but it seems like the slightest movement of the dampener causes a noise. At higher speeds the noise goes away or just drowns out because it's faint, it's at low speeds that you really hear it.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I had this noise when I installed the used flexs i got. I just played with the preload. Also make sure the top center bolt is tightened. Mine was lose for some reason.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Did adjusting the preload make the noise disappear? I have no preload right now or very minimal. I thought about giving some to see if that helped...
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor

small bumps will compress the suspension more. Preload will only effect the suspension noise at full droop if the spring unseats.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

I had the same issue with mine a couple years back. I called Tein and they walked me through the recommended adjustments for the Evo. They still sucked, so I ended up selling them and bought MR Bilsteins with eibach springs. That was 100000% better and still had great handling.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
I had the same issue with mine a couple years back. I called Tein and they walked me through the recommended adjustments for the Evo. They still sucked, so I ended up selling them and bought MR Bilsteins with eibach springs. That was 100000% better and still had great handling.
When they walked you through the adjustments did the noise ever go away?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Since you got them second hand I would suggest checking to make sure all the washers and spacers between the top hat and the coil over assembly are there and all is put together correctly.
The same noise is also associated with the spherical bearing wearing out in the top hat. ( I've had the same problem with my FLT-A2 on my WRX)
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

When you say spherical bearing you mean the pillowball? I know it has to be something simple but I'm just worried the noise will cause harm. The car seems tight and handles great it's just that noise. Is there any danger with leaving it alone until I replace the upper assembly?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
When you say spherical bearing you mean the pillowball? I know it has to be something simple but I'm just worried the noise will cause harm. The car seems tight and handles great it's just that noise. Is there any danger with leaving it alone until I replace the upper assembly?
Yes, the spherical bearing in the mount. Its very common for them to develop a light clicking/ clunking noise. Again the best thing to do is to just check everything over and make sure all is there and assembled correctly and torqued to spec.

Good luck

Rich
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

How about lubing that spherical bearing?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

I added some marine lithium grease to them without any luck in making them quieter. I'm sure it will help with overall longevity though. Well I'm going to order some replacement parts from Tein and go from there. You're not supposed to reuse the top nut so once I take it off I will need a new one anyways.