Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Inside the AMS Engineering Department...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks very nice. I've always wondered why no-one has developed an IC with intlets angling up instead of down, though (i.e. rotate the stock setup by 180*). I'd figure that with a wide-enough IC that could work...

l8r)
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

I will try and be quick..
First Catia V5 blows the doors off everything else. Ansys, abaqus, FLuent, and star CFD all have packages that work thru the catia interface and are wicked powerful. Catia is incredible when working with surfaces,, something pro-E and solidworks seriously struggle with..

Second, I am pretty sure Toyota uses Catia now,,, Ferrari as well.. AAudi and VW definitely don't use Pro-E. not sure if they do use Catai though,,,

Third,,, be wary AMS, the turbulence model that are in FLoWorks are pretty basic... I hace seen some pretty questionable results with that program...

Also when you guys do CDF you should make sure your models have proper plenums on either side of the model you are trying to flow... an extra length of 5 times the diameter is a safe assumption to let properly developed flow occur with in your model..... I could almost gaurantee that end tank won't flow like the pretty picture you supplied.... A rough calc show some pretty high velocites as well... off the top of my head, 280 m/s seems incredibly high... maybe I should double check my conversion from 11182 in/sec. Double check your boundary conditions..

Remember there is a saying with unvalidated CFD and FEA models... GIPPO.. Garbage in, pretty picture out.. the mass of colors look great, but try and get some of your parts on a flow bench to make sure you can validate your models..

Try getting a rough model of the tubes of the core incoporated into your model too..

THinking about it now, though, I am guessing you guys have probably done all this, and were careful not to show all your secrets...

Kepp up the good work and get some new times from the drag car!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CADD systems are a tool, period. You have to pick the right tool for the job and for AMS, Solidworks is inexpensive and easy to learn. Catia is a very nice package and has the potential to be the next big CADD software. But, at the moment, how many companies and especially goverment contract companies, use Catia? A hand full at best. Pro-E is used by thousands at the moment, including General Atomics, Northrop Grumman, Hughes, Lockheed Martin, Solar Turbines..etc
You want to know what is the best CADD software is, the one that has the most employment opportunities, and that would be Pro-E Wildfire.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Solo Evo
Nice engineering work! I was wondering if I was going to see some rapid prototyping.

It seems like whenever I read a thread that contains CAD images, a Pro-E vs. Solid Works debate erupts. I don't know why, though, because everyone knows Pro-E is a better CAD tool (it's FEA software leaves much to be desired (read: blows), but for that I use ANSYS).

Devin
I actually liked catia more than ansys, although ansys is much easier to use...the solid works flow tools are much easier than the CFD programs I used at my old windtunnel job too. Wonder how accurate they are...?...

all the engineers are now coming out of the wood works
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Thats why Toyota, Audi/VW, Ferrari, Harley, etc use Pro-E, right?
sorry, I should have mentioned for ease of use and for a small shop/teams budget and time schedule (most people are quicker on solidworks/inventor than pro-e)...
pro-e is supperior in big constructions, especially, as well as a few other aspects. I have hit that glass ceiling on both windtunnel projects and FSAE modeling.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63DSM
First Catia V5 blows the doors off everything else. Ansys, abaqus, FLuent, and star CFD all have packages that work thru the catia interface and are wicked powerful. Catia is incredible when working with surfaces,, something pro-E and solidworks seriously struggle with..

Second, I am pretty sure Toyota uses Catia now,,, Ferrari as well.. AAudi and VW definitely don't use Pro-E. not sure if they do use Catai though,,,

Third,,, be wary AMS, the turbulence model that are in FLoWorks are pretty basic... I hace seen some pretty questionable results with that program...

Also when you guys do CDF you should make sure your models have proper plenums on either side of the model you are trying to flow... an extra length of 5 times the diameter is a safe assumption to let properly developed flow occur with in your model..... I could almost gaurantee that end tank won't flow like the pretty picture you supplied.... A rough calc show some pretty high velocites as well... off the top of my head, 280 m/s seems incredibly high... maybe I should double check my conversion from 11182 in/sec. Double check your boundary conditions..

Remember there is a saying with unvalidated CFD and FEA models... GIPPO.. Garbage in, pretty picture out.. the mass of colors look great, but try and get some of your parts on a flow bench to make sure you can validate your models..

Try getting a rough model of the tubes of the core incoporated into your model too..

THinking about it now, though, I am guessing you guys have probably done all this, and were careful not to show all your secrets...

Do you know how much a CATIA seed cost ? At lease 50K

Hire me
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

nice to see something like this from a consumer standpoint..great work guys..this is why ams is #1 in my eyes..
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll try to get Cory or Drew to chime in on here.
We chose solidworks because it meets our needs well and the price is good. $6g's a seat isn't cheap but cheaper than the pro-e or other high end systems.
We're working on some really cool stuff and the quality, aesthetics, and performance of our products will go to new levels in the near future.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Martini - Quality Iowa State University education being put to use, aye?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

looks like good stuff
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63DSM

Catia V5 works great at surfacing, when it isnt crashing...

Most seasoned vets of catia hate V5, at least the ones I know using it. For the record, all those companies I listed do use ProE, I know this for a fact. It might just be for their machine design and not the body of the vehicle, but they do own and use Pro-E seats. Toyota even has a development contract with PTC, in which they suggest new tools to add, and PTC implements the changes. In essence, Toyota is one version ahead of the world on Pro-E.

Catia is a great tool, a great 50k tool. AMS's low parts count and simple assemblies are most likely right up the Solidworks alley, but you can never underestimate the power of Pro-E in keeping the design producible. Solidworks might let you work like crazy without throwing any red flags, aka being easy to use, but try producing that part in the real world,

By the way Martin, if your ever interested in going to Pro-E, I can definitely steer you in the right direction to get the software at the same cost as Solidworks.

Sorry about the cad debate, I promise Im done, haha. Honestly though it is great seeing places like AMS use any 3d cad tool and the add ons to make their products, its something you do not see everyday. Just one of the many reasons AMS is where it is in comparison to the lesser shops around the country.

Last edited by Tristar; Apr 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PTC sponsor
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdsevo06

PTC sponsor

Nice!

https://secure.ptc.com/appserver/wcm...8&icg_dbkey=21

And to those who will point out Mitsus Rally Program is dead and hasnt won in a while...

https://secure.ptc.com/appserver/wcm...8&icg_dbkey=21

https://secure.ptc.com/appserver/wcm...1&icg_dbkey=21
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Login required x 3.

Scorke
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Login required x 3.

Scorke
Sorry:

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/st...8&icg_dbkey=21

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/st...8&icg_dbkey=21

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/st...1&icg_dbkey=21

Quick Reply: Inside the AMS Engineering Department...