Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Inside the AMS Engineering Department...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by honki24
very nice work. That is top notch engineering. I'm no nutswinger of any performance shop, but I know good engineering when I see it. Plus way to go on Solidworks lol I hate Pro-E and Inventor.
Nice job. I go to Lane Tech and Inventor is where it's at, or according to my teacher. Maybe I should be a product engineer?

AMS, you guys are awesome. Once the summer hits, I plan on seeing your store/garage.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsevo06
CADD systems are a tool, period. You have to pick the right tool for the job and for AMS, Solidworks is inexpensive and easy to learn. Catia is a very nice package and has the potential to be the next big CADD software. But, at the moment, how many companies and especially goverment contract companies, use Catia? A hand full at best. Pro-E is used by thousands at the moment, including General Atomics, Northrop Grumman, Hughes, Lockheed Martin, Solar Turbines..etc
You want to know what is the best CADD software is, the one that has the most employment opportunities, and that would be Pro-E Wildfire.
you are on crack if you think Pro-E is the most commonly used CAD tool...
In the auto industry and aerspace... Catia is most popular.. the surfacing capabilities alone, make it the dominant CAD software package for aerospace..

Update: only Toyota's transmission group still uses Pro-E, the rest of development uses Catia...

And yes, Catia v5 does crash a bit more than it should, but it is way better than V4!

Last edited by 4G63DSM; May 1, 2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: corrections..
Old May 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by juanmedina
Do you know how much a CATIA seed cost ? At lease 50K

Hire me
I think it is even more than that... DSS charges over a hundred thousand for a fully unlocked version of catia
Old May 1, 2008, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Solo Evo
It seems like whenever I read a thread that contains CAD images, a Pro-E vs. Solid Works debate erupts.

Devin
wow Did you hit the nail on the head.

Eric
Old May 1, 2008, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Stupid engineers. Oh wait that's me too.

Good to see you guys using CAD tools, it can only help. Like the others said the standard plug-in analysis packages in Solidworks are just teasers to get you to buy the real versions. I've used the full blown non-linear Cosmos and Motion and it's pretty cool. The flow analysis in 2008 is worthless just like the Moldflow was in the prior versions. But it's better than nothing I guess.

Are those end tanks SLS or just SLA's.

For companies like AMS Solidworks owns. I work for a large company that uses Pro-E and Solidworks and projects can be finished in 2/3rds the time in Solidworks as opposed to Pro-E and it's crappy user interfaces. That's a big deal when time is money.

Boeing uses Catia and it truly is the way to go when spending the big bucks, but it is really for Billion dollar global companies. Solidworks owns the small to mid-size business market. I let customers know their project will take longer to complete if done in Pro-E, I hate it.

GO AMS, welcome to the party, for your business you TOTALLY made the correct decision to run Solidworks.

Last edited by jid2; May 1, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old May 2, 2008, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

indeed.... thinking about it rationally, it doesn't matter which one you use, as long as the guy ( or girl) running program know what they are doing...

it is the operator that matters not the software...

but with that being said,,, Catia still kicks ***!
Old May 2, 2008, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet!
Old May 2, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]

I work for a large company that uses Pro-E and Solidworks and projects can be finished in 2/3rds the time in Solidworks as opposed to Pro-E and it's crappy user interfaces.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

This is almost as bad as arguing over video game consoles LOL
Old May 2, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4G63DSM
you are on crack if you think Pro-E is the most commonly used CAD tool...
In the auto industry and aerspace... Catia is most popular.. the surfacing capabilities alone, make it the dominant CAD software package for aerospace..

Update: only Toyota's transmission group still uses Pro-E, the rest of development uses Catia...

And yes, Catia v5 does crash a bit more than it should, but it is way better than V4!
You've worked for the companies I've mentioned? I have. Northrop Grummans Global Hawk and the new BAMS, all designed using Pro-E Wildfire. General Atomics UAV Predator, and the new EMALS (Electro Magnetic Aircraft Launch System) for the new CVN, designed using Pro-E. Hughes Satelites, once again, Pro-E. If you don't have Aerospace experience, don't spread fauls information.
And don't make personal attacks on me, with your drug comment...you tool!
Old May 2, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TiALSport
There is no point in arguing over consoles ... Xbox 360 and the Wii is where it's at for gameplay, and after Sony bribing the movie industry to go with Blue Ray, I guess the PS3 is finally worth it as a BlueRay player.

l8r)

... let's see how far OT we can get... hehe
Old May 2, 2008, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
guys please stop arguing about different programs. That is not what this thread is about.

Eric
Old May 5, 2008, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

yooo i am not going to fron the race intercooler yall have on my pops car looks good and yall bettering the intercooler its time for a trade in lol
Old May 5, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TiALSport

sooo true....no wonder the rest of the world thinks engineers are nerds...

As to being back on topic...are your engineers going to get into the thread and do a little introduction of themselves? a little background or something...?
Old May 5, 2008, 11:48 AM

homemade, I was on NIU FSAE 03-07. I think I stopped by the ODU pit once and asked about your diff. I think it was the first year at the MPG.

Quick Reply: Inside the AMS Engineering Department...