Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Inside the AMS Engineering Department...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Inside the AMS Engineering Department...

Our customers are aware that we manufacture quality products, but few seem to know that each product is skillfully crafted by our talented engineering staff.

By using Solid Works’ 2008 Computer Aided Design (CAD), the AMS engineering staff manufactures quality parts that offer superior performance. The staff also employs Finite Element Analysis (FEA), a stress-tester, to make sure that each part is optimized for performance and durability before it is even made.

Finally, we put our parts through rigorous road-testing and track-testing with the AMS Road Racing and Drag Racing programs before production. If a part can withstand the abuse from our race cars, it will definitely last on the street.

AMS Product Engineer Drew Johnson

AMS Product Engineer Corey Pew

Prototype AMS Small brake kit

FMIC Prototype

Simulated flow testing

Rapid prototype FMIC End tank

Fitment testing

Thank you
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

very nice work. That is top notch engineering. I'm no nutswinger of any performance shop, but I know good engineering when I see it. Plus way to go on Solidworks lol I hate Pro-E and Inventor.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously want to learn that program.

Great job AMS. Thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

looks all too familiar...solid works is hands down better and easier to use than inventor and pro-e

rapid prototyping for the win too!!

reminds me of FSAE

Last edited by homemade wrx; Apr 29, 2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Solid Works is an amazing tool. I actually didn't know it did flow simulations.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Nice engineering work! I was wondering if I was going to see some rapid prototyping.

It seems like whenever I read a thread that contains CAD images, a Pro-E vs. Solid Works debate erupts. I don't know why, though, because everyone knows Pro-E is a better CAD tool (it's FEA software leaves much to be desired (read: blows), but for that I use ANSYS).

Devin
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome!

p.s. whats the skinny with the new IC?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:53 PM
Account Disabled

sweet. I still wouldn't spend the extra money on your parts just because you so called "Engineered Them".....oh wait, come to think of it I do have the AMS TBE, AMS FMIC, AMS LICP.......lol may just a couple of parts.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Nice work, looks all very familiar lol, Solidworks is a great program and I really like using it, the rapid prototyping is really cool too.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Cast endtanks finally, you guys are balling on a whole 'nother level now....

This is the reason why I fought with whoever was taking my order about getting my items shipped to a different address, half of us (at least me) like to give you my money in exchange not only for your service and expertise but because we know our money is putting right back into making our cars faster and better through actual engineering.

Keep it up!

Scorke
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

How much worse does the flow get moving the outlet of the endtank from the back door angle to the one the rapid prototypes are wearing? Is the 90 degree turn significantly better/worse, or was it a matter of building for compatibility with your other IC piping setups.

I imagine the turn toward the engine of the car would hurt it but its more "flat" exit in terms of location horizontally in the end tank might help it?

Scorke
Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:16 AM

AMS hooked our FSAE car up with a dyno run . Thanks for the hookup!

My new job is Pro-E intensive, I wish I could go back to Solidworks but most of our customers are hardcore Pro-E. I think SW2008 is pretty similar to SW2007 but tweaked a little bit for better "user friendliness". I've dabbled with Floworks before and it looks like you guys are using SW Motion as well for in that one pic.

The worse part is I pass by the new shop a few times a week and see all the pretty evo's outside . LMK if you guys need any sidework done

See you guys at the grand opening!

Last edited by thunderbt3; Apr 30, 2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by homemade wrx
looks all too familiar...solid works is hands down better and easier to use than inventor and pro-e

rapid prototyping for the win too!!

reminds me of FSAE
Thats why Toyota, Audi/VW, Ferrari, Harley, etc use Pro-E, right?

Solidworks is cost effective and has a great marketing campaign, use both in industry and then make a decision.

There is a reason the only battle cry Solidworks has is ease of use. I think its easier to have your 200+ part assembly not crash or lock up the computer than it is to have a few easier-to-manage icons. Solidworks has a work limit; a ceiling if you will. Dassault (the parent company) keeps it that way; partially because Solidworks is hacked together on a borrowed kernel, the other bigger reason is Dassault has Catia positioned above it in capabilities. Pro-E is one product, and add-ons determine its limits.

Nice work AMS, probably one of the few shows actually using 3d CAD and Rapid Prototyping. Very neat stuff.

Last edited by Tristar; Apr 30, 2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Solidworks is a good tool, but with it's limitations. For a shop like AMS, designing parts with some assemblies, it works great. Onces you start getting in to large top level assemblies and complex surfacing, is where Pro-E Wildfire shines.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Further Evidence of AMS #1 Status.

Sean

Quick Reply: Inside the AMS Engineering Department...