Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS 42R OWNERS. I need some answers.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AMS 42R OWNERS. I need some answers.

I'm switching to this kit from a 35R. Do I get to keep the A/C and powersteering? Also do you guys drive it on the streets as a DD. Also what are your pump gas numbers and times? What combo are you guys using on parts?
AMS team, how many of these kits are on daily driven cars that you've built? What kind of numbers are they running at the track. Also what combo of parts
The plan is to go after Buschur's pump gas time. My combo is going to be real close to the same motor that is on Paul's car, it's going to be built by the same people. With a AMS intake manifold and fuel system. Probably run Kelford 272's or or the S2's nothing crazy on that end. TRE trans and transfercase, On slicks. The car will be a full weight, no cage car, as it will still double as a street car for highway trips.

It's going to be a long expensive winter with a high goal but I got the right tuner and the best parts. I think it is can be done by an independant with the support of EVOM and my family. only time will tell.
Aaron Lassila
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

No posts from AMS? Just need alittle info guys. And if you can can you post a dyno sheet or two?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

I could not imagine driving a 42R on the streets as a DD.....

I know AMS will help you with your goals, I love your idea and what you are shooting for!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtevoracer
I'm switching to this kit from a 35R. Do I get to keep the A/C and powersteering? Also do you guys drive it on the streets as a DD. Also what are your pump gas numbers and times? What combo are you guys using on parts?
AMS team, how many of these kits are on daily driven cars that you've built? What kind of numbers are they running at the track. Also what combo of parts
The plan is to go after Buschur's pump gas time. My combo is going to be real close to the same motor that is on Paul's car, it's going to be built by the same people. With a AMS intake manifold and fuel system. Probably run Kelford 272's or or the S2's nothing crazy on that end. TRE trans and transfercase, On slicks. The car will be a full weight, no cage car, as it will still double as a street car for highway trips.

It's going to be a long expensive winter with a high goal but I got the right tuner and the best parts. I think it is can be done by an independant with the support of EVOM and my family. only time will tell.
Aaron Lassila
Hey Aaron,

We are are so excited to hear about your goal and are here to help you with whatever you need! With the 42R kit you will have to get rid of your AC but can keep the power steering no problem. The downpipe runs right where the AC compressor mounts to the block so it has to go. We have had a few customers purchase this kit and drive it on the street with no problems because the spool up is not that bad with the right engine setup.

As far as pump gas numbers, we really haven't had anybody try to get the most out of this setup on pump gas because of the turbo size. You can't get too much out of it before detonation takes over. I was talking to Chris and he stated that depending on your motor setup you should be able to get around 600whp give or take but that woud be on 93 oct. Again we dont have any times on these cars at the track on pump gas because they all run race gas so it would be interesting to see what you can do if this is your goal!

As far as motor setups go we have had guys run the 2.1 drag motor, 2.3RR, and the 2.0 bottom ends with ported heads. Im sure now they will use the CNC head with the 42R turbo but we havent had any yet do to its new arrival on the market. We recommend a minimum of 93 oct for pump gas with this turbo setup. Please let us know if you have any further questions or feel free to call the shop and talk to a salesman and we can get you on your way.

Last edited by Andrew@AMS; Oct 9, 2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
Hey Aaron,

We are are so excited to hear about your goal and are here to help you with whatever you need! With the 42R kit you will have to get rid of your AC but can keep the power steering no problem. The downpipe runs right where the AC compressor mounts to the block so it has to go. We have had a few customers purchase this kit and drive it on the street with no problems because the spool up is not that bad with the right engine setup.

As far as pump gas numbers, we really haven't had anybody try to get the most out of this setup on pump gas because of the turbo size. You can't get too much out of it before detonation takes over. I was talking to Chris and he stated that depending on your motor setup you should be able to get around 600whp give or take but that woud be on 93 oct. Again we dont have any times on these cars at the track on pump gas because they all run race gas so it would be interesting to see what you can do if this is your goal!

As far as motor setups go we have had guys run the 2.1 drag motor, 2.3RR, and the 2.0 bottom ends with ported heads. Im sure now they will use the CNC head with the 42R turbo but we havent had any yet do to its new arrival on the market. We recommend a minimum of 93 oct for pump gas with this turbo setup. Please let us no if you have any further questions or feel free to call the shop and talk to a salesman and we can get you on your way.

i have a question. what is the price difference from 2.0 to 2.1
Old Oct 7, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

keep us posted
Old Oct 7, 2008, 02:28 PM

Our 2.0 short blocks start at $3,050.00, but can range up in price depending on options. Our 2.1 drag short block starts at $8,950.00.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 04:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest difference in price is that the 2.1 does not have any core exchange program. If you were to buy a 2.0 with no core being sent in they star at $5150.00

Just about everything in the 2.1 is custom...but as the drag car shows, its all for a good reason

Eric
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
The biggest difference in price is that the 2.1 does not have any core exchange program. If you were to buy a 2.0 with no core being sent in they star at $5150.00

Just about everything in the 2.1 is custom...but as the drag car shows, its all for a good reason

Eric
I've heard that you got to sleeve the 4G64 to make it safe to put all that power down. Like the kind of power that drag car makes.....137MPH in the 1/8th is just crazy.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mtevoracer
I've heard that you got to sleeve the 4G64 to make it safe to put all that power down. Like the kind of power that drag car makes.....137MPH in the 1/8th is just crazy.
No need to sleeve any 4G blocks. Our drag car block isnt.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
No need to sleeve any 4G blocks. Our drag car block isnt.
Those two statements are redundant

Scorke
Old Oct 8, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

i use a 42r for just s street car and nothing else. I love it, but its not everyones cup of tea.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbergmeier
i use a 42r for just s street car and nothing else. I love it, but its not everyones cup of tea.
i agree except i have a gt40...let me tell you though if you want to pass a car at time you will have to pass many lol
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jbergmeier
Send me some pics of your car and a dyno graph if you can. Sounds like a beast. What kind of track times?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

i made 976 on the ams gt42r kit, and ran out of fuel so i had to bring it back to 920... but i would have deff made well over 1000hp if i went with an additional pump.