Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Installing wrist pin retainers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing wrist pin retainers

Is there a secret? I've having lots of troble getting the retainers into these ross pistons. It is much harder with the pin intersecting the oil ring like that.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor

There are some easy ways to get them installed but its probably impossible to explain in a forum post.

First lock:

Wrist pin hole facing the floor. Squeeze the lock with ends facing up and push it into the hole. Center of lock should be past the retaining groove. Rotate the lock till you get the ends started in the groove. Push pin in from opposite end to seat the other side.

Second lock:

Squeeze lock while pushing bottom of circlip into groove against the pin. Try to get ends to stick in pin hole. Use screw driver to push ends into place.

Best I can do over the forum. Hope it helps.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240
There are some easy ways to get them installed but its probably impossible to explain in a forum post.

First lock:

Wrist pin hole facing the floor. Squeeze the lock with ends facing up and push it into the hole. Center of lock should be past the retaining groove. Rotate the lock till you get the ends started in the groove. Push pin in from opposite end to seat the other side.

Second lock:

Squeeze lock while pushing bottom of circlip into groove against the pin. Try to get ends to stick in pin hole. Use screw driver to push ends into place.

Best I can do over the forum. Hope it helps.
That's the approach I've been taking. If it's normal for it to be a pain then i'll just keep cussing and fighting them. I got one in but I wouldn't call it a victory on my part... At one point it shot out of the piston and i had to spend almost an hour looking for it.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Just for reference, i had the wrong wrist pin retainers in with my pistons. Called Ross and they were SUPER cool about it. Sent me the correct retainers. I had them in in about 30 minutes.