Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Mods for evo engines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods for evo engines

Guys would love your experience on this. I have a 2003 evo VIII engine mods are cold air intake, bov, ams lower intercooler pipe, vishnu catback exhaust, and a custom ams tune. The suspension brakes have all been taken care of. The car runs really good for an almost stock car. I do high speed autocross with this car in mcscc and I am the 2008 XP class champion. However i always want to get more out of the car. Next year I'm sure will bring faster mustangs, corvettes and sti's in the class. Would headers make a difference with these engines. If not what mod would be best to do on the car to get the best bang for the buck? Thanks for any help you can give me. Winter is coming and is the best time for me to get you guys to work on car.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

just get porting on your stock exhaust mani. its the cheaper more efficient way for stock turbo. everyone on here will tell you that! and tubular headers tend to crack under extreme conditions.

cams help a lot on an evo also
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

ReSEARCH is your friend
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor

My first suggestion would be an AMS front mount. Running high speed autocross and road racing events is going to heat soak the stock fmic very quickly. With an upgraded front mount it is going to take much longer to head soak and allow the engine to maintain higher power levels for a longer period of time.

As far as a manifold i would not suggest it. We have done some testing in the past and found almost zero gain from a tubular manifold.

As far as engine mods i would recommend a mild set of cams like a GSC S1 or a Kelford 264/270 setup. With a mild cam you will not loose a lot of your low end like you would with a 272 or bigger.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:27 PM

Thanks Dan, those are very good suggestions I agree on the cooling. I will do some reading about the cams. I assume that I will need another custom tune if I get the cams. Is that a correct statement?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jonjon123
Thanks Dan, those are very good suggestions I agree on the cooling. I will do some reading about the cams. I assume that I will need another custom tune if I get the cams. Is that a correct statement?
Yes you are correct sir.