Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Road Racing Abuse. The Evo LOVES it!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Racing Abuse. The Evo LOVES it!!!

After SEMA, Martin and I headed out to Cali with our X in tow where we met up with Ryan Gates and his AMS sponsored Evo X to compete in several races .

First on the list of events was NASA. Martin and Ryan wanted to run in the HPD class to get used to Buttonwillow. Martin had never run this track and both cars are rocking new setups. This event consisted of four 20-25 min track sessions.

Second up was the Evo V Sti shootout which we were both invited to. This consisted of a 20 min practice session, one 20 min time attack, one 5 lap battle and a single lap combined relay race.

The last race was Super Lap Battle. This consisted of one 20 min practice session and three 25 min timed sessions.

Add up all the runs and you end up with about 8 hours of actual road racing between the two cars!!!!

After watching the 5 lap battle during the Evo V Sti Shootout, I started thinking about the abuse these cars take. The event consisted of a warm up lap and then 5 "***** to the wall" laps and a cool down lap. Five laps at Buttonwillow for our car is TEN FULL MINUTES of the most abuse you can give your Evo for EACH car!!! Being a drag racer who is used to running a car for less than 10 seconds at a time, this was mind opening for me personally.

10 minutes is SIXTY times longer than 10 seconds is!!! I still am having a hard time fathoming how much abuse this is on a car and how well these cars held up.

Our X has 14K miles on the 100% stock long block. It and sports the AMS prototype turbo kit with a PTE 30r V-band, AMS full exhaust, AMS hot side pipe, AMS prototype cold side pipe, AMS FMIC, AMS cold air intake, AMS prototype surge tank, AMS shifter bushings and AMS front motor mount. We are testing out JRZ RS Pro suspension. More details on the build can be found in our TAX Back on Track thread.

Ryan's car sports the same AMS mods but runs the FP red turbo and KW suspension.

Last edited by Ivan@AMS; Nov 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Great post Ivan, I couldn't agree more. It can't be stressed enough how well these cars have held up...THOUSANDS of miles of true abuse over and over and over. Both of our cars are making sick power, the stock longblocks have handled the power like champs. It's pretty crazy to think the stock engine can withstand repeated laps at WOT with 450+ whp and still come off track without sweating...not to mention the all the jarring it takes from hitting the curbs on track all day. It's really a true testament to AMS' awesome parts and a great tune, thanks to everyone at AMS! So much for the "weak" aluminum block theory....haha

Last edited by BlackTrack; Nov 13, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Great post Ivan, I couldn't agree more. It can't be stressed enough how well these cars have held up...THOUSANDS of miles of true abuse over and over and over. Both of our cars are making sick power, the stock longblocks have handled the power like champs. It's pretty crazy to think the stock engine can withstand repeated laps at WOT with 450+ whp and still come off track without sweating...not to mention the all the jarring it takes from hitting the curbs on track all day. It's really a true testament to AMS' awesome parts and a great tune, thanks to everyone at AMS! So much for the "weak" aluminum block theory....haha

I never get sick of seeing an Evo on two wheels! Great pic!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Great job for both Ryan and Martin! I was out at the SLB yesterday and was amazed at the times both cars were pulling in street class trim. Can't wait for AMS to go crazy on that X making it an Unlimited class car!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Insanity.

Which one was faster?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

^^+1
Old Nov 13, 2008, 01:09 PM

More info and pics!

Evos look better on 2 wheels...
Old Nov 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great to hear the newest round of X setups being tested - and coming out all positive - on the track!

Ryan's pull truck has gotta be stacking up the miles too; you've been everywhere especially since September dude!

Keep that info coming guys!

Last edited by boomn29; Nov 13, 2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

The amount of stress and heat these motors are being put through is amazing right now. I definitely have alot of confidence in these motors.

When they are tuned properly for horsepower while keeping safety in mind, they seem to be holding up very well without even removing the valve cover!!!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Nice work guys! Love the two wheel action
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

How would you compare the strains of road racing to those of driving a car on the street or on the drag strip?

Scorke
Old Nov 14, 2008, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

It doesn't surprise me one bit that these motors are holding up well to this abuse. Just look at the SR20 motor that has been around forever. Aluminum all the way. I had to chuckle at the people freaking out about Mitsu going Aluminum.

Keep up the great work AMS!!

-E
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:59 AM
Former Sponsor

scorke, they dont even compare. It would be like giving your car to a strung out meth head and having him run from the cops.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
scorke, they dont even compare. It would be like giving your car to a strung out meth head and having him run from the cops.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS

ROFLMAO

Quick Reply: Road Racing Abuse. The Evo LOVES it!!!