Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Building a bullet proof 4b11 motor

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a bullet proof 4b11 motor

Over the last few months I have been looking at internal engine upgrades for the 4B11 evo X motor. We knew to push the limits and be reliable with these new aluminum blocks we’d have to look into sleeving. I contacted our friends at ERl, who are pioneers in the sleeving industry. From upgrading Honda blocks to tricked out tall deck LS1’s I knew these were the guys I wanted to work with. Starting from a brand new OEM block we started machining away the OEM cylinder liners. During the machining process measurements were taken to verify we weren’t disrupting the structure of the block. After removing all of the necessary material and machining a step at the top of the bore a final inspection is done to ensure no block distortion. This is where ERL can work their magic. ERL then installed proprietary ductile iron sleeves which are pressed in and sit in the machined step so they will not sink during engine operation. Once in place the new sleeves are machined flush or in our case a few thousands above the rest of the deck surface. This is similar to an o-ring and will help increase the clamping force on the head gasket. Each block then receives final bore sizing and cross hatching. Next we install AMS spec main studs and align hone the main journals. This is done to 100% verify that there was no movement in the block during any of the other machining processes. Now I’m ready for the internals!! Here are some pics of the build so far.

Last edited by Tim@AMSperformance; Dec 29, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Nice liners!!

Your studs are too short. You should have at least one full thread [turn] of stud thread exposed beyond the nut.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

The studs are not torqued down completely. So there will be a little more thread through the nuts.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Sleeves are a big set back for these 4B11 motors.Ill take an iron closed deck block any day.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gordian79
Sleeves are a big set back for these 4B11 motors.Ill take an iron closed deck block any day.
Not knocking what AMS is doing by any means.. I feel the same though.. Closed iron block gives so much more peace of mind..
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Not knocking what AMS is doing by any means.. I feel the same though.. Closed iron block gives so much more peace of mind..

Unless somebody starts casting or forging entire blocks, that will never happen, this is the best option.

Scorke

Last edited by scorke; Dec 29, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Now you are the first to solve the sleeve problem, it is going to be very interest to see how much power this new engine can actually produce with out busting.

How much pressure are these sleeves rated to handle?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:01 PM
Former Sponsor

I disagree. A ductile Iron sleeve is far superior to the bore surface in a cast iron block. Its stronger, cleaner, thicker, and can be bored over further once scarred or worn without risking its integrity.

Once a 4g63 starts cracking cylinder bores (which they do at very high cylinder pressures), it cannot be sleeved due to its design and you have to take extreme measures to support the backside of the cast bore.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
I disagree. A ductile Iron sleeve is far superior to the bore surface in a cast iron block. Its stronger, cleaner, thicker, and can be bored over further once scarred or worn without risking its integrity.

Once a 4g63 starts cracking cylinder bores (which they do at very high cylinder pressures), it cannot be sleeved due to its design and you have to take extreme measures to support the backside of the cast bore.
I guess only time will tell.. there is nothing worse IMO than a twisted block and dropped sleeves.. Thats something the honda guys still cant eliminate.. When these open blocks start making 1000+whp and staying together ill trust the 4b11 a little more..

Btw.. you guys are doing the right thing dont get me wrong.. I just dont have a lot of faith in the 4b11 for what i like to do which is drag race,..
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Doe this mean possible evo x drag car down the road??
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:21 PM
Former Sponsor

The X isn't the most ideal platform for drag racing due to its size, weight, frontal area, ayc rear end, and gearing. But I wouldn't say it wont eventually happen!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

theres no doubt ductile sleeves are stronger then iron blocks.but they are supported in an aluminum block.what im saying as far as a set back is the scenario honda guys go through.having to spend an extra $1500(guestimate) for sleeving block while us 4g63 guys just drop in slugs and rods and we are good to go with minimal machine work and downtime.Even when they get sleeve blocks still twist and sleeves drop.not hating at all on your build im just pointing out that itll cost a whole lot more money to build 4b11 to 4g63 standard.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'm eager to see what the final asking price will be for this engine once all the R&D is finished.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

theres no doubt ductile sleeves are stronger then iron blocks.but they are supported in an aluminum block.what im saying as far as a set back is the scenario honda guys go through.having to spend an extra $1500(guestimate) for sleeving block while us 4g63 guys just drop in slugs and rods and we are good to go with minimal machine work and downtime.Even when they get sleeve blocks still twist and sleeves drop.not hating at all on your build im just pointing out that itll cost a whole lot more money to build 4b11 to 4g63 standard.
I don't think anyone is debating that. They just want to push the 4b11 to see what it is capable of. I say go for it. If what you are saying happens then it happens and everyone will learn from their R&D.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a good point, sleeved motors have the advantage in that area seeing as if the sleeve does happen to crack without damage to the block there is a possibility to press it out and refit it with a new one or a thicker one. When I read that a step is machined to keep the sleeve in place, that really shows engineering ingenuity, not just because it makes the most sense to do so, but alot of large manufacturers apply this theory as well for press fit assemblies. Am not sure bout this but most likely the sleeves are heat treated to improve strength then honed out to fit the pistons and eliminate any material expansion created via aforementioned process, a cast aluminum block fitted with these sleeves might proove to be just as good or superior taking into factor if the 4b11 aluminum cast might be brittle (or the sleeves its fitted with, which can also be caused via improper heat treating where internal cracks are prematurely induced which can get larger based on abuse). But bigupps to ams for thinking ahead and creating a well built motor. Seeing as erl are great at making honda big blocks, I'm pretty sure their sleeves will work flawlessly with the new mitsu motor.

Quick Reply: Building a bullet proof 4b11 motor